Transmission gauge

firesq14

Observer
Hello all,

99 suburban here. Looking to add a trans gauge. Have no idea how I would do this. Where would I add the connection? It is the.... Hmmmm 460le.? I know it is the new 700r one just having a senior moment trying to remember.

Thanks,

Chris

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
on my 700r4 I had to drill the pan and add a B&M sensor.
Not sure on your setup but it was not hard and could be part of a filter/fluid service anyway
Oh and I went with an Autometer gauge

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
You mean a 4L60E?

Google still seems to work.

Quick search yielded this...

60067d1143737346-new-b-m-trans-temp-gauge-4l60e.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Yep, already a high pressure test port plug just begging to be removed and replaced with a gauge sender. You after pressure or temp?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
A Scangauge II might show trans temp. It does on my '07 4runner and it did on my '99 4runner, too. All depends on whether there is a sensor that sends that info to the OBD computer.

rayra

Expedition Leader
With a Suburban and looking for temp I'd suggest that instead of messing with the trans port you instead use the factory trans cooler connections at the radiator and put in a T-connector that lets you add the temp sensor bulb to the hot side 'in' to the radiator tank, at the tank top, passenger side. Preferably with a bit of extension away from the radiator end tank. That will be the trans fluid near its hottest.
But the gauges usually have a brass coupler that fits the trans test port plug, 1/4" NPT? And the gauge line is usually sized to reach that area, 48"-54" long usually. And that won't reach the radiator trans cooler line junction.
You putting a gauge set on the A-pillar?

rayra

Expedition Leader
They are on ebay and amazon as well, I didn't google enough to really find a brand name or manufacturer. Some were as little as $20, the one I linked above was $70, price seems to ratchet up with the number of gauges, even though the assembly usually covers the whole pillar. Summit Racing, JEGS, places catering to the street racer market should have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles