Trasharoo alternatives

ArkansasDon

Observer
IMO, you can not beat the Trasharoo. I line mine with a 55gal contractors trash bag were I keep a entire roll of them at the bottom of the bag. I mounted mine on the spare tire of my trailer & it rides nicely, serves the wife & I well. It's well design with many compartment's for all kinds of tools, accessories to be added.
004.JPG

Reactions: MCX

wileybyrd

IMO, you can not beat the Trasharoo. I line mine with a 55gal contractors trash bag were I keep a entire roll of them at the bottom of the bag. I mounted mine on the spare tire of my trailer & it rides nicely, serves the wife & I well. It's well design with many compartment's for all kinds of tools, accessories to be added.
View attachment 483010
Nice trailer setup. I need to do something similar to your tongue box. Do you know what brand it is and where you got it from?
Thanks,
Will

ArkansasDon

Observer
Harbor Freight 2-3/4 cu. ft. tongue box. I built the trailer over a year ago, done everything including all the electrical. Build took me 9 1\2 months from start to finish.
006.JPG003.JPG

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    745 KB · Views: 66

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I been rocking this unit for about a year now (on the spare tire full time) ...
Unlike the Trasharoo it has not fallen apart..... and not as big either.... but def better materials i think....

20181130_132016~2.jpg

Last edited:

NevetsG

Never in my life would I have thought a trash bag could generate so many responses. Wow, learn something new every day.

I've never considered a mounted trash bag, because we don't generate very much garbage, and what we do generate can usually fit in a small plastic bag. If it has stinky stuff, I will triple bag it to keep the stink out for the short trip to the nearest garbage pail.

We typically burn the wood based paper products in our campfire, and we will also toss any food scraps in the fire as well.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I've never considered a mounted trash bag, because we don't generate very much garbage, and what we do generate can usually fit in a small plastic bag.
I usually pack gear in it... depending on the trip... tarps, wet suits, recovery gear, fire wood, small propane or white gas bottles, and yes some trash as well....

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Camped for quite a while now and have never had the urge to carry trash, or anything else, on the spare.. or otherwise hanging off the vehicle.

Like others; we burn and sterilize trash in the fire, when practical & legal.
...And generate minimal trash (think like a backpacker and reduce packaging before the trip) then pack it out (except for beer cans when group camping; the trash for a week (2 people + the pup) easily fits in a plastic grocery carryout bag from wallymart).. do a double knot in the handles and it is done except to drop it into the trash on arrival at home... even the sterilized trash and unburnables from the campfire need this when campfires are allowed.

Everyone is different though; so do what works for you.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Hoping to bump this thread. I pulled out my Trasharoo today and found that one of the plastic buckles is broken. :( I could jury-rig it together, but it's in rough shape.

The Howling Moon bin looks like it's the right size for me and the price isn't too bad. Anyone have one? How has it held up? If that PVC is half as tough as the cover on my Eezi Awn I'd pay $80.00 bucks for it.

I'm pretty lazy and generally leave the trash bag on the rear tire for three seasons (usually four seasons). Trash used to be a PITA for me until I inherited the Trasharoo.

If you have a truck with a bed trash is pretty easy to deal with. If you have a rig without a bed, it's a problem.

With an external bag I don't have to worry about my dogs (or other peoples' dogs) getting into my camp trash. I don't have to police the rig for garbage when I get home because it's all in one place. Surprisingly, I use it all the time in the yard and all sorts of social gatherings that are not camping trips. Very handy IMO.

I do wonder about keeping it on the back of the rig in Griz country though. Anybody else wonder about that? I suppose it's better than keeping it in the car. Who wants to hang camp trash up in a tree and take it down three times each day? Lotta work.

Oogs

I'm on my second Trasharoo as the first one failed due to a dry rotted strap that tore. I left it attached for 2 years and the UV just tore it up. I called Trasharoo and they were not willing to perform a repair despite the bag still being usable. Instead they offered me a pretty good discount on a new one. This one only comes out when I need it and after 2 years is still in good shape.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I'm on my second Trasharoo as the first one failed due to a dry rotted strap that tore. I left it attached for 2 years and the UV just tore it up. I called Trasharoo and they were not willing to perform a repair despite the bag still being usable. Instead they offered me a pretty good discount on a new one. This one only comes out when I need it and after 2 years is still in good shape.
I always washed mine after every trip and stored it inside. It lasted about five years. Washing removed the grit that tears up the fabric.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Anyone here actually tried the Howling Moon version? The size and material look good for my needs, but I'd like to make sure that there is some way to hang a trashbag in it (it has a zipper on the lid...so not sure if clips will work).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne