Trasharoo with out a tire carrier?

sailorcolin

Observer
I am needing a solution for trash during my adventures. One of my friends has a trasharoo that he mounts to a spare tire which is great. BUT whenever I go it alone or he is no with us, we have to store the trash inside the cabin of my Xterra. I know people mount trasharoos to non-rear tire carriers, like a rear hatch and I was wondering how the effects the paintwork? I don't have a rear ladder to mount it to, but I am really in need of a trash solution. Or if anyone has a better, or non-trasharoo solution please feel free to share.

bdichristina

Bobby D.
I have a Grand Cherokee which also has no rear tire carrier or other brackets on which to mount my Trasharoo. I simply strap it over the lift gate and it sits just above the rear bumper and extends slightly up into the rear window view. As many times as I've done this, I've not noticed any damage to the paint on the lift gate. Though I am not as concerned with the paint as you might be, you could always use a section of that soft rubber, non-skid, shelf liner that you would use under plates between the Trasharoo and your Xterra.

sailorcolin

Observer
I have a Grand Cherokee which also has no rear tire carrier or other brackets on which to mount my Trasharoo. I simply strap it over the lift gate and it sits just above the rear bumper and extends slightly up into the rear window view. As many times as I've done this, I've not noticed any damage to the paint on the lift gate. Though I am not as concerned with the paint as you might be, you could always use a section of that soft rubber, non-skid, shelf liner that you would use under plates between the Trasharoo and your Xterra.
She's no show rig, but I wouldn't like to drive around with a noticeable scratchy spot on the tail gate.

RigidYota

Did you find the tailgate struggles to lift when full?

MuckSavage

Adventurer
buy a cheap bike rack that goes into your 2" receiver. Strap it to the bike rack. Sure, it's a pain when you want to open the liftgate, but it'll keep the Trasharoo off the paintwork.

DorB

Adventurer
Here is my solution.
Made from a old garden chair, but you can improvise from a bike rack(seen one).

fca0bd79d8f9b9e2130ac697f17db7ce.png

6a69db30f70bc09f4d55ed2aac03bea6.png

And folded:

8e2b5e2c6af5363ece717e2bf23b6397.png

pith helmet

Just figured I’d add to this old thread rather than start a new one. I’ve been using these as a road-trash bag for years. As a long time canoeist I have plenty around.

A 13 gal plastic trash bag fits inside as a liner. You can seal it up and can be tied to a rack or bungeed to a spare, etc.
When you close it, it’s practically leak and smell free and can even be stored inside the vehicle if necessary. F350DDE8-4E9A-443B-A3A5-FC394BCEA2EF.jpeg

Last edited:

MiamiC70

I’m looking for same and haven’t come up with a really good solution On my Outback. However, like one of the posters suggested I keep thinking the answer is a cheap bike rack you can mount to rear hatch with 6 straps and hooks.

TexasGunnersmate

trash bag boat cleats.jpg camping guad riv.jpg
I bolted boat cleats to the side of the truck to hang the trash bag. Use them when we camp since I fold the tire down and use it as a step. I put a pair of cleats on both sides so I can hang the bag on either side depending on how we're situated

Reactions: WVI

dstefan

Hang it however you want to and use this on the paint. My Trasharoo hangs on the paint when full-ish and there’s ALWAYS abrasive dust on it. The film is easy to apply, pretty much invisible and removable down the line. So far it’s doing a great job for me. I’ve also used dry bags as mentioned earlier by someone else and they were great too.

billiebob

I've always wondered how well a trasharoo on the spare tire works passing thru a bear jam.....
seems like it would attract unwanted attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online