Travel tools for rental car?

thezentree

pretend redneck
I'm not sure if this is the right subforum, but...

There was an article on the blog side of ExPo not too long ago talking about a "fly and drive" kit that focused on camping/hiking gear, but it got me thinking about a similar kit for trail fixes on a rental vehicle. I'll color this with the fact that earlier this year my wife and I flew out to Las Vegas, rented a JL, and went tearing around Death Valley for a couple of days. We were out past Racetrack Playa when I put a 2" gash in the sidewall of the very worn street tires that Jeep had. For those of you who haven't been, that's 30 miles down a dirt two track past Ubehebe crater, which is a solid hour of highway driving from any real civilization. It's pretty remote. Granted, we had food and plenty of water and there's enough traffic out there that I wasn't worried that we were going to end up like the minivan Germans, but it could have made for a really long night with cold sandwiches for dinner, a very grouchy wife, and a real expensive recovery bill had we not had a spare tire and the tools to change it.

It would have really sucked if we had cut a second tire though.

With all that in mind, I want to put together a minimalist kit that easily fits in a suitcase that might help with stuff like this. I'm not looking to change a broken stub shaft, and obviously I'm not trying to bring a Snap-On truck and a dealer parts counter with me, but it'd be nice to have a little more than a cell phone to get out of the kind of mess in which I invariably find myself in a rental jeep. So, thinking:

1. The smallest good 12v air compressor I can find (any recommendations?)
2. Tire plug kit and sidewall slug
3. Good multitool
4. Jumpstart pack
5. 100mph tape wrapped around a lighter

Anything else? Is this a dumb idea?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Not sure you will effectively fly with a jumpstart pack or a lighter.

Personally, I would simply know and adjust my limits when traveling in a rental car. I’ve been on several 4x4 trails or just sketchy backroads in rented Jeeps, and usually just turn around a lot sooner than I would in my own rig. Often, this is due to downed trees and not having an axe or saw.

billiebob

I'm not sure if this is the right subforum, but...

There was an article on the blog side of ExPo not too long ago talking about a "fly and drive" kit that focused on camping/hiking gear, but it got me thinking about a similar kit for trail fixes on a rental vehicle. I'll color this with the fact that earlier this year my wife and I flew out to Las Vegas, rented a JL, and went tearing around Death Valley for a couple of days. We were out past Racetrack Playa when I put a 2" gash in the sidewall of the very worn street tires that Jeep had. For those of you who haven't been, that's 30 miles down a dirt two track past Ubehebe crater, which is a solid hour of highway driving from any real civilization. It's pretty remote. Granted, we had food and plenty of water and there's enough traffic out there that I wasn't worried that we were going to end up like the minivan Germans, but it could have made for a really long night with cold sandwiches for dinner, a very grouchy wife, and a real expensive recovery bill had we not had a spare tire and the tools to change it.

It would have really sucked if we had cut a second tire though.

With all that in mind, I want to put together a minimalist kit that easily fits in a suitcase that might help with stuff like this. I'm not looking to change a broken stub shaft, and obviously I'm not trying to bring a Snap-On truck and a dealer parts counter with me, but it'd be nice to have a little more than a cell phone to get out of the kind of mess in which I invariably find myself in a rental jeep. So, thinking:

3. Good multitool
4. Jumpstart pack

There is no limit to the tools you might need. Maybe pack a reciever winch???

You got a flat because you were not paying attention. My minimalist kit would include some first aid bits and water long before I packed a tire patch kit. In 40 years I have had 4 flats. And the spare tire solved all those issues.

jmmaxus

Most rentals Jeeps included your not supposed to take off-road that’s why Farabees in Death Valley gets a lot of business cause the Airport Rentals in Vegas are a no go. I’d stick to companies where it’s allowed and recovery and kit are already provided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I get it. If you travel and explore via car rentals and wish to have "options" why not have a small kit. Back in my professional travel days I always had a small EDC kit before it was cool (and I could carry it on). But, In the last 10 years my wife and I have gotten into the whole one-way car rental vacation thing. Meaning, fly into one city, rent a car, drive and explore across 4-5 states, drop car and fly out of another airport/city. These trips have allowed us to see far more of the US then we could've done via our Land Cruiser, Tiger or motorcycles.

A couple of options you have:

1) Pack a small kit and ship it to the first hotel your staying at and pick it up when you check in. Call the hotel first to make sure they'll accept and hold it for you upon check in. Ship it home on your last day. Takes like 5 minutes and $9 in a flatrate pack at the local Post Office.
2) Check with TSA to see what can go as "check in" luggage and what can't. Lithium jump packs and aerosol fix a flat cans would be no goes but, tools, tape, tire repair kits would work.
3) Or, swing by the local Walmart auto center in the town your in. Buy whatever auto repair gear (and gallon jugs of water so your not buying and throwing away bottled water from gas stations, just refill) you think you'll need (make a short list) for your trip. Tie it up in the bag with the receipt and put it in the trunk with the receipt. If you need it, you got it. If you don't, spend 5 minutes and return it to Walmart before jetting off.
4) Finally, check with AAA and see about their Road Side Assistance membership and how it applies to rental cars (not rental car insurance) I'm a huge fan of AAA! This may save you a ton of time and give your wife a peace of mind.

Safe travels!

Last edited:

thezentree

pretend redneck
There is no limit to the tools you might need. Maybe pack a reciever winch???

You got a flat because you were not paying attention. My minimalist kit would include some first aid bits and water long before I packed a tire patch kit. In 40 years I have had 4 flats. And the spare tire solved all those issues.

I'm trying really hard to not just post a bunch of four letter words in response to this trash, so I'll just say that your completely unwarranted condescension is acknowledged and disregarded. Congrats on being the first person to make my ignore list in a decade of being here, I guess. Prick.

For anyone else wondering about food/water/med kit, that stuff seems like a given to me, so I didn't mention it. For reference, we took a cooler full of food, several gallons of water, extra layers, and a med kit everywhere we went in DV.

Most rentals Jeeps included your not supposed to take off-road that’s why Farabees in Death Valley gets a lot of business cause the Airport Rentals in Vegas are a no go. I’d stick to companies where it’s allowed and recovery and kit are already provided.

cell phone, its a rental. Besides, are you even allowed to be off-road in a rental? What about insurance? A lot of rental agreements prohibit even driving on gravel roads/

These are fair points. I'm willing to accept the risk based on experience four wheeling, and the fact that we're not doing anything extreme. Stuff a stock Subaru could do with a pinch of finesse. Remote forest/NP roads are about the extent of it, but some of them have been several-hours-to-cell-service remote. Sometimes it's not that remote, but enough distance on washboards that airing down makes it much more comfortable, but I've not had great luck with gas station air compressors for airing back up. I'm really just trying to give myself some options to prevent getting stranded, rather than trying to get a rental through Fordyce.

I realize that ...stretching the limits of a rental agreement isn't the most conservative approach and likely isn't for everyone. That's on me, and if it blows up in my face, I will own it.

As for a jump pack, I guess that might not make it on a plane. Duh. ?‍♂️

thezentree

pretend redneck
I get it. If you travel and explore via car rentals and wish to have "options" why not have a small kit. Back in my professional travel days I always had a small EDC kit before it was cool (and I could carry it on). But, In the last 10 years my wife and I have gotten into the whole one-way car rental vacation thing. Meaning, fly into one city, rent a car, drive and explore across 4-5 states, drop car and fly out of another airport/city. These trips have allowed us to see far more of the US then we could've done via our Land Cruiser, Tiger or motorcycles.

A couple of options you have:

1) Pack a small kit and ship it to the first hotel your staying at and pick it up when you check in. Call the hotel first to make sure they'll accept and hold it for you upon check in. Ship it home on your last day. Takes like 5 minutes and $9 in a flatrate pack at the local Post Office.
2) Check with TSA to see what can go as "check in" luggage and what can't. Lithium jump packs and aerosol fix a flat cans would be no goes but, tools, tape, tire repair kits would work.
3) Or, swing by the local Walmart auto center in the town your in. Buy whatever auto repair gear (and gallon jugs of water so your not buying and throwing away bottled water from gas stations, just refill) you think you'll need (make a short list) for your trip. Tie it up in the bag with the receipt and put it in the trunk with the receipt. If you need it, you got it. If you don't, spend 5 minutes and return it to Walmart before jetting off.
4) Finally, check with AAA and see about their Road Side Assistance membership and how it applies to rental cars (not rental car insurance) I'm a huge fan of AAA! This may save you a ton of time and give your wife a peace of mind.

Safe travels!

You get it. We've been doing a lot of one-way rentals for the exact same reason. I don't hate your first option, because that opens up some other possibilities.

billiebob

I'm trying really hard to not just post a bunch of four letter words in response to this trash, so I'll just say that your completely unwarranted condescension is acknowledged and disregarded
Gee Whiz I have posted on the internet and got slagged by several people. I acknowledged the fact and moved on often saying you nailed it..... thank you. But hey if you won't acknowledge you sliced a tire on a rock while driving an unmaintained rental, if yer ego is hurting so be it...... No condensation intended, just the facts as you presented them.

I drive a tow truck, you guys are my best customers.

There is no limit to how many spare parts are needed if you drive an unmaintained vehicle..... with worn street tires..... and being a rental you have no idea on the condition rest of the vehicle..... Some guys say I spend way too much on maintenance but I rarely have mechanical issues off road.

Best bet, a cell phone, AAA, CASH....and maybe one of those SOS things for a worst case.

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
I want to put together a minimalist kit that easily fits in a suitcase that might help with stuff like this. I'm not looking to change a broken stub shaft, and obviously I'm not trying to bring a Snap-On truck and a dealer parts counter with me, but it'd be nice to have a little more than a cell phone to get out of the kind of mess in which I invariably find myself in a rental jeep. So, thinking:

3. Good multitool
4. Jumpstart pack

Not a dumb idea IMO. I considered this question with our recent trip to Iceland where we rented a Jimny for 11 days... I ended up with the following, (some linked as recommendations):

Collection of mini fuses (Figuring at least the 12v accy fuse would be blown, but it actually wasn't...)
A few wire crimp splices and electric tape
Leatherman
Small 12v tire inflator (Not for airing up all four tires, just for emergency use. Be sure to test before you go to make sure it works.)
Tire gauge
2"x20' tow strap
Soft Shackle
Tire plug tools and plugs
HF jump pack

Though not part of the "automotive" kit, we also took our Dolorme InReach. In the case of a more severe breakdown where no cell service existed, we could use that to contact the rental company and get something going.

Put all in a 1 gallon ziploc bag and tossed it in the one bag that we checked. (In hindsight, I think the jump pack should have been in my carry-on since it has a lithium battery...)

I also checked the spare and made sure the jack and tools were in the Jimny before we left the rental yard.

The Jimny had mild tread chinese LT tires on it but we got around just fine on them. I did air them down from 33si to about 25psi for some of the trip to make all the gravel sections a bit more comfortable. I did not air back up (at a gas station) until we were on our way back to Rejk since they weren't that low, the temps were cool, and max speed in Iceland is about 55mph. The tire gauge and leatherman were the only tools I used from the kit.

For travel in the SW US, Maverick stations usually have free and fast air in the RV/Semi-truck pump area...
And if you want a "better" 12v compressor and aren't going for the smallest possible package like I was, I have used this one from HF for years. It's pretty fast and pretty cheap. (Coupon avail now...)
Happy travels!!

Last edited:

jmmaxus

I'm trying really hard to not just post a bunch of four letter words in response to this trash, so I'll just say that your completely unwarranted condescension is acknowledged and disregarded. Congrats on being the first person to make my ignore list in a decade of being here, I guess. Prick.

For anyone else wondering about food/water/med kit, that stuff seems like a given to me, so I didn't mention it. For reference, we took a cooler full of food, several gallons of water, extra layers, and a med kit everywhere we went in DV.

These are fair points. I'm willing to accept the risk based on experience four wheeling, and the fact that we're not doing anything extreme. Stuff a stock Subaru could do with a pinch of finesse. Remote forest/NP roads are about the extent of it, but some of them have been several-hours-to-cell-service remote. Sometimes it's not that remote, but enough distance on washboards that airing down makes it much more comfortable, but I've not had great luck with gas station air compressors for airing back up. I'm really just trying to give myself some options to prevent getting stranded, rather than trying to get a rental through Fordyce.

I realize that ...stretching the limits of a rental agreement isn't the most conservative approach and likely isn't for everyone. That's on me, and if it blows up in my face, I will own it.

As for a jump pack, I guess that might not make it on a plane. Duh.

I’d still recommend to rent from companies that allow off-road if offered which in popular places like Moab,DV, etc. there is that option but not every destination has that option so I get it. As far as a jump starter on a commercial plane, I believe you can in your check baggage carry a lithium battery under 100 wh. My buddy checked a Mavic Drone which has a sizeable lithium battery in it. I’d suggest NOCO Boost products and probably the smaller ones like the GB20 or GB40 (I have both).

plh

Explorer

As for a jump pack, I guess that might not make it on a plane. Duh. ?‍♂️

It would be the liability / personal injury portion of the insurance I'd worry about most. Paying for a damaged vehicle is one thing, paying for a damaged person is in a completely other ballpark. I'm sure the litigators would have fun.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
A lot of reasonable points regarding rental car use, particularly in todays limited and expensive rental car available world.

I would agree to fully understand and comply with the rental contract since that is exactly what they'll hold you too in the event of problem. Also recognize there is a ton of vague or no language in the contract that they will try to charge you for, for example:

Rental car flat tire. A lot of people think that if you get one and call the rental company they'll magically send a crew out to change it or swap you into a new clean car...at no cost and with a smile....nope. Depending on where you are you'll have to change it yourself. No problem. But, be prepared that they will not fix the tire. They will toss it (due to liabilty) and try to charge you for the damaged tire and the new replacement at full MSRP, plus labor ($600).

So, a couple of ways to handle it:
1) Get it fixed professionally locally, keep the receipt and go on about your way and turn the car in as usual. Photograph and document everything, particularly the condition of the tire. Keep this in a file until your bill clears.

2) Change the tire to the spare. Find the local rental car office and show up wanting the tire fixed. Nope, they don't fix flats or replace or swap tires at the rental car office. Request a new car for safety reasons since you cant't drive on the spare. Make sure to Document and photograph the tread/condition of the tire. Be prepared for them to want you to fillout an "accident report" that will be sent to Corporate to "investigate", which really means you'll get billed $600 for the replacement. Be prepared to fight the charge. Also be prepared that they may charge you for all 4 tires to be replaced due to "special performance tires have to be matched" (EG: Mustang GT) or $2400.

You can make your own decisions....Due to the amount of rental cars we use I've lived through both versions. This applies to chipped windshields as well.......Walmart sells chip repair kits for $8 that work great in the parking lot....May save you $200-$300 for a chipped windshield they miss upon turn in but find when turning it around for re-rental and then you get billed.

Knock on wood, never had an accident, theft, break in, towed, impounded, etc......resulting in body damage so haven't dealt with that yet.

PS: Keep in mind the higher end (Mustangs, Camaros, Dodges, Corvettes, Porsche, Mercedes, etc) and abuse/hard use prone vehicles (Jeeps, trucks, 4wd, etc.) will most likely have some type of after market gps/data recording device installed that they can easily down load to confirm details of an incident.
Heck a Corvette we had had a gps tracking fence system that only allowed it to travel 50 miles from the Airport. I spent 20 minutes explaining how we missed our exit one day and took the scenic route back to the city. They warned me, but didn't charge me mileage. FYI.

Be safe.

C91EB5F4-CD5E-4EEC-9DAE-7EDC9C1900DF.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles