TRD or clean slate

xjaugie

Adventurer
:coffeedrink: Since I'm moving really close to work, like 2 miles, I no longer need the commuter passat. Problem is I'm upside down in the payments and I got to thinking if I traded it in on a new tacoma and sold the 95 tacoma, I could go down to one vehicle and build a new truck.

Really kind of dreaming here in the office, as I don't know if I could give up on the gen 1 tacoma, but if you were to purchase a new tacoma x-cab, would you go for the TRD or not and upgrade the suspension and install lockers once you got it home?

barlowrs

Explorer
I went TRD sport....the only thing that is still TRD sport on my truck now is the stupid hood scoop..EVERYTHING else (even the color matched trim) has been changed.

I would go clean slate.

Clutch

<---Pass
Base model, and can get the electric locker rear-end from a salvage yard for not too much coin...or a part out from a Toyota forum such as TTORA.

TRD suspension isn't up to par with what you can do aftermarket.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I haven't built a TRD online in awhile so I don't know how much of up-charge it is, but FOR ME, having an OEM locker is worth quite a bit. Having said that, when my father decided he wanted an FJ Cruiser as his second vehicle, he picked the Trail Team Edition (TTE). As others have said above, at the end of the build all that remained TTE were the wheels and rear locker. The skid plates and suspension were quickly replaced with superior products. A choice we'd probably repeat.

zolo

Explorer
You get more than just a rear locker with TRD Offroad package.
It comes with
Hill Decent. It works...
Rear Locker. Its nice to have...
A-Trac It works wonders...

Aside from the suspension upgrade, which we all no is worthless. Those 3 traction aids are really nice and work really well. I got to see first hand the hill decent this past weekend and the A-Trac has made heads spin on the FJ Cruiser for a while now.
On the Tacoma its just as effective.
Its good for 99% of the time when a locker is just over kill...

Its worth it for all 3 of those traction aids. IMHO...

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Since Hill start, down hill assist and ATRAC are all just functions of the existing VDC, I wonder if they could be "turned on" in the controller.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
If you're upside down in payments already a new truck isn't the answer....I would sell the VW and get out of whatever debt you're in while keeping the taco. Once out of car debt then consider selling the 95 and getting a new truck.

p nut

butter
You get more than just a rear locker with TRD Offroad package.
It comes with
Hill Decent. It works...
Rear Locker. Its nice to have...
A-Trac It works wonders...

100% agree. Locker and ATRAC is worth the price of upgrade. If it were like Gen 1's where you're just looking at the rear locker upgrade, then maybe not worth it. Get the TRD Off-Road (not Sport).

keezer37

Explorer
If you're upside down in payments already a new truck isn't the answer....I would sell the VW and get out of whatever debt you're in while keeping the taco. Once out of car debt then consider selling the 95 and getting a new truck.

x2

You're already in a hole. Buying new isn't going to solve it.
If you have to get all creative to buy something new, you probably can't afford it.

montypower

Adventure Time!
I chose TRD. Primary reason: Warranty. Also, I didn't want to tear apart the diffs to add locker(s). Plus, lots of other neat options: backup cam, upgraded seats, Atrac, elocker, decals - no seriously... resale is better.
Otherwise, my next choice would have been DC base V6 w/ 6 speed. Add f/r ARB lockers, 2nd tcase and be good to roll.

dubbaDYota

Observer
TRD Off road. RR diff lock + ATRAC is a great combo. not only are the great traction aids, but they also include an upgraded brake hydro booster to control the ATRAC.

i know ppl do it, but i cant imagine off roading/wheeling w/o AT LEAST having ATRAC. if i am understanding this correctly, base model 4x4 FJs and Tacomas, and TRD Sport Tacomas have open diffs and no traction aid in 4LO? I know we all have TRAC in 4HI.

ETA found a "yellow wire mod" on TacomaWorld that will give non ATRAC/RR diff lock trucks TRAC in 4LO. after reading up on the mod, TRAC in 4LO is similar to an ATRAC equipped vehicle.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/51946-4low-trac-10.html

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I went TRD sport....the only thing that is still TRD sport on my truck now is the stupid hood scoop..EVERYTHING else (even the color matched trim) has been changed.

I would go clean slate.

Seats.

The TRD seats are nice. The SR5... Not so much. The Off Road with factory locker and the upgraded seats gets my vote.

barlowrs

Explorer
Seats.

The TRD seats are nice. The SR5... Not so much. The Off Road with factory locker and the upgraded seats gets my vote.

That is true, the seats are better i forgot that. Actually MUCH better. I hated the seats in my base 05 that I used to have....Id stil get base, upgrade the seats later and throw in an ARB if i were to do it over again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online