Trooper "Torque on Demand"?

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I checked out an ad for a 2002 Isuzu Trooper with auto trans.

--There was a photo of the dash with a driveline indicator light panel just left of the tach labeled "torque on demand" and "auto" in the center where the transfer case would be lit up. What is "torque on demand"

--Another option is: S7C -FINAL GEAR RATIO 43/10. 43/10.....what the heck is that??

Thanks

Jim

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
TOD is the 4x4 system.

Here's what I understand/know:

-Autohubs on the front wheels. they're just drive flanges, you can swap them out for Manual hubs if you want to save some wear on front drivetrain
-2wd for normal driving, only the rear wheels get power
-Press button on dash, and that locks in 4hi TOD system which uses 12 or so sensors to apply torque/power to the front wheels. Can be activated up to a certain speed
-Has a low range lock lever that adds quite a bit of gear reduction and locks the center diff 100%.

It's more complicated than a regular tcase, but it's a borg-warner unit and thought of as a pretty stout setup. I believe the TOD system can be run up to a certain speed on the freeway for foul-weather uses, but I forget what that speed is.

ExploringNH

Explorer
TOD is the 4x4 system.

Here's what I understand/know:

-Autohubs on the front wheels. they're just drive flanges, you can swap them out for Manual hubs if you want to save some wear on front drivetrain
-2wd for normal driving, only the rear wheels get power
-Press button on dash, and that locks in 4hi TOD system which uses 12 or so sensors to apply torque/power to the front wheels. Can be activated up to a certain speed
-Has a low range lock lever that adds quite a bit of gear reduction and locks the center diff 100%.

It's more complicated than a regular tcase, but it's a borg-warner unit and thought of as a pretty stout setup. I believe the TOD system can be run up to a certain speed on the freeway for foul-weather uses, but I forget what that speed is.

All true.

The truck has a normal 2wd mode that you use for everyday driving.

Push the Auto 4WD button on the dash and you go into Torque-On-Demand mode. The truck will now automatically adjust where to send power, making it AWD. This is the mode you use for normal driving on slippery roads. It can be run on dry pavement with no ill effects. I've run mine on the highway before at probably 50mph. As the back wheels slip more and more power is given the the front wheels via an electronic clutch system in the transfer case. All of this happens pretty quickly and you can watch the fancy lights on the dash light up to show you where power is going. As you gain traction power is returned to the rear wheels. Wheel speeds are all constantly monitored and everything happens automatically.

Put the transfer case lever in 4-LO and the whole thing locks up for true 4WD 50/50 torque split front and rear. At the same time you will receive more gear reduction via the transfer case, just like normal 4-LO in any vehicle.

It is a reliable setup. It would be nice if you could manually activate a 4HI mode with 50/50 lockup of the transfer case but for normal street driving it works very well.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
BIGdaddy & ExploringNH

--Thanks to both for the info. TOD sounds good but complicated to someone used to driving primitive stuff.

--About the S7C -FINAL GEAR RATIO 43/10.......does that translate into a 4.3:1 differential ratio?

Jim

ExploringNH

Explorer
BIGdaddy & ExploringNH

--Thanks to both for the info. TOD sounds good but complicated to someone used to driving primitive stuff.

--About the S7C -FINAL GEAR RATIO 43/10.......does that translate into a 4.3:1 differential ratio?

Jim

Yes. 4.30 rear end gears. 43 teeth on the ring gear and 10 on the pinion.

If it has a G80 code it is a limited slip rear end as well.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
BIGdaddy & ExploringNH

Jim

For sure, more complicated, but having been on the road for 13 years some things have become apparent about this vehicle overall.

3.5l motor - uses oil. If kept topped off, 250-300k is doable
4l30E Auto tranny - Weak, but if babied and pampered, it seems to do ok.
Front and rear axles - stout - good up to 33's with spirited driving, 35's if caution is used.
tcase - not much fails. You don't read/hear much about these rigs other than sticky soloniod from lack of use.
Electronics - not much fails. All my electronics are 100% at 160k miles.
Starter/fuel pump - these can just go out at pretty much any time over 100-150k
EGR valve- gums up from oil consumption, needs to be cleaned out/off, throws a soft engine code than can be cleared easily.

Just some food for thought. :)

I'm also a big fan of the NP231 gear driven part time case my Jeep XJ had. very stout for the size, and had a nice gearset available aftermarket, so I think it just depends on what you're looking for.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Yes. 4.30 rear end gears. 43 teeth on the ring gear and 10 on the pinion.

If it has a G80 code it is a limited slip rear end as well.

Should have known that re: the gear ratio.

Based on what I've seen the G80 limited slip is common.

Another question: Do the manual trans versions have the TOD feature as well?

Jim

Skylo

I have a 2202 3.5l auto and change the oil every 5 000km.Got to do fluid on tranny but a bit nervous to do it my self.Why the bad rap for these tranny's?

hobbner

Transmissions are a bit weak on this vehicle. I just replaced mine at 100k. Its the same transmission that was put in vehicles like the Cadilac Catera, BMW 3 series and other sedans. If the trooper has a acheilees heel the automatic transmission is it. Its simply not big or strong enough to last forever when put against the challenges of off roading especially when you load it down with oversized tires and other expedition equipment.

However This only furthers the case for keeping the fluid as fresh as possible. The 4L30E transmission does not have a dipstick or fill point, rather you open the bottom bolt drain, replace filter in the pan assembley than replace the bottom bolt and fill through the top bolt until fluid just barely pours out on a level surface. A good fluid pump and some tubing makes this job much easier. Its really nothing to be afraid of but it is a royal pain compared to other transmissions.

I have a 2202 3.5l auto and change the oil every 5 000km.Got to do fluid on tranny but a bit nervous to do it my self.Why the bad rap for these tranny's?

newworld2004

Adventurer
I owned a BMW E36 328i for 7 years with the GM 4L30-E and even in the lighter BMW it was a horrible transmission. Apparently the ones sourced for BMW are made in France (not sure about Isuzu) and are manufactured under licence from GM. You must adhere to a religious maintenance routine from new to be able to get any life out of it and if you buy a used vehicle with 100k on the clock and no documentation, its a gamble at best. Just as the aisin manual is far better in the trooper, the getrag/ZF manual was FAR better in the BMW.

I have 1993 Trooper two door with 213K on original engine. last year I finally rebuilt trans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier