Truck buying advice wanted - first post.

BradK

I am looking to purchase a Fuso Canter or Isuzu NPS. Crew Cab 4x4. I’ve been to the local dealer and once I factor in the price for Super Singles, suspension upgrades, extra water and fuel tanks, bull bar, winch and a canopy I don’t have the budget to buy new.

Is there much difference between the Canter and the Isuzu or does it come down to what I can find in the best condition?

I want to avoid the “high range only” Canter’s. Are there other year models for either brand to avoid?

What sort of common faults should I be looking out for other than normal stuff like fluid leaks, rust, underbody damage etc?

I understand ex mining is also something to avoid. Is there any way of knowing the trucks history - things to look for in the service history etc?

Cheers

Brad

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
In my opinion, the Fuso is a bit more agricultural than the Isuzu and the spare parts are more expensive too.
If you are looking for a used truck then you will probably notice that the Euro 4 Fuso has less emissions crap than the same year Euro 4 Isuzu (around 2010 models), if that's something that you care about.
At the end of the day, any vehicle purchase is a personal choice, so what works for me may be seen as totally wrong for you. Both are reliable vehicles, so you probably won't go wrong whichever way you go.
An ECU remap will also do wonders to the driveability of both trucks.

Hino now have a 4x4, so if you have not looked at those, it might be worth doing so. I have not driven one myself, but I know they come with front disks, which the Fuso or Isuzu don't have. Search for problems stopping when going backwards, if you want to know why that is something to be aware of.

DCGibbs

Observer
Hino now have a 4x4, so if you have not looked at those, it might be worth doing so. I have not driven one myself, but I know they come with front disks, which the Fuso or Isuzu don't have. Search for problems stopping when going backwards, if you want to know why that is something to be aware of.

The local Hino dealer said that they can't purchase the 4X4's yet, anyone know if that's true, or a brush off. Since Hino is a division of Toyota, I'd also like to know which engine is in that Cab Over.

Fuso's are great if you can find them with Hi/Lo.
DCG

BradK

I like the look of the Hino mainly because of the disc brakes. I had ruled it out because its another 500mm longer than the Isuzu or the Canter which I thought was already as long as you could get in a parking space.

Is this "no brakes in reverse" also a problem with the Isuzu? I imagine the brake design is similar. Is there a fix for it?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Is this "no brakes in reverse" also a problem with the Isuzu? I imagine the brake design is similar. Is there a fix for it?

As far as I know, it affects both the Isuzu and Fuso. The problem is created by having two leading shoes, which theoretically helps it brake better when going forwards, but that configuration is pretty crappy if the truck goes backwards.
The fix is not to stall the truck when going up a difficult 4x4 track. If you do, go for the handbrake as soon as possible.

BradK

Don't know what your price range is but this almost fits the criteria you set out. But it is new. And no affiliation whatsoever. http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au/vehicles/for-sale
Hi Deiter

It is slightly over my budget. What's closer to what I want is the "ATW Weekend Warrior". I've contacted ATW to get some additional pricing as I'm not sure how much a lift side canopy will cost or if it still needs a tray under it.

I've been to both the local Isuzu and Fuso dealer and the new Canter is more than $10k cheaper than the Isuzu. Either way once I include the cost of the things I want to add I don't think I can afford new.

Cheers

Brad

BradK

Bought this at auction last week. It’s an ex Rail Corp service truck. A 2010 model with 170,000 k’s. Very clean underneath and only a few small dings in the cab. Looking forward to picking it up and getting stuck into it ! Judging from the Tare on the door it might need to go on a diet. Buying a second hand truck is certainly a test of patience, although in the end this one was cleaner underneath than a few newer trucks I’ve bid on in other auctions.

6CE07424-5C17-4CA4-9BF8-5CA4D1A6CA93.jpeg

danf

Hi Brad, wondering if you could share your approx purchase price, if you've had any issues since the purchase with it and what the process was? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste

Members online