truck camper jacks...which type and how many?

dizzyspots

Adventurer
Any preference...need to but camper jacks...(none attached now)

Cable winch style

Crank manual

Hydraulic

and final queston: 3 or 4?

Pop up truck camper weight approx 1300#'s

LuckyDan

Adventurer
These are about the most popular, the disclaimer I have no interest in the company so on/so forth:

http://www.riecotitan.com/

Though lots of people go with the tripod style, I suggest the four corner approach. In the grand scheme of campers, yours at 1300lbs. is fairly light and the manuals will work though the hydraulic jacks are pretty nice and less effort to jack but need a little periodic maintenance in the form of checking the fluid. Also if you don't "work" them periodically they tend to get a little leaky IME. I'd go with corner jacks as opposed to the cable side jacks unless you plan on rarely or never removing your camper then I would still get corner jacks.

Best of luck with your decision.

Last edited:

bob91yj

Resident **************
All four corners, regardless of design IMO. I have the hand crank style, converted a crank handle to fit a cordless drill. I rarely use mine (twice). I don't leave mine on, camper stays on the truck 95% of the time.

Prybry

Adventurer
4 jacks for sure...

I have a camper which weighs less than 1000 lbs... used four corner jacks... use the cordless driver trick which works slick.
I also drilled out the bases on my jacks to accept heavy duty casters used for scoffolding... this lets you roll the camper on the truck rather than try to back the truck under the camper. I can load or unload my camper in less than 15 minutes by myself.
The scaffold casters give the added bonus of 8 to 10" more height... important on my jacked up Dodge.

brian90744

American Trekker
Great idea. post pic so I can copy.
thanks

I have a camper which weighs less than 1000 lbs... used four corner jacks... use the cordless driver trick which works slick.
I also drilled out the bases on my jacks to accept heavy duty casters used for scoffolding... this lets you roll the camper on the truck rather than try to back the truck under the camper. I can load or unload my camper in less than 15 minutes by myself.
The scaffold casters give the added bonus of 8 to 10" more height... important on my jacked up Dodge.

Prybry

Adventurer
Jack with wheel attached...

Here are some pictures of the wheel on the jack....

Note that I not only drilled the bottom of the jack post to accept the stub of the wheel assembly, I also cross drilled a hole and use a quick release pin to hold them on the jack.

Sorry for the fuzzy pictures... still clear enough to get the idea..

One note of warning... My camper is pretty light (<1000 lbs) so I don't have issues moving the camper with the jacks fully extended, but for safety, I drop the camper down to its lowest point for storage and moving it around the shop...

Use at your own risk, I don't want anyone coming back on me beacuse they dropped/tipped their camper or had it roll out into the street!

Last edited:

dependencies

Observer
Neat idea that, In my case I have a slight incline on my drive and dare not risk it actually
although I frequently see people making up wheeled dollies (together with legs installed for extra stability) whereas your idea seem a better and tidier job all round

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
All four corners, regardless of design IMO. I have the hand crank style, converted a crank handle to fit a cordless drill. I rarely use mine (twice). I don't leave mine on, camper stays on the truck 95% of the time.
X2 here. My Happijac crankers have led a blessed life in the garage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz