Truck For Kenai Scout?

GetOutThere!

What truck should I get for a Scout Kenai truck camper?

I want a full ton and 8 foot bed so I can close the tail. 4x4 a must. Room for four.

Probably a Ford- but convince me otherwise. I have a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel now- but probably going to go gasser. (PS- my 1500 has a payload of 891 lbs. Yeah, it's a Prius. I don't want to end up in that situation again. When I had it built I didn't care about payload- but 891lbs?) Not sure if 6.2 or 7.3. Maybe talk me into a 6.7 diesel- but I will rarely be towing and am leaning away from diesel again.

I want to make sure I am always under GVWR.

I went to build an F350 and their are so many options it made my head spin. I thought the F350 Tremor could be cool- but no idea if that even comes in an 8 foot bed. Does it? Good idea? Bad.

Tell me what the hell truck to buy, please, and what options to get. I'm a "buy once, cry once" kind of guy. Thanks.

F350. Single rear will will have enough payload especially with a gas motor. Go for the 7.3.... really no reason not to. With all the emission stuff and our driving I couldn't justify the diesel and would probably ruin it. The truck (with camper installed) is my main vehicle. I usually drive it 2-8 miles 3-4 times a week aside from our adventures. With the short trips I didnt want to deal with the diesel.

A/T tires on 18 inch wheels combined with 4.30 gears will give the best payload for SRW. I would avoid the tremor as it lowers the payload legal rating. The truck is huge to begin with. You can add a lift or larger tires later.

I have a 2022 F350 xl crew cab, 8ft bed, 7.3 motor, 3.73 gears, upfitter switches, dual alternator and batteries, sync 3, rear sliding window. It has met all my expectations.

It is fairly bare bones model except for items I specifically wanted to make it a better truck camper setup. We have 10k miles on it now (8500 with the camper) and have no complaints. The flat floor in the rear seat area adds quite a bit of storage space and makes it easier for kids to navigate.

GetOutThere!

F350. Single rear will will have enough payload especially with a gas motor. Go for the 7.3.... really no reason not to. With all the emission stuff and our driving I couldn't justify the diesel and would probably ruin it. The truck (with camper installed) is my main vehicle. I usually drive it 2-8 miles 3-4 times a week aside from our adventures. With the short trips I didnt want to deal with the diesel.

A/T tires on 18 inch wheels combined with 4.30 gears will give the best payload for SRW. I would avoid the tremor as it lowers the payload legal rating. The truck is huge to begin with. You can add a lift or larger tires later.

I have a 2022 F350 xl crew cab, 8ft bed, 7.3 motor, 3.73 gears, upfitter switches, dual alternator and batteries, sync 3, rear sliding window. It has met all my expectations.

It is fairly bare bones model except for items I specifically wanted to make it a better truck camper setup. We have 10k miles on it now (8500 with the camper) and have no complaints. The flat floor in the rear seat area adds quite a bit of storage space and makes it easier for kids to navigate.

Great info. Thanks.

Why the dual alternator and batteries?

Why did you go 3.73 over 4.3?

TexasSixSeven

Observer

The Tremor does not lower the GVWR rating by any means. You can get a single wheel short bed FX4 with a max GVWR of 11,500, and you can get the same in a Tremor F350. However stepping up to a long bed and you can get a 12,400 GVWR, but a Tremor is not available in a long bed. Either way a Tremor is capable of the exact same GVWR as it’s 4x4 or FX4 short bed counterpart.

OP go 7.3 F-350 with an 8’ bed and 4.30 gears. The long bed comes standard with a 48 fuel tank vs the 34 that comes in the short bed. That’s reason enough right there.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I’ve had quite a few diesels, and swore I’d never buy a gas HD truck again. I’ve had plenty of them for work and play. My last truck was a 17’ F-350 6.7 diesel seen in my sig picture. It was tuned and deleted and made some good power (much more than stock), and was a pleasure to drive on 35s and 37s. I traded it a few months ago for a 22’ F-250 with the 7.3 and 4.30 gears. I don’t haul as heavy anymore, and didn’t need the diesel anymore but still needed to be able to pull 5-6k regularly and 10k on occasion. I figured I’d give the 7.3 250 a try, as that was about perfect for it so it seemed. I was scared I was going to regret it being that I was coming from such a powerful truck. I don’t regret it at all. The 7.3 is a pleasure to drive, and although I’ve only hooked up to a hair more than 5K so far all my reservations are gone. It handles it very well, and fuel mileage isn’t horrible ( for a HD gasser). Im consistently seeing 12.5-13 running 82ish, or can see 13-14 keeping it around 78. If I drop down to 70 (as slow as I can stand it), then I’ve seen as high as 16.5, but can consistently keep it over 15. That’s exceptional for a truck this size with a large gas engine.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Oh and my payload on a fairly well optioned 250 7.3 Crew short bed Lariat is 2800 lbs with a 10K GVWR. An identical short bed F350 would be exactly 1500 lbs higher. I’ve got the Dana M-275 rear axle and spring pack that the single wheel 350s use. Only difference on mine is door sticker. Some 250s have a sterling 10.5 rear axle and lighter spring pack so they’ll have a few extra lbs of payload.

The Tremor does not lower the GVWR rating by any means. You can get a single wheel short bed FX4 with a max GVWR of 11,500, and you can get the same in a Tremor F350. However stepping up to a long bed and you can get a 12,400 GVWR, but a Tremor is not available in a long bed. Either way a Tremor is capable of the exact same GVWR as it’s 4x4 or FX4 short bed counterpart.

OP go 7.3 F-350 with an 8’ bed and 4.30 gears. The long bed comes standard with a 48 fuel tank vs the 34 that comes in the short bed. That’s reason enough right there.

It has been a while since I bought my truck but there are a few points that I think we are both correct in.

The tremor package in and of itself may not lower the GVWR, you are correct.

However, a F350 SRW 7.3L gas CCLB with correct options can reach 11900. You cannot get a gas tremor with that GVWR. You may be able to get a higher GVWR with the diesel but that is because of the weight penalty for the diesel engine. If you choose the diesel for the same spec truck above, it will be higher than than the tremor truck because of the limited options available in the tremor configuration.

Because you cannot get the tremor on the CC long bed or any lower trim it limits the max GVWR and also the payload capacity of the truck. I believe they got rid of the Tremor XLT and only offer on King Ranch or above. You also cannot add the camper package to a Tremor truck.

So moving from a XL to a more loaded model will limit your payload because all the truck options cut into the payload.

I 100% agree on the 48 gal tank..... until I have to fill it from empty. Ouch. But it is great to have the extra range and drive by gas stations in resort towns. The 8 ft bed also opens other options if you decide to go to a little bigger camper due to a growing family. We haul a family of 5, plus dog, and manage to spend a week+ camping and skiing with our truck an hallmark camper. The extra 1-2 feet of camper length combined with the 8ft bed makes it tolerable.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
It has been a while since I bought my truck but there are a few points that I think we are both correct in.

The tremor package in and of itself may not lower the GVWR, you are correct.

However, a F350 SRW 7.3L gas CCLB with correct options can reach 11900. You cannot get a gas tremor with that GVWR. You may be able to get a higher GVWR with the diesel but that is because of the weight penalty for the diesel engine. If you choose the diesel for the same spec truck above, it will be higher than than the tremor truck because of the limited options available in the tremor configuration.

Because you cannot get the tremor on the CC long bed or any lower trim it limits the max GVWR and also the payload capacity of the truck. I believe they got rid of the Tremor XLT and only offer on King Ranch or above. You also cannot add the camper package to a Tremor truck.

So moving from a XL to a more loaded model will limit your payload because all the truck options cut into the payload.

I 100% agree on the 48 gal tank..... until I have to fill it from empty. Ouch. But it is great to have the extra range and drive by gas stations in resort towns. The 8 ft bed also opens other options if you decide to go to a little bigger camper due to a growing family. We haul a family of 5, plus dog, and manage to spend a week+ camping and skiing with our truck an hallmark camper. The extra 1-2 feet of camper length combined with the 8ft bed makes it tolerable.

Yes sir. It doesn’t directly effect the payload capacity, but the limited options it’s available with (CCSB) does as well as being higher trimmed adding weight to an already heavy truck. It was available in 2022 in Lariat and higher trims though. I traded my 17’ 350 CCLB Lariat for a 22’ 250 CCSB Tremor Lariat.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Yes sir. It doesn’t directly effect the payload capacity, but the limited options it’s available with (CCSB) does as well as being higher trimmed adding weight to an already heavy truck. It was available in 2022 in Lariat and higher trims though. I traded my 17’ 350 CCLB Lariat for a 22’ 250 CCSB Tremor Lariat.

I’ve got a few Carli goodies in the garage, and have some adjustable Foxes in order from Accutune as well. Slowly collecting parts to start piecing together a very mild rig.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I’ve had quite a few diesels, and swore I’d never buy a gas HD truck again. I’ve had plenty of them for work and play. My last truck was a 17’ F-350 6.7 diesel seen in my sig picture. It was tuned and deleted and made some good power (much more than stock), and was a pleasure to drive on 35s and 37s. I traded it a few months ago for a 22’ F-250 with the 7.3 and 4.30 gears. I don’t haul as heavy anymore, and didn’t need the diesel anymore but still needed to be able to pull 5-6k regularly and 10k on occasion. I figured I’d give the 7.3 250 a try, as that was about perfect for it so it seemed. I was scared I was going to regret it being that I was coming from such a powerful truck. I don’t regret it at all. The 7.3 is a pleasure to drive, and although I’ve only hooked up to a hair more than 5K so far all my reservations are gone. It handles it very well, and fuel mileage isn’t horrible ( for a HD gasser). Im consistently seeing 12.5-13 running 82ish, or can see 13-14 keeping it around 78. If I drop down to 70 (as slow as I can stand it), then I’ve seen as high as 16.5, but can consistently keep it over 15. That’s exceptional for a truck this size with a large gas engine.
That trans must be exceptional. Is that fuel economy with stock tires?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94