Truck question, tow mode?

lanefj40

I'm just wondering about pros or cons of using the transmission tow mode when the pop-up is on the truck. With the added weight is this a reasonable thing to do?

andy29847

Adventurer
The best way to answer this question is by tracking your transmission fluid temperature. You may not have one of those gauges. I tow a big trailer with a one ton dually diesel pickup. Tow haul doesn't do much in steady highway driving. However, in stop and go stuff, or when the roads get curvy and the trans is changing gears a lot, using the tow/haul mode helps keep the transmission fluid cool. Additional benefits for me are increased engine braking on hills and stops.

Flhtruss

Observer
Hello lanefj40
If you have your owners manual read it, it will help for your spefic vehicle. Loading your vehicle with weight, and driving w/o tow haul mode engaged, you will find the motor will shift sooner and rpm's will be lower than with tow haul engaged. Basically you are letting the vehicle know it's got work to do, and is not a soccer mom car right now. As mentioned above speed control using the motor on descents is also engaged with tow haul mode. Hope this helps.
Russ

Roger M.

Adventurer
Unless I was pulling a 7000 pound trailer (which I'm not), or was at load capacity for my truck (which most pop-ups aren't) I find that using "Manual" is far more effective than using "Tow/Haul".

I find "Tow/Haul" allows RPM to run higher than I like, whereas with "Manual" I can control speed, and RPM much more precisely with a combination of (manual) shifter and/or brakes.

XJINTX

Explorer
When not towing and just have FWC Hawk loaded here in TX I don't use Tow Mode for reasons already explained. I do use when towing my Jeep behind. With or without towing I always use Tow Mode on steep climbs or descents it may be me but it helps with braking as already mentioned too. Oh I have 3/4 ton Diesel.

lanefj40

Thanks for the answers! We bought the truck to tow a 30 ft trailer, which it did fine. Just wondering if the extra load in the truck was relatively the same as the tow load. I do have the trans temp gauge which I keep an eye on. The truck did come with a higher ratio gears in the axles (3.44 rather than the 3.04 which was stock) I'll play with the manual mode and tow and try to figure out which works better for me.

I use Tow/Haul anytime I'm pulling the travel trailer or have the truck camper mounted. I also use it for unloaded descending in the mountains. Staying off the brakes is nice. For a light popup, I would only use it descending.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz