Trying to find 10' Telescoping Poles for 10x10 Awning

I'm making a 10'x10' awning for my van and would like to have a pair of 10' telescoping side poles to extend away from the van. The trouble is nobody seems to make telescoping poles longer than 9'. I'm scouring Amazon and have already been through McMaster-Carr. I can extend some shorter poles but having it all in one telescoping section would be a little more tidy and to my liking. Any ideas?

rayra

Expedition Leader
somewhere here I made a topic a couple years ago about making some adjustable pole sets using EMT pipe. They came out fine and cost very little to make.

eta here it is, Feb 2016

How has the EMT conduit held up over the last 4 years? I looked it up on McMaster-Carr and found stainless EMT but it's not cheap. Plain steel on the other hand is cheap.

s.e.charles

not sure how you intend to anchor the earth-end of it, but maybe for soft stuff you could cut some pvc on an angle and drive it in with a rubber mallet like fishermen do. still using rope guys of course.

tanuki.himself

I'm making a 10'x10' awning for my van and would like to have a pair of 10' telescoping side poles to extend away from the van. The trouble is nobody seems to make telescoping poles longer than 9'. I'm scouring Amazon and have already been through McMaster-Carr. I can extend some shorter poles but having it all in one telescoping section would be a little more tidy and to my liking. Any ideas?
do they need to be telescoping or would modular work? how about fishing rods?

not sure how you intend to anchor the earth-end of it, but maybe for soft stuff you could cut some pvc on an angle and drive it in with a rubber mallet like fishermen do. still using rope guys of course.

I was thinking I'd have a second tarp pinned to the ground instead of guy wires. I can usually use the extra shade anyway and I'd pin it to the outer rod of the awning.

rayra

Expedition Leader
How has the EMT conduit held up over the last 4 years? I looked it up on McMaster-Carr and found stainless EMT but it's not cheap. Plain steel on the other hand is cheap.
I've only used them about 6x, but I'm in the desert southwest so it scarcely shows. And EMT is galvanized, anyway. All you have to worry about is where you cut or drill it.

I've only used them about 6x, but I'm in the desert southwest so it scarcely shows. And EMT is galvanized, anyway. All you have to worry about is where you cut or drill it.

Same here. Death Valley is my chosen backyard. We get rain in Orange County but I can work around occasional moisture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles