Tube crawler style buggy and Rtt thoughts.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have quite a few ideas going on in my head right now. I also came to the conclusion that my scout is going to have to get me on the trail before I start on this.

I definitely think a full frame built to suit the purpose is needed. I think a fj other yj is the way to go. I like the ls motor to th 400 magnum box and a 205 for tried and true strong. Full width is going to be a pain but worth it in the long run. Definitely need large back spacing on the wheels likely 17" or better to clear breaks and steering. I think a custom soft top is likely the best way to go. I think k a cj8 top would be to long but I would have to get mesurments. I also need alot more knowledge of coial.overs and proper link set up.

A YJ/CJ is going to be more affordable for parts. The FJ has some neat stuff like that aqualu body, but every time you say custom I think you have to add about $1000-3000 :) I have seen some people use TJ tops on YJs with some success. You have to change the angle of the windshield and account for that with doors. If a TJ tops can work you could do a LJ length top pretty easy....which is 15" longer than a stock TJ/YJ/CJ7 tub. Personally that would be a really good size tub for about a 110" wheelbase. A CJ8 tub is about 24" longer than stock if I remember right.

Full width. If your going to be running larger 37"+ tires your going to need 65"+ axles to keep the tire out of the frame with reasonable steering angles anyways. 89-92ish dodge truck D60 fronts are the narrowest front Dana 60 at 67.5" wide. I 17x9" wheels with 5" backspacing on mime and it keeps the width pretty conservative. The TH400 pan is always a pain with passenger drop axles, but the np205 has one of the longer front output offsets.

Go with 17" wheels. No reason not to anymore. Tire selection is MUCH better.

Link suspension can be a beast. Start trying to learn now, not when your building. I honestly don't think you HAVE to have link suspension. Good quality leaf springs/shocks could be a very good way to go. Good link suspensions are NOT cheap...joints, link material, shocks, etc.

98dango

Expedition Leader
A custom top is cheaper than most think. If I have the support rails and snaps in place it's fast and easy. I have lots of boat shops so price is kept low.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
A custom top is cheaper than most think. If I have the support rails and snaps in place it's fast and easy. I have lots of boat shops so price is kept low.

It's an option for sure.

The other thing I would really like to see is a modular hard top there the sides and door tops could be removed and stored out of the way in the vehicle. Having a hard top for security could be a nice feature. If it was modular it would be easier to replace a damaged panel. It would be really nice if they could be mostly flat...or with only simple bends. Making a top look good with only simple bends could be challenging.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I will likely use early dodge 60s sadly because I have them and have access to them I have 2 sets and access to 4 more. The th 400 is hard to keep low but we know it can be done. Nothing on this will be easy.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I will likely use early dodge 60s sadly because I have them and have access to them I have 2 sets and access to 4 more. The th 400 is hard to keep low but we know it can be done. Nothing on this will be easy.

What year early dodge?

It doesn't have to be super difficult, just as long as you keep the entire project in mind and don't build yourself into a corner.....that always sucks. Looking back on my little flat fender build I definitely used more parts that I had laying around than I should have. It's hard to look at a part and NOT try and use it for me!

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have 76- 90 in matching pairs. I don't want to use parts just because I have them. But when I already have the narrow 60 I can't see not using it. However if it's not going to be the best I can swap it easy. Drive train wise I want stock and easy parts. If I can keep the one off custom parts to a small amount. I really I want to build as much using off the shelf parts as I can.

I have given serious thought to using leafs. I just feel like I would be cheating the build. It may not be just how I feel. I am also thinking about steering low leafs tend to be in the way unless I use spring under. Staying as low as I want may be hard.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have 76- 90 in matching pairs. I don't want to use parts just because I have them. But when I already have the narrow 60 I can't see not using it. However if it's not going to be the best I can swap it easy. Drive train wise I want stock and easy parts. If I can keep the one off custom parts to a small amount. I really I want to build as much using off the shelf parts as I can.

I have given serious thought to using leafs. I just feel like I would be cheating the build. It may not be just how I feel. I am also thinking about steering low leafs tend to be in the way unless I use spring under. Staying as low as I want may be hard.

The dodge 60 isn't a bad choice. I wish I had THAT kind of parts laying around. Off the shelf parts are good. Sometimes it's hard to find a group of parts that all works well together.

SOA and low with leaf springs can be challenging. If your going to custom make the frame you could do some things a little different to make more space for steering. Lots of options. Building a chassis that is REALLY low can be challenging. There are some limitations if you want to keep the body looking like something. On this buggy in a CJ7 project, I was basically limited by the rear body line where the top bolts on. You can't really open up the wheel opening much more than that.....same goes for the hood, even if you highline the fenders into the hood. I think I ended up with something like 3" of lift over a 'stock' jeep to fit a 42" tire with 6" of uptravel from ride height with a 12" shock. The nice thing about modeling it in solidworks was that I was able to move everything around to check clearances. At some point the inside of the stock tub and frame rail shape start to become an issue.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I'm not a computer guy forums are as far as I go. I can't even photo chop so solid works is probably way out of my skills.

I have dodge parts coming out my ears a good friend is a dodge nut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne