Tubing Bender question

Al_In_AV

I want to purchase round tube bending dies for my bender. If you have a bender, what size die or dies do you use the most? What size tubing do you use most for general fabrication? And what size center line bend radius do you use the most? Please list the 2 most used dies that you use. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

Last edited:

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
1.5 and 1.75 will cover 90% of your builds- .120 wall

CLR- depends on your dies- Tighter is nice but 5.5-6.5 is a well rounded not to tight if you decide you need lighter material ( split the material)

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I make mostly light duty brackets, storage stuff, etc. I use a 3/4" 2.25 CLR a lot for .056 Wall. Otherwise 1.5 or 1.75 is likely most common.

GhostRing

Observer
I offer up the option of 1.75" and 1.25" dies (both about 3x tube dia.)
I found I was using my 1.75" 3:1 over my 1.50" for bumper & cage work.
For smaller projects (car brushguards, gussets, swingout add-ons) I was using the 1.25" - much more than my 1.00" die.

Al_In_AV

Thanks for all the replies. All the advice will come in handy when it comes time to purchase my dies. Thanks again!

javajoe79

Fabricator
I do lot's of roll cages and use .750", 1", 1.25", 1.5", 1.625" and 1.75"

Most dies are about 3 x the tubing diameter.

Most used are 1.5" and 1.625" for me but would think most offroad cage stuff is 1.75"

SteelSaguaro

2" 6.5 CLR
1.5" 5.5 CLR
1" 4.5 CLR
It's was difficult to commit to die sizes when first getting started. I just made some cardboard cutouts and visualized some applications.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
you may not need to buy them all either. within my circle of work friends 3 of us have our own JD2 benders... cause guys need their own... but we trade or loan dies and "bending help" as needed. Complex projects are much easier if another person helps hold and align tube, and yet another helps drink all your beer.

Al_In_AV

I'll keep that in mind. That is a good idea sharing dies considering the cost of them. I will have to see if I can get my local buddies to also purchase the bender that I'm getting so we can share dies. A couple of my buddies want to see my bender first. I'm purchasing the model 3 bender from JD2. I will purchase the bender and a set of dies every pay day until I have what I need to start fabricating. Thanks for your help and advice.

paranoid56

Adventurer
I also picked up some of these to help with bending. pending protractors.
you get one for each tube/die size
110_1_.jpg

javajoe79

Fabricator
After doing it for years, I have narrowed it down to using a tape measure and a basic protractor type thing. You'll scrap some tubing but that is part of learning. I still scrap some from time to time.

Also maybe consider getting everyone to pitch in on it together if you are all going to use it or as future credit on fab work for your buddies who aren't DIY types. Upgrading to the power ram is also well worth it. I bought the E-Z bender years ago, brand new with 4 dies and air over hydraulic pedal for like $1200. Not sure you can even get that bender anymore. I think the factory making them shut down.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I got the model 3, and I'm very happy with it, although I occasionally wish I had gone up one model to whichever it is that does reverse bends (s-curves). they are an exercise in crazy math and measure with my unit. you'll also be amassed at how much shop space bending consumes, as the pipe swings around quite readily.

WSS

Rock Stacker
2" 6.5 CLR
1.5" 5.5 CLR
1" 4.5 CLR
It's was difficult to commit to die sizes when first getting started. I just made some cardboard cutouts and visualized some applications.

^^X2^^

The 2" is good for the main pillars and the 1.5" is good for supports and triangulation. 1" is good for hand grabs, tube doors, etc.

Any direction you go, get the 180 degree dies, you can do 90 degree bends with the 180 but not the other way around. Shock hops need more than 90, some tube steps, etc..

A buddy has a hydraulic bender too that uses hossfeld dies like mine, only his is really fast, mine creeps along but is still double acting.

551247d1359229594-official-cage-idea-pic-discussion-thread-dscn7369_zps1zldq1yh.jpg

551245d1359229594-official-cage-idea-pic-discussion-thread-dscn7374_zpssordivfn.jpg

IMG_4614_zpsm8rhtgkl.jpg

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Just for giggles I use a 1" SQUARE die all the time for brackets and fab work. Often a flat surface eliminates the need to add a tab down the road. I built most of my trailer with square tube over round tube.

For me, dies are to be factored into the project build. I am gearing up to make 3 Land Cruiser roof racks for me and a few buddies, they are all chipping in for the dies we want to get the look we desire, then I get to keep the dies... win win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles