Tubing fab.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I use a dusk mask as well. I'm not sure what they make the disks out of but between that and the dirty metal your grinding it can't be good to inhale that stuff.

robert

Expedition Leader
I've transported a couple of people for grinder related injuries as well as treated a few on the oil rigs. Never think even a 4" won't rip you open in a heartbeat and the larger 7" grinders are extremely dangerous! We had an LTI earlier this summer when an experienced welder pulled the cord instead of the plug on a 4", didn't insure it was de-energized and then went to change the cutting disc. He somehow bumped the paddle and it spun up enough to bite him in the thumb.

Years ago while cutting an exhaust bolt lose under one of my FJ40s I got a splinter of metal in my eye and had to have it removed. It somehow slipped in around my safety glasses that I had on. Ever since then I've always worn safety glasses and a face shield along with leather gloves. Make sure there is no loose clothing or anything else that they thing can grab too.

You need to double check the rpm ratings against your tools on everything that rotates but I also refuse to use any of the Chinese made cutting or grinding disks or their wire wheels/cups as I've seen them come apart more than once. The dollar saved just isn't worth the risk. Other common cause of incidents are using the wrong tool for the job, i.e. grinding with a cutting wheel or taking the handle off.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I hate it when I cut thru my nice welding gloves with the disk. Reminds me of the electrical hazard from all the knicks in the cord. That disk eats the cord when you barley brush it. Some reading may think we are just carless but if your doing a big job like retrofitting a bumper with brackets that has you crawling around it's easy to have a little out of control moments. The gyroscopic effect makes it squirley. The thing I'm the most scared of are thin cut off wheels. They are for cutting only but at times it's more convenient to use as a grinding disk instead of swapping disks. That cracks and chips them causing them to fly apart. Setting the grinder down on the ground or any ruff treatment can damage those thin disks so I take them off. I cought my elderly neighbor that is new to this kind of work grinding out rust and cobbled up seat brackets out of his Scout floorboard with a cut off wheel. I'm going to show him this thread because it's no joke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke