Tundra vs F150

rrflyer

I’m looking at upgrading from a 4Runner to fit 3 car seats in soon...... looking at Tubdra and F150s both crew cabs both V8s.

Wanting a decent do all truck for family but also do some back roads/fire roads. Big bend, Colorado, nm etc.....

Any opinions on one vs other?

Raul B

Explorer
I’m looking at upgrading from a 4Runner to fit 3 car seats in soon...... looking at Tubdra and F150s both crew cabs both V8s.

Wanting a decent do all truck for family but also do some back roads/fire roads. Big bend, Colorado, nm etc.....

Any opinions on one vs other?
What model of each?

I own a f150 and have never had an issue with it. My buddy had a tundra and that was great too. All depends on what you want and how much money you want to spend.. I would opt for thr fx4 option on the Ford to get rear lockers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Rear locker on the Ford is the swing vote for me. Seems like it has bigger wheel wells as well.

I want to say that mild coil over kits are cake on the Ford, but they're cake minor lifts on the Tundra as well. The Raptor kids have springs and aftermarket shock tuning down. Easy to copy.

Can I repost the twerking vid, or did they fix that? I carry a spare starter motor, offroad. Is the Toyota's still buried under the intake?

Last edited:

malibubts

Adventurer
Personally I don't think the Tundras are worth the extra Toyota tax. I'd go take a look at the half tons from The Big 3 and pick what you end up liking the best. IMO you can't really go wrong with any of them.

MR. ED

Observer
Went through the same thing a few years ago. Ended up with the 150 because I liked the interior better and it got better mpg. Really like how the rear window goes down in the Tundra.
Resale is better on the Tundra. Couldn’t even give my 5.0 away... really can’t go wrong.
You can find supercrew fords with the 6.5 foot bed. Had the 5.5 on mine and couldn’t stand it.

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I'm not a Ford guy, never owned an F150. Do own a Tundra CrewMax SR5, bought lightly used from a friend. It's OK, but feels like a light duty truck compared to my K1500 and PW (I know the PW is not a fair comparison). The Tundra is fast and quiet and comfortable, and the CrewMax cab is huge. I would not pay the price for a new one, because I think there are better options. The F150 is a non-starter for me because of the aluminum body panels and the Eco Boost. An F150 without Eco Boost still has an aluminum body, so it's out. GM quality is too spotty for my tastes. The new Titan is pretty nice, but resale will suck and aftermarket support is sparse. That leads us to the new Ram 1500. My PW is, by far, the best truck I have ever owned, so that makes me partial to Ram trucks. FWIW, Car & Driver just did a comparo on the Big 5 half-ton trucks and they decided the Ram is current best of breed.

rrflyer

The Crew Max bed is tiny
I think they’re both 5.5 aren’t they?

F150 I’ve been looking at is 5.0 with FX4/locker. Honestly only time I’ve ever used a locker on my runners is when I put myself purposely in a situation to need it.

rrflyer

I'm not a Ford guy, never owned an F150. Do own a Tundra CrewMax SR5, bought lightly used from a friend. It's OK, but feels like a light duty truck compared to my K1500 and PW (I know the PW is not a fair comparison). The Tundra is fast and quiet and comfortable, and the CrewMax cab is huge. I would not pay the price for a new one, because I think there are better options. The F150 is a non-starter for me because of the aluminum body panels and the Eco Boost. An F150 without Eco Boost still has an aluminum body, so it's out. GM quality is too spotty for my tastes. The new Titan is pretty nice, but resale will suck and aftermarket support is sparse. That leads us to the new Ram 1500. My PW is, by far, the best truck I have ever owned, so that makes me partial to Ram trucks. FWIW, Car & Driver just did a comparo on the Big 5 half-ton trucks and they decided the Ram is current best of breed.

We actually have a Ram 2500 diesel as my wife’s truck, it’s been a bag of problems and I dislike driving it most of the time. Tows our camper well and after 4 years we seem to have gotten most of the electrical things fixed.

I wouldn’t buy another ram..... especially with all the electronics in them now.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I think they’re both 5.5 aren’t they?

F150 I’ve been looking at is 5.0 with FX4/locker. Honestly only time I’ve ever used a locker on my runners is when I put myself purposely in a situation to need it.

Yeah I'm afraid to say it cuz I have owned a Tundra but out of the two trucks right now I would go with the Ford 5.0. The Ford is a newer design and is a good truck. I wouldn't get a ecoboost but thats just me.

But if you are going to sell it in a few years get the Tundra. Great resale.

The Tundra will be updated either next year or 2021. The Ford 5.0 is a good platform but resale sucks. I think the Ford looks better too but that really means nothing. Good luck with your choice.

ITTOG

I bought an 07 Tundra 5.7L in 2011 and a 18 F150 3.5L in July 2018. If I was buying again today I would lean towards the F150 5.0, then Tundra, and lastly the 3.5L. I have learned I absolutely hate turbo's. Waiting for them to spool up and problems related to the turbo's suck and are serious issues for the platform. As of today, I have had two recall's and two serious issues on the F150 requiring service. On the Tundra I have had one recall and now serious issues. So from a reliability standpoint the Tundra wins hands down. But given the current generation is 12 years old I wouldn't purchase it. If you can wait for the next gen then I would look at it as my primary choice.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The Tundra will be updated either next year or 2021. The Ford 5.0 is a good platform but resale sucks. I think the Ford looks better too but that really means nothing. Good luck with your choice.
Looks like the Tundra and Tacoma may be sharing a platform soon.

I went through this same motion a couple years ago. Ended up with an F150 Supercrew XLT Sport FX4 301A package with the 5'5" box. 5.0L w/ 3:73's and e locker. Tow package with integrated trailer brake. 2 years old when I got it w/ 21,000 miles. Ended up with the F150 cause I felt it was the best deal. Might go with the Tundra next time round. No issues with the Ford so far though. 70,000 miles on it now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles