Tundra vs F150

Status
Not open for further replies.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
You guys are just going to talk circles around eachother.

Tundra doesn’t even offer a diesel. At least ford tried and now has a nice diesel motor with the 6.7, same with dodge, Chevy, Nissan, and soon Jeep. All of which do everything the tundra does but with more power and MPG. They don’t even really compare. I doubt anyone who is looking at a full size diesel even considers tundra.

Dodge doesnt make a diesel, they pay Cummins for that. (Or Fiat for the V6 Ecodiesel)
Chevy technically doesn't make a diesel either, that's a joint venture between them and Isuzu (or Fiat if you're talking about the "new" baby diesels in the Colorado/Canyon)
Nissan makes tons of diesels, but they have to pay Cummins for their NA offering. Their overseas diesels are some of the greatest engines ever made.
Jeep also doesn't make a diesel... VM Motari (Fiat) manufactures those too.

Technically Ford, Toyota & Nissan are the only truck companies who actually make their own engines.

F350joe

You guys are just going to talk circles around eachother.

Dodge doesnt make a diesel, they pay Cummins for that. (Or Fiat for the V6 Ecodiesel)
Chevy technically doesn't make a diesel either, that's a joint venture between them and Isuzu (or Fiat if you're talking about the "new" baby diesels in the Colorado/Canyon)
Nissan makes tons of diesels, but they have to pay Cummins for their NA offering. Their overseas diesels are some of the greatest engines ever made.
Jeep also doesn't make a diesel... VM Motari (Fiat) manufactures those too.

Technically Ford, Toyota & Nissan are the only truck companies who actually make their own engines.

Yet Ford Dodge Nissan and Chevy all offer a diesel and Toyota does not. They don’t offer the Toyota diesel in NA for a reason. A diesel tundra with Toyota’s longevity would probably do really well here but they don’t because they don’t want to deal with our emissions standards. The big three and Nissan dealt with it by outsourcing to the experts, have figured it out, and all make really nice trucks that outperform tundra in every category. Even lowly Nissan. https://www.asburyauto.com/compare/2019-nissan-titan-xd-vs-2019-toyota-tundra/171308.

I like to hate on Toyota because I owned a 3.0 and a Tacoma that burst into flames nearly killing me and my dog. This was after going in for the recall on Tacomas for bursting into flames.

D

Deleted member 9101

The real problem with a Tundra desiel is the fact that it would cost the same as a F250, yet be rated to do less.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Yet Ford Dodge Nissan and Chevy all offer a diesel and Toyota does not. They don’t offer the Toyota diesel in NA for a reason. A diesel tundra with Toyota’s longevity would probably do really well here but they don’t because they don’t want to deal with our emissions standards. The big three and Nissan dealt with it by outsourcing to the experts, have figured it out, and all make really nice trucks that outperform tundra in every category. Even lowly Nissan. https://www.asburyauto.com/compare/2019-nissan-titan-xd-vs-2019-toyota-tundra/171308.

I like to hate on Toyota because I owned a 3.0 and a Tacoma that burst into flames nearly killing me and my dog. This was after going in for the recall on Tacomas for bursting into flames.

I’m sure you did

tacollie

Glamper
I looked at Ford 6.7 diesels but I didn't want to pay more in purchase price, fuel per gallon, oil change, filters, and Def for a couple miles to the gallon. Tundra and even my taco would cruise 80 loaded for trips. I buy used so the depreciation of gas vs diesel works in my favor. Plus the my diesel buddies need to be jumped after setting for multiple days in the winter on hit trips.

Dalko43

Explorer
I wasn't the one that brought up the 6.0. But since you're hung up on it, why are you worried about an engine that Ford hasn't used in over a decade? And since when did a (Toyota) head gasket become a wear item?

But fine... early 5.7 valvetrain issues were prevalent... but those also don't count?

The whole "Toyota is better than Ford because Ford has more issues because we refuse to recognize that Toyota has just as many issues" fanboy approach is kind of worn out.

Those valvetrain issues do count and are proof positive that no brand is perfect, something I have always acknowledged.

But let's be honest about the frequency and propensity for some of these issues.

Toyota's 5.7l, while it did have some issues, was, and still is, a mostly reliable engine. The valvetrain issues were the result of a manufacturing defect, not due to an inherent design flaw with the engine. More importantly, it was only a select few Tundra's which had that problem.

Ford's 6.0l and 6.4l Powerstrokes had inherent design flaws as they came from the factory which caused premature failure for a high percentage of those trucks. Ford never offered true fixes for these flaws (hence why the aftermarket industry has grown to support those engines). A lot of owners of those vehicles either had to preemptively spend thousands of $ to "bullet-proof" these engines or they had to spend even more money to replace the entire engine when it failed.

Similarly for the ecoboost, there is no factory fix for the early direct-injection variants. Those engines will eventually gunk up and require intake valve cleaning. Ford knew enough to change over the later versions to direct + port injection, but oddly enough they never provided any longterm solutions for those unfortunates who bought the direct injection variants.

Every brand has its own problems, but not all problems are to be viewed as equals. Toyota, despite its missteps, still produces trucks that are consistently ranked higher than any other brand (including Ford) for reliability. Ford pushes to have the "first" of any new type of engine and technology, which is great from a marketing standpoint but doesn't hold up well from a reliability standpoint.

Reactions: bkg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
****** do vaporware Toyota diesels and obsolete one ton trucks have to do with this conversation?

To prove that Toyota has a reliable history that appears to be rolling downhill? I wouldn't call the Tundra ''more reliable'' anymore. Maybe 5 years ago.

tacollie

Glamper
****** do vaporware Toyota diesels and obsolete one ton trucks have to do with this conversation?

To prove that Toyota has a reliable history that appears to be rolling downhill? I wouldn't call the Tundra ''more reliable'' anymore. Maybe 5 years ago.
Pretty much all vehicles are reliable if they are less than 5 years old these days. I don't think the tundra has last reliability. I think Ford and GM have gotten better. I'm the Toyota guy in a Ford family so I'm pretty familiar with Ford. I don't know about Ram because I don't like the interior and the way they look so they never made it on my list.

rruff

Explorer

Why would it be getting worse? They haven't changed anything... ;)

Last time I look at the Consumer Reports reliability survey (in 2016), the Tundra scored a 5 (out of 5), Nissan 3, Ford and GM a 2, and Ram 1. There has to be some reason why Tundra's resale value is so much better than any of them.

Dougnuts

Here you go guys, 20.4mpg over the last 2400 miles. As I said I would, here’s my 2018 F150 with gen 2 3.5 Ecoboost (w/ max tow) mileage for the last two weeks. This is one week of daily driving and one week of road trip with some ranch driving in the middle. About 1/3 of this mileage was on I-80 doing 80-82mph.

What did I learn? The Ecoboost and 10 speed is a match made in heaven. Disregarding impact of wind direction, if you can cruise between 60 and 68mph, this truck will get mileage in the mid-20s. If you go over 72-73, the fuel economy begins to drop a bunch. The factory computer in my truck is optimistic by about 1mpg, which I plan to remedy using the data collected. I did not drive to try and get good mileage, just good data. I had the auto start/stop disabled as well.

This is a truck rated to tow 13,200lbs with something like an 1800lb payload. Compared to my Father’s 2001 F150 with the 5.4L, my truck is bigger, faster, stronger and approximately 25% more fuel efficient.

This image below will change, mpg will be lower, as I get back into daily driving and child drop-off duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke