Tundra vs F150

Status
Not open for further replies.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Diesels used to be significantly more efficient... The EPA has made sure that isn't the case.

Having said that, i'd MUCH rather tow with my F350 6.7 than my former 2015 CrewMax…. it's significantly less work in the ford.
Wait a minute, hold the presses!!... are you serious?? A 1ton diesel pulls better than a crewcab gas 1/2 ton??... no way!!

Obviously YOU have never been in jnich's ecoboost, he puts diesels to shame!!

F350joe

And if we are going to talk about mental issues. Why can’t any of the anti diesel folk understand that the resale of a diesel truck is far better than a gasser. A gasser full-size is a throwaway after 150k of work, a diesel is just getting started. You put more in but you get more power, more mpg, and more back when you sell it. My old fixed up 7.3 is a blast to drive, it’s modified, but I’m still well under the cost of a new gasser. I’m in for the fun and don’t mind spending money on fun. Now that my boat is in the water and I have parked the camper and am back to a ground tent, I really have no use for such a big truck. Then I drive it, with a few friends, a bunch of toys for the weekend, pass people going up hill and still get better mileage than a two door Jeep or Tacoma.

There are some diesel boats out there that can shut down a bank of cylinders for cruising. That would be way cool, or towing or hauling, make that v8 a v4.

D

Deleted member 9101

Again... a forum dedicated to spending 10’s of thousands modifying vehicles is probably not the place to attempt to project a fallacy.

Valid point..I guess I forgot that this forum suggest that anyone towing or hauling more than 500 pounds "needs" a crew cab, long bed, diesel, 4x4, with a minimum of 4.10 gears and a snorkle.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

And if we are going to talk about mental issues. Why can’t any of the anti diesel folk understand that the resale of a diesel truck is far better than a gasser. A gasser full-size is a throwaway after 150k of work, a diesel is just getting started. You put more in but you get more power, more mpg, and more back when you sell it. My old fixed up 7.3 is a blast to drive, it’s modified, but I’m still well under the cost of a new gasser. I’m in for the fun and don’t mind spending money on fun. Now that my boat is in the water and I have parked the camper and am back to a ground tent, I really have no use for such a big truck. Then I drive it, with a few friends, a bunch of toys for the weekend, pass people going up hill and still get better mileage than a two door Jeep or Tacoma.

There are some diesel boats out there that can shut down a bank of cylinders for cruising. That would be way cool, or towing or hauling, make that v8 a v4.

Guess you missed the part where the diesel cost roughly 8-10k more than an equivalent gasser, and then it cost more for maintenance, insurance, repairs, and fuel. The math simply does not work out in a modern diesels favor. The fleet manger for my agency ran the numbers out to 300k and the 6.2 gas was far cheaper to operate per mile than the 6.7 powerstroke. Will the powerstroke pull better, yes... Will it cost thousands more over its life time to operate...also yes.

Also... Welcome to the 2000's.... It's a wonderful time.... A time where gas motors easily go past 150k while being worked on a daily basis.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer

Frack resale. If you like selling your truck every three years to get a new one, and take the huge depreciation hit every time....

The 6.2l makes 7.3l power all day long. And it's long block replacement, at 300 000+ miles, is still less than the eventual 7.3 rebuild.

What you're not paying attention to, is that your 7.3l has 5 dead cylinders and no heater for half of my usage every year. Add onto that, modern engines clogged DPF, everlasting regens, and non stop check engine lights, diesel doesn't work so hot. Custom diesel pickup shops have had overflowing lots for years now. Plenty of 7.3 and 5.9's among them. Not all of us live in Texas.

Cylinder deactivation is a horrible idea in diesel boats. Lightly loaded diesels have two options:
  1. Cylinder deactivation. Good because each cylinder gets a good workout, egt's stay high, and exhaust stays clean. At least until engine oil is pouring out of every exhaust connection. Staining the sides of the engine in a black flammable goo. And coating the valves in carbon.
  2. All cylinders on. Low egt's, wet stacking.
Being that ships and boat main engines are never lightly loaded, skip the deactivation BS, and just throttle up to full, once a day, to prevent wet stacking.

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I'm still trying to figure out who pulls out the calculator to figure a breakeven analysis when buying a new truck for personal use. Who are these crazy people? Do those same people perform the same analysis over their Corvettes or their wife's Expedition?

I just build what I WANT on the website and show up to the dealer with a printout to make a deal. I think most people are the same. If a few thousand here or there breaks a deal for you, maybe you're in the wrong hobby. Especially since most of the guys on here are probably financing that heap over 60 or 72 months and that diesel actually costs you only another $100 a month.

bkg

Explorer
Valid point..I guess I forgot that this forum suggest that anyone towing or hauling more than 500 pounds "needs" a crew cab, long bed, diesel, 4x4, with a minimum of 4.10 gears and a snorkle.

So bottom line...

you're right, everyone else is wrong. That's fine... it's a perspective... But are you right? Or are you correct? They are not always the same.

bkg

Explorer
Wait a minute, hold the presses!!... are you serious?? A 1ton diesel pulls better than a crewcab gas 1/2 ton??... no way!!

Obviously YOU have never been in jnich's ecoboost, he puts diesels to shame!!

Remember, that 1/2 ton Tundra, according to a number of folks on this site, is built stronger/better than most 3/4 trucks... so if I take their "truths" into account, it's probably like for like. :p

rruff

Explorer
I just build what I WANT on the website and show up to the dealer with a printout to make a deal. I think most people are the same. If a few thousand here or there breaks a deal for you, maybe you're in the wrong hobby.

Most people have a limited amount of $$$, and their "wants" are unlimited... they far exceed what they can buy.

Personally I wouldn't mind having a tuned diesel with all the emissions stripped off. That's the only way I'd own one, though.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
... A gasser full-size is a throwaway after 150k of work, a diesel is just getting started.

Agreed in the case of a Ford. In fact, many are throw-aways long before that (except the good ol' classics you see sometimes).

But a Toy of any kind that's been maintained is just breaking in at 150K and can quite easily go another 300K if you want it to.

Other observations:
-This thread is silly.

-Uh yeah, I can see how diesels are great for towing.

-For those who "need" (or feel compelled) to tow monstrous trailers and other crap: I sure hope you know how to drive. I run across more towing idiots who simply refuse to properly use turn-outs or passing lanes. Can't you leave all that crap home??? Does your torque rating inversely affect your IQ? :)

-Anybody who thinks the Ford EcoBoost engine is a good thing: I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. Cheap!

-I'm no tree-hugger, but ************** who feel the need to "roll coal" should be viewed as the low-lifes that they are. If you feel the need to have a diesel, great for you. But PLEASE don't be THAT guy. Thank you.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm still trying to figure out who pulls out the calculator to figure a breakeven analysis when buying a new truck for personal use. Who are these crazy people? Do those same people perform the same analysis over their Corvettes or their wife's Expedition?

I just build what I WANT on the website and show up to the dealer with a printout to make a deal. I think most people are the same. If a few thousand here or there breaks a deal for you, maybe you're in the wrong hobby. Especially since most of the guys on here are probably financing that heap over 60 or 72 months and that diesel actually costs you only another $100 a month.

Well, I appreciate it. People like you mentioned, payed my entire college tuition.

I'll keep bay 7 open for your cab off overhaul.

D

Deleted member 9101

-Anybody who thinks the Ford EcoBoost engine is a good thing: I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. Cheap!

Ok... I'll take the bridge please! I put ~170k on a 3.5 and the only problem it had was a burnt out alternator (ran to much emergency equipment for to long). I have 33k on my 2.7 and it has given me zero issues. My dad has ~150k on the 3.5 in his Expedition, it has given him zero problems. My brother is at ~90k on his 3.5 and not had a single problem. My neighbors son has a pretty heavily modified 2.4 in his Mustang and he has not has any problems. Two people in my neighborhood have Fusions with the EcoBoost and have had no problems.So do tell what do you have to back up your statement?

Also, the classics" were nowhere as reliable as modern vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94