Tundra vs. Ram comparison

Robthebrit

Explorer
While I think they make great trucks I can't take a comparison seriously when it conveniently forgot about half of the Ram line, there is only 1 Tundra there are 3 Rams with very different capabilities. Limiting the comparison to the 1500 is nice because it removes the Cummins engine which wins hands down.

Also, Isn't the 2 wheel ABS in the dodge on the front wheels?

Rob

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Yeah I though toyota was going to put their diesel out of the commercial Hyno line in the tundra and I was in line to buy one. When they announced a gas 8 I was sad. But for sure 1500-1500 the tundra wins. I test drove the dodge diesel and it was nice also the turning radius is nice and tight, not like my F250 which I loathe.

Aaron

Robthebrit

Explorer
Toyota make fantastic diesels, up there with Mercedes and Cummins. If they had a diesel Tundra it would be bye bye Dodge for me. In reality I would probably wait a couple of years to get a used one but without a doubt I would get one. I only have a dodge for the engine as I tow the smaller mog and in the near future an Airstream. I really am not too fond of the truck itself but there a few nice things, like the 6 speed stick with the Diesel, the under seat rack system for storage.

Rob

eugene

Explorer
Defiantly biased source. They fault the RAM for having a pushrod design which is what you want in a truck. You can't be having your truck in the shop for timing belt/half the engine replacement, looks like Toyota put another car engine in a truck again. Then they claim the ram's economy is overestimated even though Ram owners get that easily, my Chevy hits 20mpg highway and 17.5 is my average combined so I'm beating Toyota's 'superior' DOHC engine with my 1960's technology :) Then the stopping distance is the same yet Toyota wins. Just a little bit of bias there :)

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
My bro-in-law has a 2006 1500 Ram 4x4 with the 4.7L Magnum V8.

The Magnum V8 is a reliable motor and makes similar power to the Toyota 4.7 V8. The 2006 1500 Ram now has coil over shock front suspension which handles very nicely. The interior is quiter than previous models due to improvements in sound dampening, etc.

While I haven't driven the new 2007 Tundra, I'd rather have the 2006 Ram than a 2006 Tundra for sure. This is coming from someone who has driven a first generation Tundra for 6 months and loved it.

I really like the current generation Ram trucks.

cruiser guy

Explorer
I've had a Dodge Ram, mind you it was the 3/4 ton with the Cummins. I bought it because of the engine and sold it because of the truck! The Cummins is a great engine, unfortunately the truck it is in isn't!
Between gassers, the fit of the Toyota's I've driven, and lack of "fit" in the Dodge, would be enough for me to go with the Toyota again (but I'd NEVER buy a gasser, sorry Toyota!)

Bob_Sheaves

Observer
Sidebar Info

Sidebar information on the Toyota....

1. The truck was designed in Ann Arbor, MI by Americans.

2. Most of the people that designed the vehicle are ex-Jeep/Truck people from Chrysler, as well as a contingent of ex-Ford people.

3. Toyota threw out the partial design done in Japan prior to using the all American team.

The basic vehicle encompasses the good points (as far as the general industry goes-no comment on any personsl opinions) of the Ford and Dodge 1/2T pickups.

Best as always,

Bob Sheaves
CEO
catNET Incorporated
http://www.catnetsolutions.com

GaryMc

Explorer
The Rams have a LIFETIME drivetrain warranty right now, I think they end the offer in February. Too bad they exlcuded the diesels...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne