Turtle V truck now for sale

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I just received a color brochure on the new Tortuga Expedition Vehicle along with a spec sheet on the 2 available platforms (Ford 550 & Dodge 5500). This has been a long time coming and I really excited to see it finally available.

For those who do not know, the Wescotts are true pioneers in the expedition arena and having spent 30 plus years traveling mostly solo around the world.

I dont know of any available purpose built expedition vehicle that can compare to the Tortuga in the US .

Note: No price sheet included. I guess if you need to ask....

boblynch

Adventurer
Anyone have additional info? Does the brochure include pics or just specs? Have they built any prototypes?

I'm really curious about what they are offering for tires. Did it mention 335/80R20 Michelin XZL 141Ks? Are the wheels reversible?

Charlie

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
charlieaarons said:
I'm really curious about what they are offering for tires. Did it mention 335/80R20 Michelin XZL 141Ks? Are the wheels reversible?

Charlie

Michelin XZL MPT 335/80R20 on Custom 20 X 11 steel wheels.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
boblynch said:
Anyone have additional info? Does the brochure include pics or just specs? Have they built any prototypes?

Pic are included in the brochure but they are of the Turtle V. The available Vehicle has the same layout and build as the Turtle V from what I can tell. The only difference are the platforms.
On a separate spec sheet it read like the Turtle V all the way down to the gauges, lockers, and seats. Good choice on there part the Turtle V is a proven set-up.

theMec

Adventurer
landcruiserPhil, you have to ask the price!
C'mon - they sent you the brochure.
Please?

boblynch

Adventurer
Gary has a PDF version of the brochure. I haven't had a chance to review it in detail. He responded quickly to my email today. Yes, no price listed.

haven

Expedition Leader
choices

This is great news! I look forward to reading the PDF. Somebody post it someplace, please! I'm surprised that the Turtle Expedition website does not have details yet.

For several years, Gary Wescott has posted reports of progress working with a firm in Florida on a new Turtle. The Florida folks are custom boat builders, with the expertise to build a fiberglass camper shell to Gary's specs and outfit it with marine grade hardware. I guess the announcement that Gary is planning to build replica Turtle 5s means the deal with the Florida folks fell through.

Landcruiser Phil wrote
"I dont know of any available purpose built expedition vehicle
that can compare to the Tortuga in the US"

The Turtle 5 is great, no doubt. But I think Charlie Aarons' Unicat on a U500 chassis is superior in just about all respects. Learn about it here
http://www.unicatamericas.com/vehicles_amerigo_unimog.html

Chip Haven

status?

Anyone one heard from these folks?
I visited there website just now. It appears that there hasn't been any updated in a while and no recent activity on their thread/forum.

First and foremost, I am interested in there well being. I wish them well.
(The life of an expeditionist/wild-life traveler/writer/photograher, is nice and glory, but sometimes you just don't read about the risk/danger. I've lost a dear friend to such a life.)

Secondly, I came across their goal of marketing sometime similar to their Turtle V and or its successors and wanted some information about their project and its status.

If anyone knows their whereabouts, please post their new contact information and pass along my post.

Thank you kindly.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
expeditionvan said:
Anyone one heard from these folks?
I visited there website just now. It appears that there hasn't been any updated in a while and no recent activity on their thread/forum.

First and foremost, I am interested in there well being. I wish them well.
(The life of an expeditionist/wild-life traveler/writer/photograher, is nice and glory, but sometimes you just don't read about the risk/danger. I've lost a dear friend to such a life.)

Secondly, I came across their goal of marketing sometime similar to their Turtle V and or its successors and wanted some information about their project and its status.

If anyone knows their whereabouts, please post their new contact information and pass along my post.

Thank you kindly.
I thought Gary posted a few weeks ago about a trip he was leading but it show a year ago. Maybe he deleted it..
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/member.php?u=729

jwild

Vehicle Costs

The price quoted by UnicatAmericas for a 500U-based vehicle is "starting at $ 500,00.00"

I am (reliably) informed that Global Xpedtion Vehicles quotes their 500U-based vehicle at $ 350,000.00 plus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles