two tire questions

Jfet

Adventurer
Hi, I am new to these medium trucks and have a question about tires, since I need to replace them on the 2006 Isuzu NRR I just bought.

1) I would like to go with the Toyo M608Z drive tire on all 6. Is this ok or do I have to put steer tires on the front axle?

2) Can I run 245/70R19.5 instead of 225/70R19.5 as recommended from the Isuzu 2006 NRR spec sheet?

Thanks!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I would like to go with the Toyo M608Z drive tire on all 6. Is this ok or do I have to put steer tires on the front axle?
I have the M608Z tyres all round as singles, so I see no reason why you would have to use different steer tyres at the front.

blackduck

Explorer
The concept of seperate "steer" and "drive" tyres is more focused on the heavy transport industry where extra traction is required to move a load on sometimes unforgiving surfaces, and not so much on recreational light trucks
your choice of tyres suits your requirement so long as you dont go outside the weight and speed aspects of the tyre
myself Im currently running what could only be described as a steer tyre all round (long continuous grooves), but they came with it new and havent worn out yet
when it comes time to change Ill probably go a little more drive (blocks) all round but ill probably be going for singles aswell
be they boring old steel 19.5's or bright shiny alloy 16's Im not sure yet

Jfet

Adventurer
Thank you both. If I go with the 245 M608Z on all 6 tires it will be a combined load rating of well over 25,000 lbs, and my vehicle is only rated at 19,500...should be good.

My only concern was if using traction mud/snow tires on the front steer would cause a danger. Sounds like all it might cause is wear and rougher ride.

JRhetts

Adventurer
...My only concern was if using traction mud/snow tires on the front steer would cause a danger. Sounds like all it might cause is wear and rougher ride.

No, no danger if you stay within the load rating. You may experience more wear incl cupping on the front with a blocky traction tread, along with somewhat more noise. I have been running Bridgestone MZX 711's on all 6 rims and am VERY HAPPY. Road driving at up to 70 mph is very secure and off pavement performance is simply excellent, incl driving dry washes and alluvial fans.

Jfet

Adventurer
No, no danger if you stay within the load rating. You may experience more wear incl cupping on the front with a blocky traction tread, along with somewhat more noise. I have been running Bridgestone MZX 711's on all 6 rims and am VERY HAPPY. Road driving at up to 70 mph is very secure and off pavement performance is simply excellent, incl driving dry washes and alluvial fans.

Thanks John, that makes me feel a bit better about going to all drive.

Do you think it really makes much difference if I stick with the normal 225 size vs going with the 245? Larger does sound better but if I stuck with the 225 I could use two of the existing rear tires which are not in bad shape as my spares (vs spending $1000 on two new spares that may be rarely used). If the 245 is going to be a lot better then I would just go with those.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi, I am new to these medium trucks and have a question about tires, since I need to replace them on the 2006 Isuzu NRR I just bought.

1) I would like to go with the Toyo M608Z drive tire on all 6. Is this ok or do I have to put steer tires on the front axle?

2) Can I run 245/70R19.5 instead of 225/70R19.5 as recommended from the Isuzu 2006 NRR spec sheet?

Thanks!

From our information, the Toyo is an "all position" tyre and not a " drive-axle only" tyre so there is no issue but...... If you're truck is a 2wd, then the extra traction of this tyre isn't of any benefit on the front axle is it ?...I guess the question is why go to traction tyres all round? Have limited experience driving in icy roads....maybe an all position will brake better...not sure so made the comment about lack of experience there. . IMO a steer pattern won't follow the dips in the road like a traction tyre. That's why thy developed purely 'steer' tyres I guess. I'd talk to a tyre shop guy that has experience in the type of conditions you want to run in and with trucks like your NRR. As for sizes , use the tyre placard as a guide.

On my old NPR, I would run Bridgestone steer and Firestone drive. I had 3 sets of tyres on it in the time I had it and that combo was the best I tried. Sorry can't remember the codes.....the Firestone was discontinued here but it was quite aggressive and the Bridgestone was very similar to look at as the R215 .

Last edited:

JRhetts

Adventurer
... If you're truck is a 2wd, then the extra traction of this tyre isn't of any benefit on the front axle is it ?...

I went "Ooops": I assumed Jfet's rig was 4 wheel drive. If not, then John's point is bang-on! In my case I definitely have needed and used 4x4 and 4x4Low, so having front drive tires definitely makes a difference and is worth it.

Thanks!

Regarding your 2nd question, if you are currently running 6.00 rims they may have insufficient backspacing to prevent "kissing" of tire sidewalls at the bottom bulge, which can cause catastrophic tire failure.

Charlie

Jfet

Adventurer
Regarding your 2nd question, if you are currently running 6.00 rims they may have insufficient backspacing to prevent "kissing" of tire sidewalls at the bottom bulge, which can cause catastrophic tire failure.
Charlie

Thanks Charlie. I think I will just go with the standard 225/70R19.5 M608Z Toyo on the all 6 tires, but only do the front tires right now (the ones that need it bad because steel belt is showing through). If it rides ok with those on the front, I will replace the back four with the same tires. If it rides rough, I will get steer tires for the front and swap those to the back. This seems like a good plan with the least chance of screwing up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94