Two weeks in Baja, Chuck's trip in March 07

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I finally got the last of my Baja report online. :wings:

Me, Brian (Wolfsoul on this board), & Marisa (one of his co-workers) spent two weeks in Baja back in March. We drove south from Tucson, through Nogales, down to Los Mochis and Topolobampo, then took the ferry to La Paz. We then spent the next 2 weeks working our way out of Baja. :camping:

Here is a basic map of the journey.

MyBajaMap500.jpg

My travel log is linked here: March 07 Baja Trip

If you don't want all the details and just want some pics, there is a simple gallery here.

This trip had it all. Just a few of the highlights for me would include:
  • A lot of Tecate
  • Kayaking
  • Snorkeling
  • Photography
  • Old missions
  • Kind, generous local people
  • Cool wildlife
  • Meeting good friends in the middle of nowhere
  • Friendly whales
  • Crazy weather
  • Beautiful weather
  • 4-wheeling

And much more...

A few pictures...

IMG_4859.jpg

IMG_4874.jpg

baja-03112007-016.jpg

IMG_5055.jpg

IMG_5160.jpg

IMG_5273.jpg

IMG_5373.jpg

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Chuck Congratulations on a great write up and trip, as usual you rock!:arabia:

Now I have to go to sleep and it is late, however I enjoyed your trip!

Just like a good book, you just can't stop reading untill you finish!:wings:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Awesome write up on this great trip. I felt like I was there along with the group. Thanks for all the great photos, Chuck humor, and refreshing my memory a bit, with a few familar places.

I gotta learn to go south more ;)

blupaddler

Conspirator
Good job!!!
It was great meeting up with you guys.

I was hoping to finish my report before you, but things have been busy around here. I am hoping to have mine done by the end of the year.

:clapsmile

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
eurorom said:
Chuck Congratulations on a great write up and trip, as usual you rock!:arabia:

Now I have to go to sleep and it is late, however I enjoyed your trip!

Just like a good book, you just can't stop reading untill you finish!:wings:

Thanks man, I appreciated your insights over PM on the mainland part of this trip. :costumed-smiley-007 It helped with the planning a lot.

desertdude said:
Awesome write up on this great trip. I felt like I was there along with the group. Thanks for all the great photos, Chuck humor, and refreshing my memory a bit, with a few familar places.

I gotta learn to go south more

You have been going north a lot Pasquale. I like warmer temps myself. :luxhello:

bluepaddler said:
Good job!!!
It was great meeting up with you guys.

I was hoping to finish my report before you, but things have been busy around here. I am hoping to have mine done by the end of the year.

Thanks Robb, I'm sooo glad that you and Cat met us at the whale camp. That was a Ton of fun! I'm looking forward to your whale pics. :drool:

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
Excellent writeup & awesome photos!! I look forward to doing a trip similar to that someday, and putting the Baja map software to good use. Thanks for sharing about your experience.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I sat up well past Midnight last night reading the entire trip report. I killed off an entire pint of Ben & Jerry's Americone Dream while reading and scanning through the photos. And I'm left with a few thoughts -

1. This trip had a little bit of everything; remote 4WDtrails, odd birds, friendly whales, beautiful missions, snorkeling, good friends, Tecate, kayaks, etc., etc..... And it all looks like a blast. You suck, I'm so jealous.

2. Excellent text to accompany the many great photos. D-Dude said it best, it was like I was along for the ride. Very, very well written without being too long-winded. Great map link too for someone like me who has yet to visit the penninsula, really helped me visualize where you were.

3. I went through the gallery again this morning with Riley on my lap and showed him all of the animals. He loved the whales and birds. He's never seen the ocean in person, so even as I type this, he's asking when can we got to Baja and see the whales! I told him maybe Uncle Chuck will take us next Spring.

4. Loved Brian's PDA and wireless keyboard idea. I like that alot. So how happy are you with your Fridge now? Oh, and Angel's shirt rules.

Superb write up, beautiful photos and what looks to be a very ambitious tour. I really liked the daily report format you used. Now I really, really wish I could have made the trip. This Baja trip report was well worth the wait. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Last edited:

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
nice report and pics Chuck - looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing.:clapsmile

articulate

Expedition Leader
Yeah, baby!

Beautiful anecdote:
Once I reached the border agent they asked me if I had any fruits and vegetables and I answered with: “I think I’ve eaten them all”. There was a long pause and the agent then asked me again with a nasty tone if I had any fruits and vegetables and I said with the same tone “I said I ate them all!!!” This pissed him off and he sent me to secondary. First time I’ve been sent to secondary in 8 trips to Mexico.
Screw border guards. If you're not in the mood to wipe their butts and be peachy-nice, they'll give you the "I can make you life a living hell, bucko" attitude. Okay, I guess they can to some degree. What is the deal with some of those punks anyway?

Way to go, Chuck. I'm proud you stuck to your guns of a harmless joke - HA! Reminds me of Meet the Parents: "okay you know what, take your scrubby little paws *off* my bag, okay? It's not like I have a bomb in here. It's not like I wanna blow up the plane. I just want to store my bag according to your safety regulations."

Chuck, I really enjoyed reading your trip log! I can relate to the wind and sand blowing--and I love the story of drinking wine/playing cards/and eating chocolate chips!

Beautiful photos, makes me want a kayak~~:sunny:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Nice job Chuck! But I have a question....is it wrong that my kayak has been to Baja more times than I have?????:rolleyes:

Baja Trekker

awesome!

Chuck - awesome awesome awesome trip report!! Great wildlife photos too, by the way: the whales, the birds, the lizards ... Thanks for putting so much time into your report - makes me feel like I'm back in Baja. :sombrero:

rvrfish

Observer
Good morning Chuck,

I literally have been logging on all through April checking to see if you wrote your trip report. I almost wrote you a PM saying what’s up?

Ugh, I get to work today I see your report. Now have to wait until tonight to check it out. It’s going to be a long day at work, but I know tonight is going to be great reading!

Thanks in advance!

Matt W

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
kcowyo said:
I sat up well past Midnight last night reading the entire trip report. I killed off an entire pint of Ben & Jerry's Americone Dream while reading and scanning through the photos. And I'm left with a few thoughts -

1. This trip had a little bit of everything; remote 4WDtrails, odd birds, friendly whales, beautiful missions, snorkeling, good friends, Tecate, kayaks, etc., etc..... And it all looks like a blast. You suck, I'm so jealous.

2. Excellent text to accompany the many great photos. D-Dude said it best, it was like I was along for the ride. Very, very well written without being too long-winded. Great map link too for someone like me who has yet to visit the penninsula, really helped me visualize where you were.

3. I went through the gallery again this morning with Riley on my lap and showed him all of the animals. He loved the whales and birds. He's never seen the ocean in person, so even as I type this, he's asking when can we got to Baja and see the whales! I told him maybe Uncle Chuck will take us next Spring.

4. Loved Brian's PDA and wireless keyboard idea. I like that alot. So how happy are you with your Fridge now? Oh, and Angel's shirt rules.

Superb write up, beautiful photos and what looks to be a very ambitious tour. I really liked the daily report format you used. Now I really, really wish I could have made the trip. This Baja trip report was well worth the wait. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Thanks KC. I wish you could have made it, my open seat had your name on it! Riley will love the ocean when you take him there someday. I'll attach a picture that didn't make it to my site. It's at San Juanico, this couple parked on the beach near us and let their little one run around the beach with their three dogs. What cool memories for a little tyke to have.

EDIT: Forgot answer the fridge question. The fridge was so awesome I can't even tell you. My Tecates were just above freezing the whole trip. :beer: I had meat I brought from home that was still partially frozen a week in to the trip and good to go.

That's cool that you saw Angel's shirt, good eye for detail man. :Wow1:

Last edited:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
desertgirl66 said:
Beautiful photos, makes me want a kayak~~:sunny:

You and DD get some kayaks and let's go! :punk03:

Goodtimes said:
Nice job Chuck! But I have a question....is it wrong that my kayak has been to Baja more times than I have?????

I hear ya bro. Just to put your mind at ease, your kayak had a lot of fun in Baja and missed you. :hehe:

rvfish said:
Good morning Chuck,

I literally have been logging on all through April checking to see if you wrote your trip report. I almost wrote you a PM saying what’s up?

Ugh, I get to work today I see your report. Now have to wait until tonight to check it out. It’s going to be a long day at work, but I know tonight is going to be great reading!

Thanks in advance!

Matt W

Sorry Matt, I've been slacking. :p :victory:

Thanks for all the comments everybody. :wavey:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior