TX-NM-AZ-CA-NV-UT-CO-WY-SD-NE-OK-TX, July 2018

vhercules

Always a pleasure to read your road trip posts. I can imagine the fun you are having.
Curious on what awd stock vehicles did you see at Bridal veil ?

Always a pleasure to read your road trip posts. I can imagine the fun you are having.
Curious on what awd stock vehicles did you see at Bridal veil ?

The trip has been a blast so far. Thanks for taking the time to read it and see the pictures.

Yeah, I was surprised at some of the cars I saw at Birdal Veil Falls. Have you by chance been on that road?

There are 2 parts to it.

The bottom area is below the waterfalls. That is actually the prettiest spot. And a very rough drive to get here.

The upper area is where everybody must stop and make a uturn. The upper area is nice in that you get to visit that 125 years old building and then you get a good aerial view of the town of Telluride. It gets tougher to get up here and the views are pretty but scarier if you make a mistake and fall, it is probably instant death.

Going up this road is very rough, but I was amazed at some cars I saw.

At the bottom point, I stopped and spent some time to take pictures of the waterfall. Here I met a Honda Civic. Yeah, this was the one that really shocked me. No 4x4 or awd. But it made it. Next that surprised me was a Hyndai Tucson(??, may have been no awd). And a Toyota Highlander(maybe no awd). Also, Audi A7(awd). With 2 Chevy Tahoe(4×4). Here is a picture I took at the lower area that shows some of the cars that were still packed when I took the picture.
LQC9a6l.jpg

At the upper area, I met 3 Subarus. But all of them were awd. But what surprised me is all of them had stock tires and nobody aired down. And in 4x4 world, it is very advisable to air down especially driving on all those sharp rocks that these cars ventured on. I am sure all these little cars hit their bottoms at a few places. Nissan Rogue(awd) and Escalade(4x4). The rest of the vehicles there were very capable 4x4s like a Jeep Cherokee, Range Rover, Toyota Sequoia, Chevy 4x4 truck and my Infiniti. Here is a drone pic of the cars still parked when I took a pic.
8yiJAXK.jpg

Last edited:
I ended my day in Ouray a day earlier since I had had enough offroading with my car and was ready for a new destination.

So, I left Ouray yesterday for Albuquerque. I used a scenic route going through Durango, Pagosa Springs, CO and Santa Fe, NM to finally end in Albuquerque. Pagosa Springs is a nice small town where I met over 130 Mini vehicles on a Nation wide rally meeting of Minis and ate the best ribeye steak so far on this trip at a local restaurant there.
OpUVJyu.jpg

From Pagosa Springs, drove another 3 hours and got to visit some touristic buildings.
Oi6IzYl.jpg

606HpjW.jpg

pwlBvr1.jpg

iLJEAyZ.jpg

YXVOPjs.jpg

xQJRXQ8.jpg

YhwVQyx.jpg

nZ4MKHS.jpg

Q8FRFo1.jpg

GwxKNje.jpg

FYH831f.jpg

pGgbc72.jpg

3xUHlfg.jpg

Last edited:
Today, I drove 8 hours from Albuquerque, NM to Wichita Falls, TX. I made a stop at the famous Big Texan Steak Ranch in Albuquerque for some steak.
qPutQ90.jpg

1hqdRP1.jpg

gCu4RpS.jpg

3d0DBqq.jpg

aGVSMCD.jpg

Last edited:

molanginaeda

Observer
Today, I drove 8 hours from Albuquerque, NM to Wichita Falls, TX. I made a stop at the famous Big Texan Steak Ranch in Albuquerque for some steak.

@PetitFrereArmada We should have meet up at the Big Texan Steak house and sign up for the challenge. After seeing the real steak in person, I think I'm able to finish it in 1 hour. The side like bread & potatoes might be a show stopper.

Sorry to miss you in Ouray/Moab. I was taking a slow and easy pace. We are at least several days behind.

Did you miss getting to WY/SD? How was the black hill area?

Last edited:
@PetitFrereArmada We should have meet up at the Big Texan Steak house and sign up for the challenge. After seeing the real steak in person, I think I'm able to finish it in 1 hour. The side like bread & potatoes might be a show stopper.

Sorry to miss you in Ouray/Moab. I was taking a slow and easy pace. We are at least several days behind.

We should have! Yeah, I think I could finish that steak in an hour, though I have to really get myself hungry first.

It would have been great to meet you again for sure. Too bad our timings were too different.

I ended up having to get home for some work deadline that was adjusted while I was gone. So, I never had the chance to go to SD/WY area. Maybe some other trip.

Now, I have already been to all the states on the West coast and have my "Welcome To..." signs. But, I have never been to a lot of the states on the East coast. I have been to some East coast states. I would like to visit that part next, if I am lucky to have some time next year. My goal would be to hopefully have time next year to drive to the East Coast states and go as far as to August, Maine which is 2000 miles and 30 hours away.

molanginaeda

Observer

We should have! Yeah, I think I could finish that steak in an hour, though I have to really get myself hungry first.

It would have been great to meet you again for sure. Too bad our timings were too different.

I ended up having to get home for some work deadline that was adjusted while I was gone. So, I never had the chance to go to SD/WY area. Maybe some other trip.

Now, I have already been to all the states on the West coast and have my "Welcome To..." signs. But, I have never been to a lot of the states on the East coast. I have been to some East coast states. I would like to visit that part next, if I am lucky to have some time next year. My goal would be to hopefully have time next year to drive to the East Coast states and go as far as to August, Maine which is 2000 miles and 30 hours away.

Cool. New England is our home. Maine/New Hempshire/Vermont/Massachusetts is all beautiful. Although, you can’t ignore the beautiful east coast share with Canada too. New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island all have high rating. If time allow, Newfoundland should be top of the list. Let me know if you swing over this area or have any question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles