U.S. alternative to Seitz top hinged windows

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
Thanks for the further explanation David. I understand.
Email recv'd, thanks for that.
Looking forward to receiving 3 of your 10 window sizes. Unfortunately I'll have to go elsewhere for the 4th as the 450x1100 is just a wee bit too big.
Thanks again for your excellent service thus far!
Note to others; my information in post #208 is incorrect, TernOverland hasn't been using EuroVision windows since sometime in 2018 (https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...op-hinged-windows.140945/page-10#post-2526055), thus why the 21 EuroVision sizes is a moot point. Apologies for not catching the info in post #145 previously.

Thanks Jeremy,
I sent you a second email answering some questions in more detail. The positive side of this is that if you ever have a question, we actually answer the phone and help. If you need any part in an emergency, even a complete glazing, or blind screen assembly, we can overnight it to you immediately at a fair price. Not one other major component manufacturer can make that claim with a straight face. That service does come at a cost to us, but we bear it. We are pleased to have you as a customer!
David

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks Jeremy,
I sent you a second email answering some questions in more detail. The positive side of this is that if you ever have a question, we actually answer the phone and help. If you need any part in an emergency, even a complete glazing, or blind screen assembly, we can overnight it to you immediately at a fait price. Not one other major component manufacturer can make that claim with a straight face. That service does come at a cost to us, but we bear it. We are pleased to have you as a customer!
David

Thank you David. I really appreciated your helpful and professional email. Very very impressed.
This level of service before, during, and after sale is HUGELY rare. Keep up the industry-leading work!!

Last edited:

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hey David and Aimee, I for one would still like to see the armor panels (if there is any money left in the budget...) . Or even if you decide not to do them share your thoughts on how you were intending on how to do it. We are on the way to Mexico (currently in Arkansas and will be in Texas this afternoon) for a bit of a test for the truck and hope to go to Overland Expo West in May, hopefully we can work in a stop by your place.

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
Hey David and Aimee, I for one would still like to see the armor panels (if there is any money left in the budget...) . Or even if you decide not to do them share your thoughts on how you were intending on how to do it. We are on the way to Mexico (currently in Arkansas and will be in Texas this afternoon) for a bit of a test for the truck and hope to go to Overland Expo West in May, hopefully we can work in a stop by your place.

Hey Jon,
Good to hear from you! Definitely stop by if you can! Just call Aimee and set up a time. Tuesdays and Fridays are currently a little less hectic. For the next few weeks, Wednesdays and Thursdays are booked for me. I appreciate hearing from people like you and Jeremy. If we do get ongoing interest in the armor, I'll take a second look at it. One thing that set the project way back was the tariff on Chinese products. We had identified a manufacturer for these when the aluminum tariff hit. Contrary to what you you may hear , American manufactures pay 100% of the tariffs. The Chinese do not pay a dime. If the tariffs stay in place, and we decide to offer them somehow, we may hand off the project to another company, or perhaps sell a kit that we can create for a fair price. The stainless steel latch / lock mechanism is my own design and uses a magnetic key that I also designed. We could produce just the lock mechanism and give people some options for obtaining the shield. There are innovative ways that it could work.

Darwin

Explorer
It seems like prices of the Outbound windows have gone up quite a lot. I was initially leaning toward these windows and was willing to pay even a few thousand more dollars to get them but it looks like the price is just too high to make any sense. I don't know if it's related to the tariffs or what. Here is what I was quoted for 4 windows.

"Please find below the pricing for the windows requested.
I also added the matching blind kit to the quotation:

2x RA 20 + CH-20-AK
1x RA 10 + CH-10-AK
1x RA 03 + CH-03-AK

4696 USD including export packaging and US customs
750 USD shipping estimate (final amount to be discussed)

Please let me know if you have any questions."

So about $5,400 for 4 windows.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
It seems like prices of the Outbound windows have gone up quite a lot. I was initially leaning toward these windows and was willing to pay even a few thousand more dollars to get them but it looks like the price is just too high to make any sense. I don't know if it's related to the tariffs or what. Here is what I was quoted for 4 windows.

"Please find below the pricing for the windows requested.
I also added the matching blind kit to the quotation:

2x RA 20 + CH-20-AK
1x RA 10 + CH-10-AK
1x RA 03 + CH-03-AK

4696 USD including export packaging and US customs
750 USD shipping estimate (final amount to be discussed)

Please let me know if you have any questions."

So about $5,400 for 4 windows.
nothing wrong with the arctic tern windows but if you like real glass we can may help you. We just became the North American partner for mekuwa windows from Germany. These windows have stainless hardware and are the going standard in high end European motor homes. Feel free to send us an email for pricing and options.

Attachments

• 64E528A0-C93B-4EB7-9E97-CF62CBA289F2.jpeg
    64E528A0-C93B-4EB7-9E97-CF62CBA289F2.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 49

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Very interesting Andreas. Are screens and shades also available for the Mekuwa windows? The answer wasn't obvious when quickly browsing their website.

Ramdough

Adventurer
nothing wrong with the arctic tern windows but if you like real glass we can may help you. We just became the North American partner for mekuwa windows from Germany. These windows have stainless hardware and are the going standard in high end European motor homes. Feel free to send us an email for pricing and options.

They look nice.

Do you have specs posted yet?

Are they double paned? Are there thermal breaks in the frames?

Thanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Victorian

They look nice.

Do you have specs posted yet?

Are they double paned? Are there thermal breaks in the frames?

Thanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Listing will go up in a couple weeks. working out logistics right now.
yes they are double pane and thermal transfer free with stainless hardware.

Victorian

Are the Mekuwa windows DOT certified? Are they gas filled, or air filled?
Gas filling is a myth. Nobody does that for this industry. It’s more important that the double pane is sealed proper to avoid condensation. That is very difficult to do! Especially with windows that are mounted in vehicles. With altitude changes the windows act like a ballon ( expansion-contraction) . Over the years that can break the seal and they start fogging up. There is very little that can be done about this. as for DOT: not yet, we have the European certificate that usually surpasses North American standards. In other words they tested and built to very high standards.

ocorb

Gas filling is a myth. Nobody does that for this industry. It’s more important that the double pane is sealed proper to avoid condensation. That is very difficult to do! Especially with windows that are mounted in vehicles. With altitude changes the windows act like a ballon ( expansion-contraction) . Over the years that can break the seal and they start fogging up. There is very little that can be done about this. as for DOT: not yet, we have the European certificate that usually surpasses North American standards. In other words they tested and built to very high standards.

Just a correction: Gas filling is not a myth but it does not help for condensation. Typically, North American glass processor will add Argon gas and European top of the line processors will add Krypton gas to increase the U-value of a sealed glass unit (some sort of R value for windows, so basically insulation rating for the sealed unit not including the frame). It isn't a bad idea to have a gas other than just air in a sealed unit but on an RV window, the window frame will be your weak point so there is not point improving the performances of the glass unit.

As for the windows acting like a ballon with altitude *and temperature* changes, I totally agree and someone buying RV insulated glass windows should be cautious on the size they are ordering. The larger your window will be, the higher the risk of having a seal leak causing condensation in the window.

On the upside, you get a sharper view when looking thru a glass window compare to an acrylic one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste