U.S. alternative to Seitz top hinged windows

java

Expedition Leader
"exterior" ... as in "Exterior surfaces" AKA- parts not inside the window frame that would conflict with it's ability to open and close or slide. This would include "exterior surface of window frame" that lies in the Interior of the camper.

Sorry for my bad choice of words.
I understood just fine, I just think you would need a lot more insulation than you could paint on. The aluminum easily transfers heat in/out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Here's my plan to deal with that a little bit. The windows are made to fit a wall that's 50 mm which is approximately 1.9 inches, my walls are going to be thicker than that so I'll get longer bolts the exterior ring and the interior ring won't touch so there will be no bridging of metals other than the bolts and I'll fill the gap between with a silicone or other sealant material. I know this doesn't solve the problem but I think it will make it a fair amount better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Here's my plan to deal with that a little bit. The windows are made to fit a wall that's 50 mm which is approximately 1.9 inches, my walls are going to be thicker than that so I'll get longer bolts the exterior ring and the interior ring won't touch so there will be no bridging of metals other than the bolts and I'll fill the gap between with a silicone or other sealant material. I know this doesn't solve the problem but I think it will make it a fair amount better.

I'm very interested in how this works! Please report back. I could easily do this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ripperj

Explorer
I was day dreaming about two sets of Motion single pane in each window hole for a composite panel (thick panels)
You would end up with double pane and the frames would not touch. As mentioned in the example above , the screws would be the only heat bridge.
Only the outer window would have screens. Would be a little extra work to open as you would have to unlock and slide two separate panes to get ventilation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Pulled the trigger with the Eurovision windows, Total Composites and Tern Overland have been super helpful and knowledge.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Pulled the trigger with the Eurovision windows, Total Composites and Tern Overland have been super helpful and knowledge.

Tell us why you went with Eurovision acrylic vs Outbound glass.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
I wanted glass windows but a quote on my order for the outbound window's was over 10,000 dollars and a quote for a little bit larger windows for Euroversion was 3000. I like the fiberglass frame on the outbound but the outside and inside of the Eurovision Windows will not be touching and I'll have some insulation in between, not quite as good but an acceptable compromise for the price. I don't like that the Eurovision don't open up to 90 but I have some ideas on how to deal with that and Dave from Tern Overland is helping me out with that. Overall after watching lots of videos and talking to quite a few people I think the quality is there with the Eurovision Windows and blinds, I'll let you know when I get them but it won't be until mid January.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
.... over 10,000 dollars and a quote for a little bit larger windows for Euroversion was 3000.
Ya, it seems like their prices have come down even more (at least on the larger sizes)
The 550mm x 1100mm window that I bought in September of this year for $564, is now only $418, great price!

Zybane

Windows have always been a concern for me. Especially since I like large windows that let in a lot of light/views. I always found it odd that Earthroamer uses cheap acrylic windows on half million dollar rigs.

Coachgeo

Explorer
honestly way all this is going in window cost coupled with heat/ac losses. ...... think I'll spend 400 to 1,000 bucks on cameras in various places outside and a big screen and couple med. screens inside with switches to view any of the cameras from any of the screens. Solar LED lights are cheap enough am not loosing that. Venting to the outside is far cheaper than cost of windows it appears.... as is cracking a door open. My box is an Ex-ambulance with no windows but on doors.

bahncamperworks

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
honestly way all this is going in window cost coupled with heat/ac losses. ...... think I'll spend 400 to 1,000 bucks on cameras in various places outside and a big screen and couple med. screens inside with switches to view any of the cameras from any of the screens. Solar LED lights are cheap enough am not loosing that. Venting to the outside is far cheaper than cost of windows it appears.... as is cracking a door open. My box is an Ex-ambulance with no windows but on doors.
Are you actually talking about "watching" the outside on a tv screen inside the camper? To each their own but if this is the case you could just let the MS windows "nature" theme screen saver roll on your laptop and sit on your couch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Coachgeo

Explorer
Are you actually talking about "watching" the outside on a tv screen inside the camper? To each their own but if this is the case you could just let the MS windows "nature" theme screen saver roll on your laptop and sit on your couch. ...
Yeah but you can't walk out thru MS windows screen saver and make a bonfire and shoot the shiat with live breathing people around it.... and cuddle next to it under the stars with a cute love one... The overland camper is part to retreat too when bugs get bad etc. and part to get you and few friends out to places where others rarely tread.

downhill

Adventurer
Windows have always been a concern for me. Especially since I like large windows that let in a lot of light/views. I always found it odd that Earthroamer uses cheap acrylic windows on half million dollar rigs.

I saw the Earthroamer rigs at Expo West last year, and was a little shocked by the poor quality of those windows too. I think they were Dometic. The Arctic Tern windows that Tern Overland carries are acrylic too, but the quality is in another league. Worth a look if you like that type of window.

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
Tern Overland will be at Overland Expo West in space A2. We hope everyone has a chance to stop by and see for themselves how these windows, hatches and doors are constructed. Arctic Tern cargo access doors are literally double the thickness and strength of typical RV doors, and they have triple weather seals. I'm building a new demo trailer now that will be outfitted with a good sampling of everything. I'll be doing a demo on installation procedures and tricks, so check the show schedule for times.

Look forward to meeting you!
David

Joe917

Explorer
There is KCT and everybody else.
Your big choice is acrylic or glass. Acrylic is lighter, cheaper and scratches (and looks like crap)
If you go glass don't rule out single pane. It is lighter, looks the same as double pane and is cheaper. The main failing is it sweats in below freezing temps. The sweating is only an issue if you plan to spend months living in the snow and even then it can be managed. Heat loss is a non issue as windows take only a small percentage of the insulated envelope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste