U500 camper build - phase 1 almost done

Almost finished with Phase 1 of the U500 camper project. Phase 1 was getting a U500NA and adding the habitat box, subframe, Outbound doors and windows, new fuel tanks (75+55 gallons), running lights, integrated tail lights, new wheels, new XZL Plus tires, and a hydraulic scissor lift for the spare tire and storage box. The habitat box is made by Total Composites and it was constructed by Overland Adventure Trucks in Olympia, WA.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive parking light

For those following me in the planning process: the Outbound products took about 6 months to get. XZL Plus tires have the higher speed rating (70mph) but are very difficult to find in the US. I found a set of new ones at militarytires.org in Ontario Canada and took me months to find those.

Many of you will not like 2 design choices I made: extra height at 12'4" to the top of the brush bars; and no pass-through door to the cab. I'm 6'6" without shoes so I made the interior height 6'9" as I plan to live in this little box full time. Being able to stand up straight was a mandatory thing on my list. I looked at the various raising roof designs but I think those designs have trade offs that wouldn't work for me. Similarly, a pass-through was sort of a no go for me because of the 6'6" thing and also all of the controls in the center of the cab in a U500. I worried that a big ox climbing through little opening over delicate and important controls was just asking for breakage of either me or the controls.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire

So as you can imagine each design choice involves lots of thought and lots of trade off. For example, the dropped stairwell makes it safer to enter and exit but it meant not adding a 3rd fuel tank. Thought about just that one thing for a month - which is more important? I went with not doing a face plant from a 5 foot tall platform.

Another design choice I made was to live with the original 3900cm wheelbase. I thought about having the frame stretched in between the axels. Cost is about $8k if you're ever pondering this choice. A longer wheelbase would have allowed for a longer box. In the end I went with a smaller 13' box and shorter original wheelbase mostly for maneuverability.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

The rear lift has a fold down motorcycle carrier and that will likely be filled with an electric motorcycle. I wanted to keep fuel sources to a minimum so I have only diesel and solar/lithium on board. No gas or propane.

Still have to have CTIS hoses made for the newly added Hutchinson wheels. Not sure where to get that done but still searching. And still have to clean up the old tail lights. So phase 1 is almost done after about 18 months of planning, shopping, and building. The broken supply chain really slowed me down.

Then it's on to Phase 2 which involves me doing a DIY interior buildout of the habitat box. I'm doing the framing in 80/20 aluminum, installing all the systems and appliances, and then luckily an old friend of mine has offered to help. He happens to be a master woodworker of 30+ years with the exact skills needed to finish up the cabinetry. So maybe 5 or 6 months and I can start traveling. Loooong project.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of only two fuel sources. How long is the box?
The box is 13 feet so it will be a little tight but I can manage. The idea behind 2 fuel sources is to firstly keeping things simple and secondly to offer redundant systems across both fuel sources. For example, I'll have electrically heated floors and diesel fired hydronic radiators. Not just back up systems but back up across both fuel types.

I see. Very nice. Can't wait to see this being built. Are you planning on going to Flagstaff?
I'm thinking about it. I'm still researching some of the interior stuff and it would be a good place to ask the manufacturers about some of the things I still don't fully understand.

MogsAndDogs

Yeah, we are hoping we can make a lot of decisions after attending. Mainly: where are we going to get our box made? OAT sounds like a really good option - thanks for the testimonial. I like that they have the big truck experience and fabrication skills. Something the Southern California guys did not have yet. They were focused on slide in pick-up truck boxes.

RoamIt

Nice! As I've been planning mine, it's obvious that it's all about compromises and struggling to prioritize. I concur on the fuel sources, I'm also going with an electric motorcycle and the only fuel will be diesel. To augment that, I'm going heavy on solar and battery capacity.

Have you made any choices about how much solar/amp hrs?

Nice! As I've been planning mine, it's obvious that it's all about compromises and struggling to prioritize. I concur on the fuel sources, I'm also going with an electric motorcycle and the only fuel will be diesel. To augment that, I'm going heavy on solar and battery capacity.

Have you made any choices about how much solar/amp hrs?
Hi Roamit, I've been following your build as well and have learned much. The max I can put on the roof is 1600 watts of solar. Not great but I just don't have the real estate up there. I thought about the slide out solutions where an additional set of panels slides out but I don't think I'll need more. If I do I'll probably just add some ground deploy panels. I have a big alternator and I'm over-doing it a bit with batteries. I'll have 20 kilowatts of lithium in the basement. Might be too much battery but hey batteries are actually pretty cheap when you think about it. My biggest energy clients are 3 door Isotherm refrigerator/freezer/freezer, Cruise N Comfort a/c, and electrically heated wood floors. So that combined with occasional winter conditions camping with minimal solar days requires big batteries.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Wow that turned out VERY nice! Seen it a while ago at Quades shop and was impressed. Thank you for trusting us with your purchase And always happy travels.

I am a huge fan of the dropped delivery van style entry... well done.
Thanks Billiebob, yeah it just seemed safer to me. I'm an old guy and I want to stay in this lifestyle until I'm a really really old guy. A fall could spell the end of my Mog adventures so I sacrificed a possible 3rd fuel tank. Trade-offs on every single decision but that also adds some fun to the project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke