Uberlandwerks Tacoma Build.

Ben Steiner

Adventurer
This will be my first build thread so don't judge me to bad. I have recently sold the huge expo rig and have come to terms with the fact that 4mpg is going to be extremely expensive to circumvent the globe with seeing that I am not inherently wealthy. So I digress and have started the new build. Last weekend I picked up 09 Toyota Tacoma double cab long bed with 50k miles. She is about as close to new as one could ask for aside from some slight hail damage. It has almost been a week now and am awaiting new parts already. Steel expo wheels, ARB Safari snorkel and a ARB BP-51 2" lift to start thing off right. Soon to be added a Norweld flatbed and camper to follow. As well as ARB rear locker and a retest to 4:10s. I am currently debating tires and sizes as well at this point in time. I will post pictures and updates as things progress.

KJP

Hello there, I usually just lurk and rarely post, but couldn't resist here. I suggest you don't follow my error with 4.10s (I'm assuming you have an auto or else you already have 4.10 if manual). I put in 4.10's when I put 265/75/r16 tires on (good fit with 2 inch lift) and truly wish I would have 4.56 now. I am about to spring for a second regear due to the error and am even considering 4.88, but only if I know I'm going to 33 inch tires as opposed to the 32's I have now. At a minimum go 4.30 as I think Yukon has them now. Otherwise, I say at least 4.56 for 32's. (my opinion is based on my experiences with my 2013 Tacoma double cab long bed, ARB front bumper, and some extra doodads that add weight)

Ben Steiner

Adventurer
Hello there, I usually just lurk and rarely post, but couldn't resist here. I suggest you don't follow my error with 4.10s (I'm assuming you have an auto or else you already have 4.10 if manual). I put in 4.10's when I put 265/75/r16 tires on (good fit with 2 inch lift) and truly wish I would have 4.56 now. I am about to spring for a second regear due to the error and am even considering 4.88, but only if I know I'm going to 33 inch tires as opposed to the 32's I have now. At a minimum go 4.30 as I think Yukon has them now. Otherwise, I say at least 4.56 for 32's. (my opinion is based on my experiences with my 2013 Tacoma double cab long bed, ARB front bumper, and some extra doodads that add weight)

With the flatbed & camper weight, I'd suggest you get 4:88s. 4:10 won't be enough.

Awesome! This is all great input and precisely the kind of input I'm looking for.
I'm wanting to go with a tall narrow tire and with the two inch lift still debating if I want/ need to go with a 33" or if the 32" will suffice my needs.

... more to follow.

Ben Steiner

Adventurer
IMG_0293 (1).jpg

Here is the Tacoma DC LB to start the build off right. Parts are already starting to show up. I know its not the Stewart and Stevenson with everyone staring as you drive by but after figuring fuel expense to drive the anticipated voyage ahead I quickly realized that the massive 4mpg just wasn't going to cut it, On top of the cost to barge such a beast. It was fun to build and it will be missed.

...Anyway back to the Here and Now

IMG_0337 (1).JPG
Safari Snorkel... I know I know, nothing really special here...

IMG_0338 (1).JPG
Stock steel wheels soon to have the white powder coat treatment along with the ARB front bumper.

More to follow...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Ben Steiner

Adventurer
I am looking at a habitat style living quarters for the back of the Tacoma. The obvious, easiest solution would be a Norweld flatbed with a Fourwheel popup... But that just seems to be the easy way out and I am not sure I can just be like everyone else just yet. I found the company in Spain, Uro-Camper that I really like there design but cannot reach them to save my life. I am debating on building my own flatbed and camper as well. I know the Tacoma have a pretty light load limit so that seems to be the main factor to take in to consideration at this point.
Anyone doing anything like this in the states? If not Do you think there would be a market?
Uro-camper.jpg

forsakenfuture

Explorer
I think you should of got a Jeep with an Ursa Minor top.:ylsmoke:

Main Line Overland has been doing interesting things with campers on Toyotas.

phsycle

Adventurer
I am looking at a habitat style living quarters for the back of the Tacoma. The obvious, easiest solution would be a Norweld flatbed with a Fourwheel popup... But that just seems to be the easy way out and I am not sure I can just be like everyone else just yet. I found the company in Spain, Uro-Camper that I really like there design but cannot reach them to save my life. I am debating on building my own flatbed and camper as well. I know the Tacoma have a pretty light load limit so that seems to be the main factor to take in to consideration at this point.
Anyone doing anything like this in the states? If not Do you think there would be a market?
View attachment 434854

Check the payload sticker in the door jamb. Guaranteed you're right at 1,000 lbs (or so). That's not a lot. If you're thinking world travel, get started in another country and buy a Hilux. Or the Landcruiser you have pictured.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Hey Ben,

I'll agree with above. I have a similar platform to you, a Nissan Frontier, and the weight limit is low, even before you start adding stuff. You're going to want to figure out a solution that's as light as you can make it. Something like the AT Overland Habitat. The FWC/Flatbed is a really good option in my opinion if you're looking for something 100% enclosed.

I think the best of both worlds would be something along the lines of the Alu-Cab Khaya, or the custom camper Jon Burtt recently got for his Tacoma. That looks the business.

Also, you're local to me. I'm on the Billings west end. I think I've seen that big camper down in Alkali Creek?

Ben Steiner

Adventurer
Yes, I did live in Billings, I recently relocated for a short time down to Casper Wy. The gentlemen that bought the Stewart lives in Coalstrip so you may still see it around.

Hey Ben,

I'll agree with above. I have a similar platform to you, a Nissan Frontier, and the weight limit is low, even before you start adding stuff. You're going to want to figure out a solution that's as light as you can make it. Something like the AT Overland Habitat. The FWC/Flatbed is a really good option in my opinion if you're looking for something 100% enclosed.

I think the best of both worlds would be something along the lines of the Alu-Cab Khaya, or the custom camper Jon Burtt recently got for his Tacoma. That looks the business.

Also, you're local to me. I'm on the Billings west end. I think I've seen that big camper down in Alkali Creek?

Ben Steiner

Adventurer
Here are a couple updates. Install of the ARB Safari Snorkel, Nothing like cutting a couple really big holes in a perfectly good fender. nothing to spectacular, but its forward progress.
I hear word there is something at home waiting... Stay tuned :)

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

Anybody with insight as to how to rotate these pictures?

Ben Steiner

Adventurer
Last night when I arrived home this was awaiting our return. It was begging to be thrown on last night.
The new ARB BP-51 with remote reservoir. Fully adjustable. with the accompanying rear leaf pack.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a4.jpg

a6.jpg

a8.jpg

a9.jpg

sertguy

Observer
XP V2 Compact. The best quality I've seen. If you got the cash.
451fd07b6a476eb5c0e7bc79c66ebc2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier