Ujoint Offroad Colorado van build thread!

rpfeifer303

@Baker Garage - we did a build out of our low, low mileage 2013 Express AWD and really been eyeing Boulder Offroad 6in kit and thought about pulling the trigger, but based on your post perhaps we should reconsider?
We use it just to commute back from Denver to ski resorts and back. Limited to 0 off-roading, unless going on some forest road to find dispersed camping. Would you do it?
There are options for just a 2.5-3 inch lift with torsion keys and replacement springs. Which one would you recommend?

Is there a way to "tighten up" the steering?

Last big project at baker for me was a 6" boulder offroad kit, some 35" ko2s, 4.56 regear and rear oxlocker on a awd express
Before!

Tearing down.

Crusty front diff ready for a rebuild

As soon as I started bolting the brackets from the kit on the van, I knew I was in trouble. Nothing fit right, almost none of the holes lined up, none of the brackets for the lower control arms lined up. I had to use my hydraulic power pack to spread the brackets open so I could get the control arms in and it still wasn't enough. I wound up having to flap wheel the control arm bushings down to get them in place. Here's 2 pics to illustrate the issues I had. There were many more, but these are the only 2 I bothered to take pics of.

Anyways, Im happy with the outcome. Looks tough! The drivability leaves some to be desired, but I suppose that should be expected with a drop bracket lift kit. My main issue is that the lever arm on the new lift knuckle that the tie rod attaches to is very short and it super quickens the steering ratio to the point that it makes it kinda hard to keep in a straight line.

So thats it for me at Baker! Next update will be on the build out of the new shop!! Already have some really cool projects in the pipeline, and hopefully some other really cool stuff to announce!
[/QUOTE]

UjointoffroadCO

Do you know if that’s a 24” Fiberine high top? You don’t see them on RBs often and I always wondered if the proportions would look right. But that looks really good!
I'm pretty sure its not a fiberine top. It used to be a red cross van, So the install wasn't great (self tapping screws), and it seemed super super thin and flimsy. I'd say 24" is a safe bet on height though.

UjointoffroadCO

Full steam ahead at the new shop! Had this super clean retired air force v10 van drop off for a 2wd lift, high top and OX locker from california

Knocked out a ESBAR gas heater install and Aluminess bike carrier on a awd transit also

Another AWD transit in for a vancompass lift kit

Fords!

MG van in the shop again getting a new steering gear, Ujoint OBA kit, 2 more steering stabilizers, and some small maintenance items

Little one off project mounting a tank for a Chinese Diesel heater on a UJOINT van I built a while back

More coming soon!

CaptainBuilt

Very nice work!

You have me wondering if a diesel heater will fit under the E-Series seat..... I'm building a box truck and not opening the cab to the box. But it would be cool just to mount the heater under the pass seat and then run the hose into the box.

UjointoffroadCO

Very nice work!

You have me wondering if a diesel heater will fit under the E-Series seat..... I'm building a box truck and not opening the cab to the box. But it would be cool just to mount the heater under the pass seat and then run the hose into the box.
I think it would. They fit really nice under the transit and sprinter seats

iggi

Ian
I just replaced my seat base on the weekend with a swivel and haven't yet reinstalled my 5K Diesel heater. So here ya go.
This is from a 2008, E350, Cab and Chassis.

Econoline seat base 2008 - 1.jpgeconoline seat base 2008 - 2.jpgeconoline seat base 2008 - 3.jpg

Very nice work!

UjointoffroadCO

Little more progress from around the shop> Picked up a old jalopy CAT forklift for a song. Took a little work to get it going, but it does the job!

I bought two of these husky work benches from home depot, one to use as my desk, the other to use in the shop. I wanted to make it modular so I can use it to build axles on and then take the stabds off to just use it for general work. The bench top axle stands came from Texas metal works. I put some threaded inserts on the bench top, and then riv-nuts on the back for when the stands are being stored. I also upgraded the casters to ones with ball bearings and much harder wheels.

Got the roof cut off this EB van also getting ready for a high top

Thats all for now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles