UJOR Build Thread

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
OK, I'm trying to figure out the door set up. I see a portal on the passanger side when it's in the down position, but what's it look like in the up position ?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
15-17mpg, pretty good. I wonder what it'll be with the XP on top. Probably minimal decrease.
Looks awesome, great work!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
V4 got 17 mpg's from Reno to Vegas, pretty good! Better than I expected and I was in a towing tune the whole time. Here are some interior pics, more to come next week once we get it out in its natural element. Right now its covered in rubber from all of the tire hooning ALL DAY long right next to us!

561831_503147133037853_2082677824_n.jpg

10444_503314753021091_1814449170_n.jpg

60379_503314949687738_854980274_n.jpg

grimbo

Explorer
A lot roomier than I imagined it to be.

A dual cab version with sleeping for four would suit my needs nicely

skibum315

Explorer
A dual cab version with sleeping for four would suit my needs nicely
Yup, mine too ... does that rear dinette convert to a bed? Seems like that'd get you the sleeping taken care of pretty easily.

Now for the double cab; maybe start with a barn-door model body, and section it just aft of the front half of the side door ... use the latching part of the rear half of the side door (welded in place) and a cap/closeout similar to V4. Unless you really felt a street-side (for those of us that drive on the right - sorry grimbo) rear door was needed, you could call it good there (makes it sound so easy ... :snorkel:). The other alternative could be to take the rear half (b-pillar back) of a similar vintage F-Series and graft it onto a cutaway van ... don't know how/if the body sizes (cross-sections) would match up, though.

On another note entirely, how easily does the XP Camper go on and off of the flatbed? Would it be feasible to consider leaving the camper at a basecamp and exploring with the truck/van (van-truck ... tran, dunno); or is it more the kind of thing that once it's on you'd want to leave it for a full season of camping?

kjp1969

Explorer
Now for the double cab; maybe start with a barn-door model body, and section it just aft of the front half of the side door ... use the latching part of the rear half of the side door (welded in place) and a cap/closeout similar to V4. Unless you really felt a street-side (for those of us that drive on the right - sorry grimbo) rear door was needed, you could call it good there (makes it sound so easy ... :snorkel:). The other alternative could be to take the rear half (b-pillar back) of a similar vintage F-Series and graft it onto a cutaway van ... don't know how/if the body sizes (cross-sections) would match up, though.

I like that idea too. If the spare tire was moved to the rear, there looks like almost enough room to make that 3 door version without increasing the rear overhang. There are tons of truck and van seat arrangements that would allow 6 or even 7 passengers. Maybe even a pickup truck sliding window to allow pass-thru to the XP?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
A 3rd (or 4th) door will require major fabrication, adding $$ to an already costly cab back. Sure its possible, anything is if you have the $$!! As far as a pass thru, its not worth it in my opinion. Since the van cab is much taller than a truck, the pass thru will become more of a crawl thru for small people. You can't be in the camper while moving anyway, and you would loose valuable storage and water tank real estate. The pro's don't out weigh the cons.

The camper comes off pretty easy. 4 bolts and you slide the camper jacks into the sub frame and pick it up.

BPage

Adventurer
Specification

I don't know if I missed it... but can someone post the final dimensions? Height, Width, Length, break over angles, etc…
And cost invested to build?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
For a DoKa setup, why not just start with an F350 crew-cab, remove the bed, get a custom aluminum deck, put the XP on and go?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne