UJOR Build Thread

patoz

Expedition Leader
Manual t-case definitely has that advantage Pat. However, for the vans, it's a bit in the way if you want to install a driver side swivel. So going with the elec NV273 t-case solves the swivel, but then you lose the "feel."

Hope all is well down in FL!

Yep, doing OK. Our weather gods can't decide if it's winter or summer, because some days we're having to run the heat and the A/C all in the same 24 hr. period. It plays hell with my sinuses too! :confused:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Adding a stand alone VSS is less than ideal and files into the category of adding unnecessary complication. aka, oh s&%# this axle isn't going to work. I know because I've received emails about this exact subject.

MG isn't adding a stand-alone VSS.
As I mentioned above, the '11+ rear axle does work, at least with MG's coil kit.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The swivel seat brackets that are available here on this forum WILL clear the NV271 t-case lever with the U-JOINT conversion. Checked on that before ordering either and both worked together. Check the swivel seat thread.

All depends what seat, what mount, what swivel, and where the shifter is. I know with VANdiana(UJOR w/ NV271) that with both '11 cloth Sienna's and '15 leather recliner Sienna's, I couldn't swivel the driver side using any available swivel.
What seats do you have with your setup?

Yep, doing OK. Our weather gods can't decide if it's winter or summer, because some days we're having to run the heat and the A/C all in the same 24 hr. period. It plays hell with my sinuses too! :confused:

Heat and a/c in the same 24hrs? Crazy! Take care Pat.

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
All depends what seat, what mount, what swivel, and where the shifter is. I know with VANdiana(UJOR w/ NV271) that with both '11 cloth Sienna's and '15 leather recliner Sienna's, I couldn't swivel the driver side using any available swivel.
What seats do you have with your setup?

I have the stock Ford seats. Have not swapped it out yet and don't plan to as it works for me and I cannot push it back any further than stock due to being in a bus.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

"Stand-alone"
princess-bride-meme.jpg

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...0-Satisfaction-Guaranteed-MG-Coil-Build/page9
Just one of many ways...

I have the stock Ford seats. Have not swapped it out yet and don't plan to as it works for me and I cannot push it back any further than stock due to being in a bus.

Ah gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
SoCal V10 progress! We've been doing a bunch of work inside, wiring, Dynamat, mirrors, etc. Got teh rack partially wired today so it went on. Full length, full flooring, 200w solar, 40" Rigid combo up front, 5 total 6" diffused, camera, still needs the solar shower and awning. Then wiring thru the roof! Mighty fine rack.

29064620_1868142799871606_2128463434671010113_o.jpg

28700840_1868151383204081_2052460433400392087_o.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
As a customer who paid over $23k in ujoint gear, sadly I would agree with that statement. Though I'm not sure I'd call it a talent.

Truthfully I was blown away by the amount emails and PMs from this site from frustrated and dissappointed ujoint van owners once I started posting info about my van build. The unfortunate part is that few people post publicly (at least on this forum) about the problems because Chris openly bashes the people who don't agree with him. I've typed lengthy posts of my issues and frustrations dozens of times and ended up deleting them because I didn't feel it was professional. Some others have not posted because they have so much money into their rigs and planned to sell them shortly, and didn't want to taint the perceived reputation and effect resale.

Honestly if a VSS is too much to handle you should take your “RSC complaint” off the market because your **** doesn't work like it should. The ONLY way to drive my van safely was to completely disable RSC via a third party tuner which left a Christmas tree of warning lights and a bunch of loud tones to accompany them. Chris's response “is the steering wheel straight and alignment good?” and “Call a tuner.” Multiple self alignments and professional alignments could not fix the problems of a longer than stock pitman arm. So why was I convinced that I needed that fancy front axle? And why, when I asked about a full custom front axle and driveline issues, could Chris not honestly tell me that the front driveline would be well over 5 degrees at the pinion causing vibration issues? That's a damn good reason for a custom axle on an expensive rig. Or the claim of nearly 5 degrees of caster when it's really only 3.8. Driving over 45mph with hubs engaged will result in strong vibration that will eventually cause damage.

I rode in V7 and I felt the rear driveline vibrations right off the bat. I asked him if he used pinion angle shims for the rear and he seemed clueless. The response was that's a big lifted van it's going to have vibrations. I forget the exact number but my rear axle had 6-7 degrees differnce between the pinion and driveline which is not considered acceptable by driveline shops for a dual cardan shaft. Custom shims fixed that issue but shouldn't that be common knowledge? Oh by the way he had RSC disabled on V7 and claimed it was so he could drive it really aggressively. Should have been a red flag. I couldn't make a slow left turn from a dead stop without RSC acting up and driving windy roads was straight up dangerous.

My expensive dynatrac locking hubs had no grease and soon failed to engage and disengage. No torque specs were provided with the kit for any steering or suspension. No provision for front bump stops. The aluminum fuel tank doesn't have near the capacity advertised. And while the website claimed it would ship with everything needed to relocate the evap canister it did not. Chris's response “they are all different so I don't include stuff for it”.

Chris does some things well. The main reason I went with ujoint in the first place was because everything appeared to be well organized in “kits” with all hardware and everything ready to go. I could look at everything on the website. A one stop shop. The full van overhauls with paint and everything look amazing. Once I finally got issues worked out my van drove great (although not with hubs locked above 45mph). I was afraid to get aggressive with it with no front bump stops though. And the lights and chimes drove me nuts.

If I was building a lower budget conversion on a non rsc van I probably wouldn't have an issue with ujoint's stuff. But the dishonestly and lack of clarity is enough to sour me.

Bottom line, just because you don't see a lot of in depth customer complaints doesn't mean you should always drink the cool aid. Understand the reasoning why someone who dumped tens of thousands of dollars into a van may not want to come out and post their problems for everyone to see. Hell if Chris would have just been honest and more knowledgeable up front I probably would not have had as much reason to be upset.

---I don't "publicly bash" any customers, just call out and state facts/misinformation, usually from people that aren't customers.

---If I get information about an issue I do everything I can to resolve it. Always have, always will. Some people are never satisfied though, they go from rig to rig because they're never happy. I can't control that. We're here to build vans and sell parts.

---Our kit is designed to use the 99-04 F series axle so DIY guys can source their own axle with no mods. Custom axle housings like Dynatrac add complication and cost (u-bolt plates, sway bar, steering, trac bar, etc) I've sold over 500 kits and this is the 1st complaint about front driveline vibrations at speed. I'm not sure why you're driving that fast in 4wd?

---Don't know what you mean by "RSC Complaint"? If you have an over sensitive RSC system the best solution is to go back to the stock pitman arm. Every customer that I know of with an over achieving RSC system has been told to do this.

---RSC isn't disabled on V7 because it never had RSC.

---The hubs should have been assembled per the Dynatrac instructions, will have to investigate that. Bump stops are super easy if you want to add them. The aluminum tank has a 35.5g capacity. I tell everyone that we only send the evap relocation bracket alone with no hoses/etc, there are many differences so making a "kit" isn't worth the time & effort. Its all basic stuff available at any parts store.

You say that I wasn't honest, thats ridiculous.

Install a stock pitman arm and see how your RSC acts, best of luck selling the van and your next project.

01fordvan

OK I have to say I don't post to these threads but I do enjoy reading them. If Chris's kits are that bad how come he's been selling them for so many years and nobody's complaining? This thread has become a pissing match between a couple of people. Let's get back to talking about building vans. Thank you Carl

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
OK I have to say I don't post to these threads but I do enjoy reading them. If Chris's kits are that bad how come he's been selling them for so many years and nobody's complaining? This thread has become a pissing match between a couple of people. Let's get back to talking about building vans. Thank you Carl

Yes, please. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles