Ultimate Adventure Rider Boots

Scott Brady

Founder
Ok, now that we have identified several of the best Helmets, I am interested in reviewing the best boots.

I have spent years riding with motocross boots, but I have found several shortcoming with adventure riding, principally that I need to walk moderate distances to either explore an off-trail area, walk from a parking spot to a coffee shop or place to eat. So some ankle articulation is important. I also believe that day-long comfort is important too. I am also concerned with all-weather performance.

These BMW Santiagos look nice.
Boots_Santiango.jpg

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
My Sidi Discovery boots have been bombproof for several years...lots of dirt, rocks, hiking, submerging in rivers etc. All day comfortable.

SIDI%20Discovery%20Small.jpg

I'm about to pick up a pair of Sidi Crossfire TAs....for a bit more ankle protection on rides.

sidi-06-crossfire-TA.jpg

I'll keep the Discovery boots for road rides.

-H-

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I couldn't recommend these more. Ditch the toe caps. They're really comfy, and will hold up to just about any punishment you can dish out. I do carry an extra nylon/plastic strap, just in case one breaks. Replacement parts are easy to get, and they are resoleable.

-H-

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I wear Sidi Discoverys. Comfy. Dry feet while riding through typical SoAZ monsoons, but they get on the warm side in the summer (not horrible...considering what you are wearing). They break in pretty fast too. It took about 2 weeks of wearing them around the house for 30 minutes every day or two, plus a couple rides, to get the ankle broken in enough to be reasonably comfortable while walking around. They do not offer the best ankle protection though...which is the trade off for "walking around" comfort.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Discovery Rain: Waterproof
discoveryrain_718_detail.jpg
Most waterproof boots use a waterproof, breathable laminant like Gore Tex in the inner layers. Two things about that are no bueno. Uno - the laminant is often smuthered under multiple layers of leather and fabric so it no longer breaths as it should and your feet boil. Dos - That liminant is delicate and after a few months of use, dirt and debris wear holes in the laminant. Actually, the seams tend to destroy the laminant as well. There goes the waterproofing.

If I were on a big machine like a 950, I might tend to go with something like the Sidi boots. When I tour, I love nothing more than an opportunity to free the dogs and put on some flip flops for a few minutes.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I really looked at the Oxtar/Infinity boots prior to purchasing my Discoveries, and felt that I wanted a "bit" more protection. I have come to really like the hard plastic guards on the Discos...especially the shin guards, which have kept my lower legs from really being beat up by rocks, birds (yes...) and have even supported a pannier or two (hate it when that happens).

I did get mine at newenough.com

-H-

dirtysouth

Adventurer
+1 for the Discoveries. If you plan on doing any off road at all, the more protection you can get is the way to go. A riding buddy of mine over on ADV, got his leg broke when the guy in front of him on a thumper slung a rock at his shin and he was wearing street boots. I had my discoveries for 4 years and other than the smell :D , they were awesome. Like Hltopper said, take the metal end caps off so when you walk, it doesn't sound like you're tap dancing.

KMR

Adventurer
While we're on the subject, all these boots are great, but what boot has a wide enough foot box to fit my square toes? Seems that the only option is to go the mail order route, finding regular shoes to fit my feet is hard enough, let alone riding boots. I'm getting tired of returning boots.
Thanks for any help.
And Scott, the moto threads have been fun as of late.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Scott,

Do you have wide feet? Mine are wide/flat and BMW boots fit a bit more narrow. The BMW boots I have are street bias, but I had to break them in for weeks to stretch them out enough to be comfy.

Something to consider...

Pete

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
KMR said:
While we're on the subject, all these boots are great, but what boot has a wide enough foot box to fit my square toes? Seems that the only option is to go the mail order route, finding regular shoes to fit my feet is hard enough, let alone riding boots. I'm getting tired of returning boots.
Thanks for any help.
And Scott, the moto threads have been fun as of late.

I probably should read through all the treads before posting :)

Like I mentioned above, from my experience BMW boots fit narrow.

Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94