ultra compact slide in / sleeper

Gunner207

Observer
I did a sketch in SketchUp and drawing the individual peices in AutoCAD helps determine what peices get grouped together on each 4x8 sheet, but then it is just measure and cut. As the project moves along peices are measured to fit rather than cut off the cut list. "Tough" parts like the front top triangles are traced from inside right onto a big enough scrap and then cut to fit.

The biggest challenge is in trusting yourself while you gain some experience and remembering that there really are very few mistakes that can't be fixed; in fact I haven't found one yet.

rruff

Explorer
Interesting. So you flipped your camper around so that the epoxy would be held in place with gravity? Did you use a thickener?

Gunner207

Observer
No gravity tricks. The epoxy is West Systems six-10. Comes out of a tube through a mixing nozzle, pre thickened, and it stays in place even on overhead surfaces.

There is one layer of fiberglass tape on the outside seams. It will get four or five coats of interprotect epoxy barrier coat before final paint. The barrier coat goes on with a roller, can be recounted in six hours and requires no sanding between coats.

Final prep will be hand sanding with 180 grit on a long board. Wash it down with a mild solution of ammonia and water and then paint.

The seam fiberglass is reinforcement more than abrasion resistance.

Gunner207

Observer
Things are about to get crazy around here........ two weeks from today I head south with the finished camper in the truck. Can you say "Late nights and early mornings "?

ripperj

Explorer
Nice, you will definitely have a busy two weeks (says the guy who has been building his Alaskan for over two years)

Sent from my Passport

Gunner207

Observer
IMG_20170227_173247.jpg

Simple "trick" for making radius corners - use a thick disc of sandpaper, in this case 40 grit 150mm (6 inch) disc. The sandpaper keeps it from slipping

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles