Ultragauge weird reading

preacherman

Explorer
Ok here is my problem. I just got an Ultragauge for my 1996 Discovery with the 4.0. It keeps giving me the reading that one of my O2 sensors it measuring over 8,000 degrees. (The alarms goes off at 2011 deg). It says that as soon as I turn the car on.

Since I highly doubt the sensor is measuring 8000 deg can I assume my O2 sensor is bad or should I start somewhere else? BTW there are no check engine lights on the dash and it seems to be running fine. I have not run a full tank of gas through it yet so I have no idea where the mpg is.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wuntenn

Adventurer
I've had a weird set of symptoms with a 110 (1989) with tacho 'wandering' up and down, EGT gauge reading waaaay high temp dropping to ridiculously low temps, battery charging lights off and on etc etc - so I checked all earths, wiring to alternator, fuses and all the rest, all of which were fine, but without fixing the problem, then I renewed the main battery and so far it seems to resolved the issue. (touching wood!). Is your battery ok?

preacherman

Explorer
I checked that and it seems good. I dug deeper into the ECM using some software and it looks more and more like a bad sensor. The O2 sensors are heated and I think it is shorting out. Looking at the sensor it looks original so I ordered two last night. My plan if to replace both upstream O2's, the one that appears bad and it's twin. I am hoping this fixes the problem. I also found a damaged plug wire that was sparking over to the engine block (that explains the radio noise) and ordered a news set of those as well. I will let ya know. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcabpilot

Observer
Try another scanner. I use Torque on my phone. At least then you'll isolate it between your truck and the Ultragauge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior