Unicat vs Action Mobil.

I am not sure I follow what you are saying about full time 4x4 being better than selectable 4x4. Can you please elaborate on that as well?

Cheers

It's definitely better if you drive on ice or even wet surfaces like icy tarmac. Simply locking the center diff switches it into "selectable" 4WD.

Charlie

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Have you heard things the rest of us have not? I have never heard anyone complain about unicat. Please do share...

Charliearrons,

I am not sure I follow what you are saying about full time 4x4 being better than selectable 4x4. Can you please elaborate on that as well?

Cheers

From a Benzworld post:

Without beating around the bush, Tom Ritter and the folks from UNICAT are crooks.

Why? Well, how about taking substantial deposits from customers or running up bills with vendors, only to file bankruptcy shortly thereafter.

CROOKS!

They are now reorganized and taking people's money again.

Sell them your UNIMOG, but make sure you have money wired to your account first.

I have heard the same elsewhere, they took a bunch of deposits, went under, then opened back up for business

As for Full Time Four Wheel Drive (Or AWD for that Matter) vs Part time Four Wheel Drive, the nice thing about full time is you don't have to activate it. Say your driving on the road and hit a patch of black ice, the sensors in the vehicles AWD or FT4WD system will react within milliseconds, and send power to the appropriate wheel, or brake the appropriate wheel. I you were in a part time four wheel drive, with the 4wd off, by the time you reached up/down to hit the 4wd button/pull the lever, your already in the ditch or oncoming traffic. For a daily driver or if most of your traveling is on road, AWD or Full time 4wd makes more sense.

Likewise if your driving on smooth pavement, the full time system will keep the components from binding up and damaging themselves. Unlike a true 4wd, if you left it locked in 4wd all the time, you'd end up breaking or wearing components.

The downsides to Full time or AWD (different systems, and within each manufacture, there are different systems, for instance not all quattro systems are the same, as not all subaru systems are the same) is generally worse fuel economy, lack of low range (on most AWD) and higher wear and tear, as the system is engaged all the time. Your tires for instance might need rotated with greater frequency, fluids changed more often, ect. But with modern vehicles, that's becoming less and less a concern. There's also more complexity when something goes wrong, wheel speed sensors, computer modules, ect. And more of a chance of the vesicle being stuck in "limp" mode in event of a failure.

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Thanks Gents.

I have a full time 4wd vehicle, with low range, and I rather like it a lot, but I also know that I go through tires faster than I would like, and I tend to go through a lot more fuel than I would like. Other than that I really do enjoy not having to shift into 4wd when the time comes that it is needed, and MUCH more importantly than that I like that my wife does not have to do it. She never confidence to know when it would be good to have it on, or not, and therefore the vehicle makes the choice for her, which for me is safer for my family. (which is not meant as an insult to my wife, she is rather brilliant in fact. :) )

The fulltime 4wd in MANs and U500s is just a lockable (by driver
input) center diff. No computer control.
In 2006 Unicat went through an insolvency. Some creditors are very
angry at them. They have provided me excellent post sales
service.

Charlie

George

complanis UNICAT

I heard some complains about unicat. At beginning of the business everything is fine und it is a pleasure to deal with this guys (Söllner and Ritter). But in the final phase there are a lot of dicussion about payment, failure, quality und the time of finish the vehicle to 100%.
On the other hand they are still in financial trouble. You should check ther balance sheet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94