Unimog Camper Box Design

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a Mercedes Unimog U2150 L38 Camper. The camper was originally built by Atkinson who looked over the whole vehicle, constructed the camper box and put in the essentials such as a Shower, Toilet, Kitchen, Lighting etc and many other comforts. I am the second owner of the vehicle after this work has been done. The previous owner got the vehicle to about 80%-85% completion and all that is left is to do is just cosmetic stuff.

I have been looking over the camper and saw that there are large timber beams running the length of the camper, and was wondering why these would used. From other designs I have seen the Camper box does not incorporate these timber beams

Is anyone able to help me understand why they do this?

I'll add some pictures soon to add some more context

nathane

Congratulations on you new purchase. I have seen this build, you've got a nice truck. If you were up in Bentham recently you might have seen my 1550l37 just back from the paint shop ?. I'm building my own box but Simon and team are doing all the prep work on my chassis and I have to say they are doing a really nice job.

IMG_4385.JPG

I believe that the wood beams are used to lift the box floor level above the subframe to allow a fork lift to lift the box off the back. I'm sure Simon will confirm if you ask him.

That looks brilliant, are you documenting the build process? Would be very interested to see how it’s all coming along.

ok great thanks for the explanation, just thought it was a bit odd. Thanks for clearing that up

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior