Unimog Camper - construction never stops :)

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Hello all - I have just come across this forum and would like to introduce myself.

I have a Unimog U1250 which started life as a Road-Railer for the New South Wales railways fixing their overhead wires and doing various track work.

I plan to turn it into an expedition vehicle for firstly travelling around Australia, then shipping it to Singapore and driving up through SE asia and China to Magadan in Russian, then across to Europe, and hopefully down through africa to South Africa before shipping it back to Australia.

The first photo show what it looked like when I got it home from the auction, the second what it will look like in a few months time and the third what it looks like now.

I'm currently working on the interior layout and would love to hear from other Mog (and other similar camper) owners about their layout, what they like, what they would change etc.

Clicked on my first post, and both my wife and I had a laugh about the comment - "....what it will look like in a few month time" little did I know it would be five more years

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Our diesel stove decided not to work on our last trip. From what I can tell, the main control board is not working. The parts along are over $1000 AUD, and that's if it is just the main board.

We decided to switch over to an induction cooktop. It was a bit more complicated than just plugging in the new stove, as our inverter is only good for 1500W, and this stove needs something around the 3000W mark. So I bought a new inverter, a 3000W Renogy one, which was only $400, and the Empava cooktop was $199. I had to rewire a lot of the heavy current wiring as this inverter can draw some serious current - around 250A. I used 70mm2 cable, with the earth wire connected directly to the earth shunt, and positive connected to the main joint between front and rear battery banks. The inverter wiring is protected with a 250A circuit breaker, which should be more than adequate to protect 70mm2 cable,

2022-11-13 17.29.07.jpg

The induction stove can boil 750ml of water in about 5 minutes, and draws 80-120A. With both plates on maximum, it draws 180-200A, some serious current.

The inverter has a remote start unit, and I added a 120mm fan and some vents to force some air around the inverter and the cooktop. Whilst I was modifying the panel I added another USB charger as well, as you can never have enough.

2022-11-13 17.29.35.jpg

The lid for the old cooktop still fits nicely. It will protect the stove whilst we travel and from dropping things on it.
2022-11-13 17.30.16.jpg

I too put in an Empava, only 1800w. But I seem to recall that testing it in my house it boiled 2L in 5-6 minutes. I was happy to remove the 2x30 lb propane bottles (50kg total), making more room for rear storage. Replaced all 5 123 or 130w solar panels with new 190s, upgraded solar charging wiring a bit.
I hope Empava prove reliable for us.
If not, we’ll have to switch to marine units:

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
I hope Empava prove reliable for us.
If not, we’ll have to switch to marine units:
I used a GN Espace cooker in my last truck and it was a great piece of kit. They do induction hobs too now, and I'm sure they'll be equally good.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
We had a long weekend testing the new cook top - and it works great.

Our battery monitor can display the charging/discharging cycles. This is a typical meal, lamb chops frying in one pan, then a bean mix, and 750ml of water in the other plate at the same time, and this is the power usage.

2022-11-19 19.49.59.png

Running the fridge and freezer overnight, charging laptops and cameras etc, and we went from 84% t0 73%, then coffee, bacon, eggs and toast, and second coffee, and we were down to around 64%. .

2022-11-21 08.09.41.png

This would be a typical day of charging whilst driving - we had a couple of stops on the way, and parked in the shade - hence next to no solar charging. Didn't take long to get the batteries back up to 95% ( that's the maximum it will get from the alternator set at 14.2V,) solar takes it up to 14.3V before it goes into float mode. I'll be replacing the alternator cable with some 70mm2 cable, up from the 50mm2 cable to see how that helps, as the 250A alteranator seldom gets over 150A of charge going into the batteries, but I guess it is running all the extra stuff in the truck like the light, fans, a/c etc.

2022-11-21 08.12.45.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bbdude190