Unimogadventures - Our build and travel thread

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Hello all - I have just come across this forum and would like to introduce myself.

I have a Unimog U1250 which started life as a Road-Railer for the New South Wales railways fixing their overhead wires and doing various track work.

I plan to turn it into an expedition vehicle for firstly travelling around Australia, then shipping it to Singapore and driving up through SE asia and China to Magadan in Russian, then across to Europe, and hopefully down through africa to South Africa before shipping it back to Australia.

The first photo show what it looked like when I got it home from the auction, the second what it will look like in a few months time and the third what it looks like now.

I'm currently working on the interior layout and would love to hear from other Mog (and other similar camper) owners about their layout, what they like, what they would change etc.

Attachments

• Unimog---Day-one----5-2.jpg
    Unimog---Day-one----5-2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 9,132
  • 297.jpg
    297.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 9,549
  • PICT2174.jpg
    PICT2174.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,523

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Thanks for that Chip - I've seen those website - both were inspirational in choosing a Mog as base vehicle for what I wanted to do.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Hello all - I have just come across this forum and would like to introduce myself.

I have a Unimog U1250 which started life as a Road-Railer for the New South Wales railways fixing their overhead wires and doing various track work.

I plan to turn it into an expedition vehicle for firstly travelling around Australia, then shipping it to Singapore and driving up through SE asia and China to Magadan in Russian, then across to Europe, and hopefully down through africa to South Africa before shipping it back to Australia.

The first photo show what it looked like when I got it home from the auction, the second what it will look like in a few months time and the third what it looks like now.

I'm currently working on the interior layout and would love to hear from other Mog (and other similar camper) owners about their layout, what they like, what they would change etc.

Welcome Ian!
Looks like you still have quite a bit of work left :ylsmoke:
Funny that you show a picture of that finished Unimog. That one is based here in Victoria BC, Canada! Had a chat with the owner a while back and also got a tour after I told him that I worked for www.unicat.net :bike_rider:
It's a very nice mog! I think they are currently on a LONG trip.

Anyhow, have fun and please post lot's of pics!:coffeedrink:
Cheers
Andreas

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Hi andreas

Welcome Ian!
Looks like you still have quite a bit of work left :ylsmoke:
Funny that you show a picture of that finished Unimog. That one is based here in Victoria BC, Canada! Had a chat with the owner a while back and also got a tour after I told him that I worked for www.unicat.net :bike_rider:
It's a very nice mog! I think they are currently on a LONG trip.

Anyhow, have fun and please post lot's of pics!:coffeedrink:
Cheers
Andreas

Hi Andreas - I've been trying to contact the owners of that Camper - seems like they have disappeared into the never-never. I would love to see some more photos particularly the interior layout.

haven

Expedition Leader
Amerigo is the name that the folks at Unicat Americas have given to vehicles based on the semi-custom Unicat Terracross cabin.

To my knowledge, three Amerigo vehicles have been built: One on an International 7300 chassis, one on an International MXT chassis, and one on a Unimog U500 chassis. The latter is owned by Charlie Aarons, an active member of this group.

I'm sure that Unicat Americas would be happy to build an Amerigo model using a different 4x4 chassis. For example, a Ford F550 cab-chassis can be ordered with 19,000 lbs carrying capacity, enough for a small Terracross cabin.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Welcome to the group Iain,

You might as well save yourself the future hassles by building your box with standing room from the get-go.

Kind regards

Joaquin (the un-sharing one)

I agree that standing room is a must - My plan is to have a 1950mm internal height in the main walking part of the camper - I plan to copy the BC Camper mog right down to the paint scheme :) - it should look just like in the photo excet for the bigger fuel tanks, bull bar and front and rear winches.

Thanks for sharing information about your Mog and your plans, Iain.

FWIW, the pictures of my large Unimog 416 ex-rail camper are available on the web at:

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/mhiscox01/CamperMogAssortment.

The pictures will give a good idea of the layout and equipment, and the photos have captions with explanations of what you're looking at.

Good luck,

Mike

Thanks for that Mike - are you happy with your layout - is there anything you would change if you had to do it all again?

Last edited:

Victorian

If I would have to do it, I would create a lift roof!

Like this one: http://unicat.net/de/pics/BS6KD-2.html

Makes it way easier to fit into a shipping container, better fuel economy, no exposed windows while driving (scratches and stone throwing kids) and better while offroading in dense forests or narrow streets (with balconies!).

Just a thought!

Andreas

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for that Mike - are you happy with your layout - is there anything you would change if you had to do it all again?

Camper Mog's layout was great, offering the flexibility for anywhere from 1-4 people. I'd have broadened the front bunks a little, and added maybe two inches width to the bathroom. I would not have changed anything about the rear area, as it worked out very well. (Except that the two side windows at the rear were going to be replaced with opening ones.)

All in all, I think the camper had one of the great layouts ever done. Unfortunately, much of this is because it is relatively huge and has the near-unique advantage of a walk-through cab-to-cabin passthrough.

BTW, while Victorian is right about how sweet a lifting roof would be, on a cabin the size of Camper Mog, it's quite a challenge. Thomas Ritter told me many years ago that the increment for a lifting roof Unicat cabin over an otherwise-identical fixed roof cabin was $50,000, a figure which implies considerable complexity.

Victorian

Camper Mog's layout was great, offering the flexibility for anywhere from 1-4 people. I'd have broadened the front bunks a little, and added maybe two inches width to the bathroom. I would not have changed anything about the rear area, as it worked out very well. (Except that the two side windows at the rear were going to be replaced with opening ones.)

All in all, I think the camper had one of the great layouts ever done. Unfortunately, much of this is because it is relatively huge and has the near-unique advantage of a walk-through cab-to-cabin passthrough.

BTW, while Victorian is right about how sweet a lifting roof would be, on a cabin the size of Camper Mog, it's quite a challenge. Thomas Ritter told me many years ago that the increment for a lifting roof Unicat cabin over an otherwise-identical fixed roof cabin was $50,000, a figure which implies considerable complexity.

Only $50.000 more? Dude, you got a deal there! :bike_rider:

If I would have to do it, I would create a lift roof!

Like this one: http://unicat.net/de/pics/BS6KD-2.html

Makes it way easier to fit into a shipping container, better fuel economy, no exposed windows while driving (scratches and stone throwing kids) and better while offroading in dense forests or narrow streets (with balconies!).

Just a thought!

Andreas

But a lifting roof like this offers immensely more room inside the camper
http://www.unicat.net/en/info/GEX46HD-MANM4x4CC.html
And you don't lose very valuable storage space near the roof at head level. In mine there are 9 small cabinets used to store kitchen things and clothes. And my "closet" is used to store tools, travel books, parts and computers so the room at the top is the only place to store clothes etc.
My greatest shortage is not GVW, like many other campers; but storage space.
IMHO there is little hope of fitting a Mog into a container.

Charlie

Victorian

But a lifting roof like this offers immensely more room inside the camper
http://www.unicat.net/en/info/GEX46HD-MANM4x4CC.html
And you don't lose very valuable storage space near the roof at head level. In mine there are 9 small cabinets used to store kitchen things and clothes. And my "closet" is used to store tools, travel books, parts and computers so the room at the top is the only place to store clothes etc.
My greatest shortage is not GVW, like many other campers; but storage space.
IMHO there is little hope of fitting a Mog into a container.

Charlie
That's a sweet looking MAN!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste