Unimogadventures - Our build and travel thread

thebigblue

Adventurer
Maybe the scale fools me, but the water-cooled intercooler on my G-wagon (twin-turbo diesel G400 cdi) is four times bigger and for a smaller engine (4 liters) an your Mog has 5.7 liters...

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Maybe the scale fools me, but the water-cooled intercooler on my G-wagon (twin-turbo diesel G400 cdi) is four times bigger and for a smaller engine (4 liters) an your Mog has 5.7 liters...

To give you some scale, I am using 2 1/2" pipe on the top, I think your G-wagon also runs much higher boost and makes more power as well :)

Iain_U1250

Explorer
We don't have masses of power, but enough to accelerate up most hills.

Key to this I think is getting the fueling system right, I found some old videos of the difference between the good injector nozzles and the bad ones, these are all brand new Bosch nozzles, we rejected 20 nozzles to find 12 good ones.

Coachgeo

Explorer
An old school KISS way rockcrawlers have prepped for such things is a small winch at each axle ends whose sole purpose was to compress down the suspension on the uphill side. Granted saw this done more for creasting steep rock faces to keep from flopping/EndO..ing backward but concpet applies same here.
On the FMTV Trucks there is a hydraulic cylinder on each side of the frame up front that is designed to suck the front suspension down to make the truck fit inside a C130. Lot of the guys buying these trucks are yanking those off and chunking them. Bet you could use these for this purpose.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Iain..... How are you?

A mate has a set of these on the Sunny Coast. He'd probably sell them. Came off a LMTV. It's probably the only one in OZ. I've been giving him a bit of a hand converting it to RHD. Cool trucks. Give me call if you're interested or if you're up this way.

Kind regards and best wishes for 2017
John

Last edited:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
That looks pretty complicated, how do they work? Manual pump somewhere?

I think I'll to some test with lowering the tyre pressure and see how much angle change I can get. In all our travels we have not had any side slopes as bad as that, and I don't think many of the little 4x4 touring vehicles could handle much more than that if they have anything on the roof. I think they would be great if we were constantly doing the rough tracks, but we try not to do them :)

Maybe some form of pneumatic cylinder to push / lock the downhill side of the axles , maybe an airspring on the bump stop

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The LMTV and FMTV's have hydraulics on board for the cab lift, spare wheel lift , winch and the suspension pull down. The suspension pull down looks easy enough to operate but too much hassle to set up if you don't already have a hydraulic pump ..... Sorry Iain thought you might have had one.

Last edited:

Oldgrey52

Hello Iain,
I am considering doing a Mog camper on an ex-army U1700L. Do you have any photos of one of these trucks showing the tray connection to the mercedes 3 point torsion system. I have looked on the net, yet to find a photo that shows the setup. I am thinking of converting a second-hand freezer pan and wondering if I can mount it on the existing tray or remove the tray and put on my own subframe, then build the torsion setup between the subframe and the camper.
Great build you're doing.
Regards
Oldgrey52

Sitec

Adventurer
Hello Iain,
I am considering doing a Mog camper on an ex-army U1700L. Do you have any photos of one of these trucks showing the tray connection to the mercedes 3 point torsion system. I have looked on the net, yet to find a photo that shows the setup. I am thinking of converting a second-hand freezer pan and wondering if I can mount it on the existing tray or remove the tray and put on my own subframe, then build the torsion setup between the subframe and the camper.
Great build you're doing.
Regards
Oldgrey52

This thread have some useful info and pictures....

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/25494-pivoting-frames-and-mounting-campers/page38

Iain_U1250

Explorer
The mounting system on my truck was from a U1700, I had to cut it down to size.

This is the centre mount

PICT0012.jpg

This is the front mount.

PICT0036.jpg

PICT0034.jpg

I cut off the heavy outer member, and made the tray narrower to suit the aluminium sheeting I was using for the cladding, mine is 2,2m wide. Let me know if you need more pics and I'll see what I can find in my records. If you get hold of the Unimog Body Builder Handbook, that gives a lot of details on how to mount the four point system.

PICT0015.jpg

attachment.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste