Unimog Camper under construction

BjarniThor

You dont have an exhaust brake on your mog?
How well do the standart brakes only hold up for mog campers in your opinion?
Is an exhaust brake maby not " a must have" ?
I depends though very much on the terrain you are traveling on I guess ?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
The silver thing just after the turbo is the exhaust brake. We use it all the time, and since we are at the maximum GVM, it is definitely a necessity, it really slows our truck down on any downhill. The normal brakes are pretty good, but I would not like to use them all the time on a long mountain pass.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
My inter cooler is water cooled. Pg 28 has more details. I'm thinking of increasing the size of the heat exchanger, as the water doesn't get that hot. I need to do some more measurements before I commit to that though. Since it is behind the radiator, it sits in the 50 Deg C hot air stream, so thinking of ways to re-direct the airflow.

Not sure if it would be worth it, for just a few degrees on the EGT.

thebigblue

Adventurer
Maybe the scale fools me, but the water-cooled intercooler on my G-wagon (twin-turbo diesel G400 cdi) is four times bigger and for a smaller engine (4 liters) an your Mog has 5.7 liters...

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Maybe the scale fools me, but the water-cooled intercooler on my G-wagon (twin-turbo diesel G400 cdi) is four times bigger and for a smaller engine (4 liters) an your Mog has 5.7 liters...
To give you some scale, I am using 2 1/2" pipe on the top, I think your G-wagon also runs much higher boost and makes more power as well :)

Iain_U1250

Explorer
We don't have masses of power, but enough to accelerate up most hills.

Key to this I think is getting the fueling system right, I found some old videos of the difference between the good injector nozzles and the bad ones, these are all brand new Bosch nozzles, we rejected 20 nozzles to find 12 good ones.

Coachgeo

Explorer
An old school KISS way rockcrawlers have prepped for such things is a small winch at each axle ends whose sole purpose was to compress down the suspension on the uphill side. Granted saw this done more for creasting steep rock faces to keep from flopping/EndO..ing backward but concpet applies same here.
On the FMTV Trucks there is a hydraulic cylinder on each side of the frame up front that is designed to suck the front suspension down to make the truck fit inside a C130. Lot of the guys buying these trucks are yanking those off and chunking them. Bet you could use these for this purpose.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Iain..... How are you?

A mate has a set of these on the Sunny Coast. He'd probably sell them. Came off a LMTV. It's probably the only one in OZ. I've been giving him a bit of a hand converting it to RHD. Cool trucks. Give me call if you're interested or if you're up this way.

Kind regards and best wishes for 2017
John

Last edited: