Unimog camper

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Assuming the U1600 and U1750 models are stock, I would imagine the U1750 would be the better choice IMHO. Longer wheelbase (3250 mm vs 2650 mm) and with the stock turbo engine @ ~170 bhp provides a nice amount of power for this type of application. While the 1750 is a bit heavier, it does have a higher payload capacity which can come in handy especially with providing enough gear, food, water, etc for more than 2 people (4 kids in your case).

How long / wide is the camper body in the last photo?

Idahounimog

It sounds like the best choice.starting the build next week. I'll send pics as we move along.the idea is to design the camper so that it can be offloaded easily .I plan on making fully self contained and I will design a flatbed for the unimog.I want to be able to go offloading without the camper on board.

Sitec

Adventurer
Yup, the LWB would be my choice too.. At the end of the day, you already have the body you are going to be fitting, so grab the tape measure and see which chassis length it best suits.. If the body is short, it does leave you room for twin spare wheels mounted on the rear, but mounted to the chassis as oppose to being hung off the body. Love a bit more info and pics of the body. Have my platform and always looking for ideas! ;)

Idahounimog

Yup, the LWB would be my choice too.. At the end of the day, you already have the body you are going to be fitting, so grab the tape measure and see which chassis length it best suits.. If the body is short, it does leave you room for twin spare wheels mounted on the rear, but mounted to the chassis as oppose to being hung off the body. Love a bit more info and pics of the body. Have my platform and always looking for ideas! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94