Unimog or 911 for Family of 5

DzlToy

Explorer
Buy the 911 for sure. You will have infinitely more fun in it than in the Unimog; it is at least three times as fast depending on the model chosen and there are only two small seats in the back. So, as the kids get older, you can escape the house and go enjoy driving in your Porsche :D

EDIT: Charlie, what do you think your crawl ratio or travel speed would be in your lowest working gear? I have seen some pretty low and also witnessed Toyota's Crawl Control being used to rescue a fairly well bogged Tacoma. Slow speed is where it's at for serious off road work. You have more time to react, significantly less abuse to the trail and the truck and no shock loading or flying parts should something go pear shaped.

About 320:1; top speed 0.9mph, 0.35 mph (6”/second) at 1000 rpm in 1st working gear. Crawler gears are 9.75 times slower. 3-4-5 crawler forwards and 4-5-6 crawler reverse match front/rear winch respectively.

unirover

Observer
I also agree. For 99% of overlanders, 99% percent of the time, Unimogs are overkill. I drive my Unimog for the 1% of time which is is priceless and I actually find myself doing that more than 10% of the time because I actually can. I often take my Mog places that are not even an option for a MAN, Mercedes Truck or LMTV based on size alone. Once you take height, width, weight and off-road capability into account, you are basically limited to roads with most 4x4 big trucks. The Unimog can actually go down a lot of "trails" that are absolutely out of the question for bigger vehicles. However, I am not trying to live out of my vehicle for extended periods of time nor do I expect to be able to stand up extended inside. It's all a balance. BTW, contrary to popular beflef, Unimogs don't have to be ridiculously expensive. I have less money in my Unimog than most people spend on a new Jeep or a used one with modifications needed to it half as capable. I am also not scared to scratch the paint or endure the odd dent or two. If you can not afford, or are unwilling, to scratch and damage your vehicle then you probably should not be overlanding with it.

Diplostrat.

Agreed.

Whilst the unimog is a fantastic vehicle I have yet to see the advantage over many other vehicles. Once you put a £120,000 cabin on the back, you are not going to use it to its ability. It's your home. Why would you risk your dream.

Great vehicle but not necessary for 99% of overlanders or overlanding.

Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier