Unimog U1300L 435 1986 - Restore to former glory & add custom camper

Simon dix

Nothing exciting to look at but these front part bolt-on chassis components are nice and clean thanks to Rasal. I got my guy at work on a quiet day to use a needle scaler tool (pneumatic rust remover) to clean off what was predominantly 33 year old rust proofing and the undercoat beneath that. The odd place was showing superficial browning (the dreaded birth of rust) where the bumper had been knocked around by some unskilled drivers in the past. Luckily the oxidation process had not started eating deep and therefore the integrity of these components are pretty much as they were in its former glory days. Some massaging of the right side bumper rail was required using a sizeable hammer and a big chunk of i-beam (our rusty old anvil) which we found lying around.

Attachments

Simon dix

Thought I would throw a design down on paper, so those that are interested can have a sneak peek. I should probably get back to focusing more on getting Mogone to a satisfactory state first? But this evening I was free, and I could not do anything to Mogone because she does not live at my place, so thought it was a good time to throw a simplistic 6 berth idea down. The actual working complexity given space, weight, automation and compliance will not be exactly as simplistic as what the drawing presents? You maybe wondering how I will access the spare wheel? Quite a few options.

I also wanted to share my state of the art anvil during some metal massaging. The metal PINGGGGG is nasty so remember your hearing protection. The anvil and hammer had the desired effect.........nice and straight and even!!

Attachments

Sitec

Adventurer
Food for thought... Consider a compost toilet (Natures Head, Air Head or similar). It means you don't have to have a black slops tank, and you are not flushing valuable water down the pan... Also, are gas cylinders ok to have within the living area?

Two standard off the shelf roof top tents side by side above the cab would give you those 4 births without having to impact the living area... Now is an interesting time in your build as planning is very important! :)

Simon dix

Food for thought... Consider a compost toilet (Natures Head, Air Head or similar). It means you don't have to have a black slops tank, and you are not flushing valuable water down the pan... Also, are gas cylinders ok to have within the living area?

Two standard off the shelf roof top tents side by side above the cab would give you those 4 births without having to impact the living area... Now is an interesting time in your build as planning is very important! :)
I have never considered a compost toilet........I will look at that and thanks. As for the gas I need to double check this but I am assuming that it 100% needs to vent outside of the vehicle, and there is no chance of gas engulfing a confined space to cause the unthinkable due to a spark. Many compliance issues will need to be looked at in detail. For e.g. think for QLD rear overhand 60% of wheel base (mine will be in the order of 1,950mm from centre of rear wheel). Gas and plumbing needs to be signed off by appropriate qualified plumber/gas installer. From memory I think the tanks even have to be removable for repairs, changing and the like.

Will look at the roof top side by side. 👍

I agree whole wholeheartedly with you that planning is very important. I think one can often tell when driving down a road of a camper project that has had time, planning and love thrown into it compared to one that has just been knocked up quickly. I am not having a go at those who knock something up quickly as they are probably working to a totally different budget and will use their contraption for different purposes like weekend getaways rather than travel around Aussie or SE Asia. In fact I designed and built the frame work (with the help from my cousin) for a trailer camper that is still sitting very unfinished at my mates place. I even bought the aluminium for the flip top tent, aluminium track for canvas to slot into, water tanks, gas cook top/sink, Baby Weber bbq, 110l Waeco and then everything came to a halt. If anyone is interested to see some pics Ill dig some up.

I also think appreciating others points of views is crucial for the best outcome of a projects end product. I better get to work!! Cheers

Iain_U1250

Explorer
We have a Nature's Head composting toilet, it works great. As for the gas bottles, best stored outside, there are standards for venting that need to be followed. There are regulations for everything, and if you don't comply with them, there is a chance that some bureaucrat in the licencing office will just not approve the registration. You can then try another office, the more regional ones are a lot less strict lol. Your "Engineer" may be a lot stricter, as he has to sign off on each modification, and most take this quite seriously as if there is a problem which causes an accident, they are personally responsible. I've seen a Mog registered that clearly breaks more than one of the "ADR Rules" yet it is registered. It's only if there is an accident will someone start looking.

Simon dix

We have a Nature's Head composting toilet, it works great. As for the gas bottles, best stored outside, there are standards for venting that need to be followed. There are regulations for everything, and if you don't comply with them, there is a chance that some bureaucrat in the licencing office will just not approve the registration. You can then try another office, the more regional ones are a lot less strict lol. Your "Engineer" may be a lot stricter, as he has to sign off on each modification, and most take this quite seriously as if there is a problem which causes an accident, they are personally responsible. I've seen a Mog registered that clearly breaks more than one of the "ADR Rules" yet it is registered. It's only if there is an accident will someone start looking.
Hi Iain, Thanks. The compost toilets seem to be a grand choice?

WRT the certification etc and coming from someone who has been through this whole journey I will certainly be seeking your experience from time to time without trying to annoy you too much 😊. Insurance is serious business in our lives.

I built a trailer a few years ago and I was surprised how easy it was to get it on the road. No one even inspected my welding or anything!! I am certainly not comparing registration for a trailer vs a camper as these are different animals altogether?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
My Engineer did inspect the welds on the seat bases, luckily by them my welding had improved :) I had an expert do the welding on the main framework, just did not want to take the risk.

Unimog Photos-0039.jpg

Simon dix

My Engineer did inspect the welds on the seat bases, luckily by them my welding had improved :) I had an expert do the welding on the main framework, just did not want to take the risk.

View attachment 538814
Looks like that workshop was A1A? Fortunately I have many pro welders in the region (being in the vicinity of shipyards, offshore companies and the like). Unfortunately I don’t have quick access to a certifying QLD Engineer to call upon. Costs could go up dramatically should the Engineer do a 16hour (flight time) round trip journey for an inspection and a beer 🤣. I suppose I will just make sure I don’t hide anything that cannot be inspected? Or maybe I will get a weld report carried out for seat bases and major structural portions?
How many seats does yours have in the rear portion?
I am toying with making the structure out of Aluminium?
Sometimes I seem to spend a lot of time thinking about a lot but not achieving a lot!!