Unimog U1300L 435 1986 - Restore to former glory & add custom camper

Simon dix

Looks great :)

Now just needs a camper :)
Cheers Iain. Need to put the bloody thing back together 😅. Taken enough time to where I’m at and have not even done final camper design etc. I’m Glad I purchased coloured cable ties etc for ease of re assembling hoses and the like! Got a few more things to put back on Mogone and then she will get a final spray touch up. The old 1986 beast doesn’t look too bad under the bonnet.

Attachments

Simon dix

The roof rack has been modified a number of times for various reasons. the main reasons being:
1. Designed originally to fit the custom mog roof
2. Variation to accommodate wheel hoist
3. Variation for newly raised roof

The roof rack has been a painful journey to say the least however I will not list all the ins and outs as it has the potential to be a bit of a yawn........but I must add that the most simple and straight forward jobs can sometimes turn into a time consuming, needless issue due to piss poor planning (change of mind too many times).

Attachments

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Very cool, I built mine also using a linear actuator, but my engineer said due to the "ADR rules" it has to be an over-centre design, so that it locks in the up or down position.

A linear actuator will hold position unless powered, but a pneumatic or hydraulic cylinder would not hold position and thus the step could open whilst driving. If took a few goes to get the mechanical bit to work, but it has operated for over 6 years now without any problems.

Last edited:

Simon dix

Great info Iain. I still have to read these ADR rules in detail. Been too busy with real work hence Mogone has taken a back seat.