Unimogs are not indestructable...

Robthebrit

Explorer
Although drivetrain failures in unimogs are pretty much unheard of, I must be special, because I managed it!

It would appear that my 2nd gear output bearing has seized onto the output shaft, so its always in second gear! Fortunately I have other neutrals so I can stop the damn thing driving off when I start it, I can also reverse it - in second! If I put it in another gear, so its in two gears at once, it gets really mad and either kicks the other gear out or makes a horrible noise as it forces the seized bearing to turn..

When I went to Joshua Tree over the new year it drove perfectly but while I was airing up to come home, it was idling in neutral and it lurched forward a few inches (kinda weird when you're right next to a 46 inch tire). That was the first sign and it never did it again and it drove home without incident. From there it went down hill pretty quickly

I'll be down for a few months. Getting the tranny out of a mog is a nightmare due to the torque tubes, it weighs about 800 pounds and I have to tip the cab etc. I'm probably going to just replace it, getting the old one out is most of the work and at that point I may as well replace it.

oh well, ******** happens. I am glad it happened in my driveway and not in the middle of utah or baja.

Rob

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Rob...........

VERY sorry to hear this!

If I were with you.......

I would have done my best to tow you home! (OH YA!...with my whimpy 4Runner!)

How did you get home....by the way?

Maybe all of us Unimog Luva's can learn a bit from this!

May the Rock Gods be with you!:sombrero: :safari-rig: :sombrero:

Robthebrit

Explorer
I drove it home! I didn't really think much of it at the time, these trucks do weird things sometimes. In retrospect it probably not the smartest thing but it drove the 200 miles home at 60mph as if there was nothing wrong. Its been fine for the last couple of weeks, I have driven it a few times and its been fairly normal but the lurching got a little more common and just in the last few days its got much worse. I changed the oil today, filled it with synthetic and it seems to be slightly better than it has been, even to the point I may be able to drive it. I think I can get it moving again and it will last long enough for me to locate another but I am not going to stray far in it just in case, hopefully it won't grenade on me in home depots parking lot.

I am really not too bothered by the whole thing. I'll keep the forum posted as to whats happening with it as it gets fixed.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles