Updated 2021 Colorado images released

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
there have been a lot of vehicles released over a year early and then some not so early. Heck Ford Bronco has been releasing tidbits of the new bronco for years. The JT Gladiator nearly as long. Kind of like how some retailers start advertising for Christmas in July and by November are putting all away and advertising for summer lol.
True, but the Wrangler was released what? 6 months early as a 2020? And the Bronco has been teased, not released. This 2021 truck was released (photos of it anyway) and I don't even think you can build a 2020 on most manufactures websites yet.

jadmt

ignore button user
love the color and I have been kicking around selling my jeep and the ZR2 has been one on my list of possible replacements and now with this color it is familiar :)

IMG_20190626_143918513_TOP_zpsumgnl7co.jpg

rkj__

Adventurer
My initial reaction to seeing the posted photo was positive.

I don't mind the 2020 Silverado HD either, so perhaps I'm my tastes are different from the majority.

jadmt

ignore button user

I don't mind the 2020 Silverado HD either, so perhaps I'm my tastes are different from the majority.
Same here. Where I live, I swear over 50% of the trucks you see are new duramax's and I think they look pretty good coming at you or in your rearview mirror.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I felt the same way about the updated Rams.

But the new updates have surprisingly grown on me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agree on the Ram 1500's. The '19 HD Ram's haven't grown on me yet. I'm curious to see what the HD's look like once they get a full refresh in a year or two.

roving1

Personal opinion I think a lot of vehicle front ends are overdesigned (as in there's too much going on, visually) and this is no exception.

But cosmetics are subjective. What's more objective I'm actually a little surprised at how much tire exposure is apparent here - and not just in the headline photo with the suspension unloaded a little, there's a lot of tire in all of the shots.

As most of us here, I'm well accustomed to travel on difficult terrain and aware of the advantages an extreme approach angle affords but there's no free lunch in this world. Tire exposure has compromises in terms of crash compatibility, managing occupant safety (is that tire going to crush your foot in an offset collision with no bumper ahead of it to manage movement?), tires are aerodynamically disastrous and subsequent to that they contribute significantly to wind noise, and not trivially the absence of a bumper ahead of a tire can allow for the hazardous wall-of-water when entering even minor puddles at crest speed.

The above aren't meant to be complaints or pointless whining. I like the tire exposure in general both for its improved approach to serious terrain and it just looks cool but I'm curious how and if they've addressed the necessary compromises.

No vehicle these days has any significant structure in the bumper outboard of the frame. The crash beam is located between the frame rails on BOF vehicles. Off set collisions are strengthened with angled structures tying the core support and beam over to the fender apron. Cabin intrusion is part of the cabin design. You really think they would build something that would not pass crash regs? Not really different in unibody designs. Seriously, most things just have fenderliners, windshield washer fluid reservoirs and some plastic fascia in front of the tires. I have no idea where you are basing the idea there is any compromise in safety going on here.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler

Yeah, right on...you know, it’ll always be like this:

My brother likes tall, long legged women with long, straight dark hair and big chests, and Ford Trucks.

I like athletic, petite gals with curly hair and skinny butts, and Chevy Trucks.

Different strokes for different folks....:devilish:

tennesseewj

Observer
I actually don't mind this update on the ZR2, but I have always felt the ZR2 looked slightly "immature" anyway.

The first Raptor grill received criticism from skeptics when it hit the market but now that super-aggresive grill is a staple of that market.

The design cues are similar to the Silverado lineup, so I'm surprised they look so much nicer on the Colorado than the Silverado.

I 100% despise the new Silverado styling, and I say this as a lifetime GM truck fan. I loved the outgoing body style but I throw up in my mouth when I see the new ones. Especially the 3/4 tons...yuck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

roving1

Maybe that's because I'm not. :rolleyes: Clearly the vehicle's going to pass FMVSS to sell, I said I'm curious how. The tire's outside the frame so a crash beam between the frame rails isn't going to be involved in an offset that hits the tire is it? So the tire has to get pushed under the cabin or it's crushing feet. That means they probably have a reinforcement that pushes it under the cabin, these are engineering details I'm curious about for curiosity's sake.

No need for the attitude.

You are making assumptions that are incorrect. Not sure how pointing that out is an attitude. There is not significant structure in front of the tires of most vehicles. You are acting like a plastic fender liner and a coolant tank provide any crash protection when they don't. There isn't a ZR2 cab and a base model cab designed with different load paths. That is literally not how any auto production works for average vehicles.

The whole point of the small overlap test is to miss the crash beam and push the tire into the cabin and see how the cabin resists intrusion and deformation because it's a real life situation where there is nothing really going to stop the tire from moving into the cab because there is nothing significant in front of the tire.

So the whole point is almost nothing or air in the case of the ZR2 MAKES NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE. It's all about the suspension failure mode and cabin intrusion resistance.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz