Upland Hunting - General

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
@PirateMcGee
Congrats! keeps us posted pls.

Yeah my favorite is less people and slow pace. I once attended a pheasant hunt... it was a grope of 12-15... didn't quite like it.
Thanks! He's 9 weeks old today and doing quite well. So far he's learned sit, come, and down to a T and has only had a couple of accidents. Also been sleeping though the night the last 3 nights in a row. Finding Mr. Ghillie to be pretty awesome so far!IMG_20220315_105132_923.jpg
IMG_20220324_074615_637.jpg

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
They are gonna absorb things very fast. Also this is great timing for a pup to be born. The whole spring and summer is ahead which allows them to get very comfortable with water while they are still small.
My pup only saw snow for her 6 month of life.
Even after that the water was so cold that it took some time for her to have a fun in the water.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
They are gonna absorb things very fast. Also this is great timing for a pup to be born. The whole spring and summer is ahead which allows them to get very comfortable with water while they are still small.
My pup only saw snow for her 6 month of life.
Even after that the water was so cold that it took some time for her to have a fun in the water.
Yep, they are such a sponge at this age. I swear I can see him grow while he sleeps haha.

Timing really is perfect. I am also switching jobs which means burning some time off that won't transfer so I mainly get to work from home and take a bunch of time off until late April. He flushed a dove randomly on a walk this weekend while on a leash haha. Should be ready for some mild upland hunting this fall so I am hoping to get on some sage grouse, dusky grouse, and pheasants.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Should be ready for some mild upland hunting this fall so I am hoping to get on some sage grouse, dusky grouse, and pheasants.

Sorry for asking, I am not trying to fish the spots, are these birds available in Colorado or you hunt them elsewhere (WY, ID & MT comes in mind)?

I was surprised to know that people hunt ruffed grouse in places like ID and OR...

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Sorry for asking, I am not trying to fish the spots, are these birds available in Colorado or you hunt them elsewhere (WY, ID & MT comes in mind)?

I was surprised to know that people hunt ruffed grouse in places like ID and OR...

All available on public land in CO. I might also venture into MT/WY since it's pretty close.

Ruffed Grouse in the far west? Fake news! Hoax!

Next thing you know, someone will claim there are dusky and sooty grouse, too.:)

BTW, There’s a nice ebook on grouse in Idaho. “Idaho Ruffed Grouse Hunting - The heartbeat of the woods“ Andrew Waymant

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
All available on public land in CO. I might also venture into MT/WY since it's pretty close.
I have always wanted to hunt them. I know a few guys who go up in norther Quebec to hunt them but I think it's different ptarmigan

BTW, There’s a nice ebook on grouse in Idaho. “Idaho Ruffed Grouse Hunting - The heartbeat of the woods“ Andrew Waymant
Yes, I fallow him on social media.
My surprise was more about the places they live in the west such very aired high deserts forest where in the upper Midwest and in New England you can find them almost in swamps.
Very adaptable bird.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Finally,
Her first woodcock from last Sunday. The was the most tensed point she's ever done up until this day.
I hope to find more of them. They are incredible birds and can train dog well, make them more careful and stealthy.
This one was an accident, she just came across it. Now she knows that there are game birds in the places like this and she needs to adjust.

.D1.JPG

As my training continues, we successfully did a 300 yard L shape blood track this morning. The track was 30 minutes old.
The goal is to get her at a level where she can do 500 yards, with a few turns and and a few hours old track. Ideally, would be great if I can get her on overnight track...
She seems to be liking it so far (there is her favorite deer leg and cat food at the end of the track :D ).

D2.JPG

Zixotane

Hello everyone! Want to share with you the photo of my friend who's been hunting with me for 4 years already.

Attachments

• photo_2022-04-08_17-38-29.jpg
    photo_2022-04-08_17-38-29.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 9

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
If anyone is interested in German Longhaired Pointer there are very good pups available.
The kennel, where my dog comes from, currently has got two different litters on the ground.

Both litters have top notch hunting dog parents which have been thoroughly evaluated through testing and health exams.. They hunted almost every day during the last season. From woodcock to sharptails to duck to geese.

"E" v Hunter's Shadow (dl-gna.org)

"F" v Hunter's Shadow (dl-gna.org)

The parents for each litters differ form each other in hunting style, blood lines, personalities so if you are interested in the breeder will do his best to get you what you need.
Pictures of the pups and parents are available in the links. (the contact info as well).

If you are a big game hunter who also happens to be interested in upland hunting, waterfowl, rabbits (or vermin) and blood tracking the dead deer this is the breed for you.

The most of the pups are gone or under the process.
The pups will only be sold to hunters.

Disclaimer: the mother of the F litter pups is my dog's sister. I am thinking to get one since she is mated with a male with remarkable nose and drive and I am very happy with what my dog has become.

Lunaru

Just found this board, guess I’m a little late. hunt ruffed grouse, pheasant, and chukkar with labs. No they are not good at chukkar. 97D43E6F-8A73-4403-BB1A-2A5522079112.jpeg7FD35CFA-DE66-4BFD-BB4B-EF605DE7780D.jpeg

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
@Sparse Gray Hackle

They are (at least supposed to be) the calmest dogs of all the German breeds.
The breeding standard specifically says that the dog has to be calm and balanced.
The breeding philosophy specifically states that the dog has be calm and then anything else such as only the dogs.

They do have high prey drive but their calm nature can override it. My dog never wines and never barks for no reason. (I have seen GWP and GSP barking for no reason)
She barks at deer and squirrels when the try to come to her food bawl, but I never seen her wine in the crate while waiting for me.
Two weeks ago I was training with Drathaar guys in NJ. They were surprised to see how quite she was.

Are all of the DL calm? No, but the majority is. The breeding is geared towards that way at least and has been since the 19th century.
If you see a DL it might have three letters next to the name such as Jimmy Bob V/SG/SG.
The first letter implies the type. What type of a dog is he is the question here. Calm? Active? Scary? Shy?

1654267403931.png

However there a few important points.
Calmness might translate into slow performance... their nickname is Slow Forester or Slow German.
If you are looking for a show in the field the GSP will give a better one. But this does not mean they lack beauty in the field, They gait and movement is way more flued and graceful than many breeds. They got it from Setters.

The second thing is that they are working type dog and they love having a job and doing it for you. You can not expect them being calm but have no desire to do things.
This means that for some, including my dog, drills and tasks are better than a 30 walking in the park. 4 times in a week I take her to places and we do drills (retrieve, heel, stay etc) for like 25-35 minutes and after that we do like 10 minutes of a walk. She is happy and sleeps by my legs next whole day.
If this is something unachievable for you you might need to rethink it.

The downside of the breed is that they will have trouble in heat... not much different from GWP in that regard. And you will have to deal with the long hair which if you come from Setters (like I do) or brittinies it is not a big deal.

I forgot to mention that the kennel tends to produce dogs for grouse and woodcock hunting though he himself spends a fare amount of time in the Dakotas for pheasants and sharpies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior