Ursa Minor Camper Shell for JT Gladiator

Lucrob

Did John from Ursa tell you directly he won't make a top for the Gladiator, or are you just speculating?

Yes, they will make one for the Bronco, but actually that's going to be "entirely new", while the Gladiator one can be substantially the same as the JL one.

Like I said, Ursa won't be first to market, but as far as I know, they are still planning a top for the Gladiator.

-Dan
Dan, I really don't see how adapting a JL to the JT can work. The bed and cab move about independently from one another. If you lock it down to the bed and the roof, things are going to be break. As a Gladiator owner, I'm looking forward to a solution. Maybe like a long transit bus that connects two separate chassis together for Independant turning.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Dan, I really don't see how adapting a JL to the JT can work. The bed and cab move about independently from one another. If you lock it down to the bed and the roof, things are going to be break. As a Gladiator owner, I'm looking forward to a solution. Maybe like a long transit bus that connects two separate chassis together for Independant turning.

I had the same worries, but I've been assured it can and will work. It will be built.

-Dan

Ark

I had the same worries, but I've been assured it can and will work. It will be built.

-Dan

It looks like it'll be a tough challenge but I'm excited by the potential offered by the Gladiator platform. The fact that it has a removable fiberglass top puts it into a completely different category than any other truck out there. If you cut a hole in the roof/back of the cab of a Tacoma or any other truck on the market for a pass through or even using part of the cab as livable space, it's effectively irreversible and now you have a permanent RV. On top of that, are you compromising safety? How about long term resistance to corrosion? Not a problem with the Gladiator though.

It's tough to wait but I'm really excited to see what UM comes up with. They have had innovative, high quality, well engineered solutions that fill a unique spot in the market. I am sure they will not disappoint for this truck. The platform has the potential to offer some excellent living space on a very capable platform and I hope it'll be worth the wait.

tbrenneman

The platform has the potential to offer some excellent living space on a very capable platform and I hope it'll be worth the wait.

I completely agree. GFC, AT Habitat, etc are great but they don't take advantage of the uniqueness of the Gladiator. I also can't wait to see some creative methods to attach the cab and bed into one space. As stated by others, some sort of accordion or whatever Earthroamer does to tie the body and bed together should work. Makes me think of the Jeep Africa concept from a few years ago. Imagine that with a pop top and living space below!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Makes me think of the Jeep Africa concept from a few years ago. Imagine that with a pop top and living space below!

That's almost exactly what I built mine to be (pop up with living space below), the Africa is just a touch longer.

-Dan

Attachments

• kenya-jeep-camping-muddy.jpg
    kenya-jeep-camping-muddy.jpg
    837.5 KB · Views: 40

Ark

Dan,

I've heard you mention in the past (my apologies if it was this thread!) that while you enjoyed your Jeep, after months you wished you would've have something with slightly more interior space like a sportsmobile.

Looking at the footprint of the Gladiator, do you think a camper buildout on that truck would add enough room to satisfy your interior room wants?

Those sportsmobiles appear to be very capable but the Gladiator seems like it will be slightly more off-road-able and might have a slight edge maneuvering around cities.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Dan,

I've heard you mention in the past (my apologies if it was this thread!) that while you enjoyed your Jeep, after months you wished you would've have something with slightly more interior space like a sportsmobile.

Looking at the footprint of the Gladiator, do you think a camper buildout on that truck would add enough room to satisfy your interior room wants?

Those sportsmobiles appear to be very capable but the Gladiator seems like it will be slightly more off-road-able and might have a slight edge maneuvering around cities.

I think it depends more on the weather for a proposed trip, the length of said trip, the number of people involved, and how remote you are attempting to get.
These are the factors that determine how suitable a vehicle/camper combo is.

The gladiator "camper" is going to be interesting too, because the rear of the bed will still have a vertical wall, and the rear of the tub vertical wall will still be there... so it's not going to like a Sportsmobile where you can just waltz on through. Also I doubt there will be a nice way to swivel the front passenger seat which is a super nice feature of vans.

My Jeep right now has over 5 feet of length from the inside of the tailgate to the back of the driver's seat... which is longer than the 5 ft Gladiator bed.

So in all honesty it's apples to oranges.

-Dan

Ark

I think it depends more on the weather for a proposed trip, the length of said trip, the number of people involved, and how remote you are attempting to get.
These are the factors that determine how suitable a vehicle/camper combo is.

The gladiator "camper" is going to be interesting too, because the rear of the bed will still have a vertical wall, and the rear of the tub vertical wall will still be there... so it's not going to like a Sportsmobile where you can just waltz on through. Also I doubt there will be a nice way to swivel the front passenger seat which is a super nice feature of vans.

My Jeep right now has over 5 feet of length from the inside of the tailgate to the back of the driver's seat... which is longer than the 5 ft Gladiator bed.

So in all honesty it's apples to oranges.

-Dan

Makes sense! Always good to hear an informed opinion

LyLCamp'R

Hey guys, just a little input on camper, after travelling over 5k miles with mine, when off roading the frame does twist a lot, I personally don't think mating cab with unit is a good option unless using a ruber boot in between.. Minimum payload past rear axle is very important, as the back frame offer little support.

Attachments

• 20200731_202235(1).jpg
    20200731_202235(1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
  • 20200801_194459.jpg
    20200801_194459.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 129

Ark

Hey guys, just a little input on camper, after travelling over 5k miles with mine, when off roading the frame does twist a lot, I personally don't think mating cab with unit is a good option unless using a ruber boot in between.. Minimum payload past rear axle is very important, as the back frame offer little support.

LyLCamp'R, 100% agree. Any kind of pass through would need a flexible connection. I would think something similar to post 31 would work pretty well

campertramper

It’s referenced at the bottom of the JL J30 page on their website. It says:
  • We will offer a J30 version for the Jeep Gladiator Truck, but that will be a completely new product pre-order page, and based on how long the JL is taking probably would be a late 2020 product.

It currently says "late 2021 product" on the https://ursaminorvehicles.com/j30-pop-up-camper-jl-2.html page:
  • We will offer a J30 version for the Jeep Gladiator Truck, but that will be a completely new product pre-order page, and based on how long the JL took...is probably would be a late 2021 product.

campertramper

I like how you mounted your bike on the front of the vehicle!

lkosh

Anyone heard anything new about a version for the JT? The description on their webpage doesn't look like it's changed much, if at all.

campertramper

When I met up with John from Ursa Minor in December 2021 I believe he said that they are currently prioritizing development on the bronco and that the Gladiator build will come after that. I'm guessing we're looking more at 2023 or 2024. Your patience will be rewarded...

Reactions: Ark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles