Ursa Minor J30 Wrangler vs Alu-Cab Canopy Camper Gladiator?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
A bit unrelated, but I just saw Hourless Life post this video.

Watch what the streets are like. Watch the traffic.
You will do this for hundreds of day on the PanAm (even when trying HARD to avoid bigger towns/cities)

Do you want to tow in that?

-Dan

Clymber

Adventurer
Alucab. I had an Ursa top and the lack of room to really walk around is a pain. The upside of an Ursa is that you can remote start the truck and get the heat going before getting out of sleeping bag.
Personally the Alucab and Ursa cannot even be compared check out AT Overland stuff also

HopeOverLandandSea

Man some really good food for thought here, Dan I appreciate your perspective and how the convertible aspect when it is your home goes to nil! Then the question becomes why a Jeep vs any other normal "truck"? Which I think you are facing now with truck #4 and planning your 4th trip. (BTW my vote is SE Asia, India / up in Korea, etc. I think that is natural extension and lots of incredible views!)

If you are diehard JEEP, Gladiator seems to fit the need, Four Wheel Camper, AT Overland, Alu-Cab, lots of options there. IF anyone has lots of time in a Skinny Guy camper that would be a very interesting choice because you get all of your bed for your living room area and the bed goes over the rear of the truck. Less wind resistance too for better MPG vs all the other options where the bedroom is over the cab/ truck bed area.

Weight and width are the downsides to say Ram 2500 Rebel... which is sorta a dark horse candidate along with Suburbans, Toyota Sequoia / Tundra.

This will be for 2 of us 90% of the time with 2 months per summer a third / teenager as my nephew comes along but he will have to TENT it or something. Not sure how long I will take for PanAM and I work from actual office Jan to April 15th (taxes) so I may have to fly back / store the truck/camper for 3.5 months and fly back in to keep going.

Thanks to everyone and please keep the comments coming. I am leaning more towards a truck/camper style but J30 is still a contender with Willys Wrangler. In theory 2024 models are getting HD rear axle and upgraded towing, hoping that also gets upgraded payload!!!

fourfa

Observer
The upside of an Ursa is that you can remote start the truck and get the heat going before getting out of sleeping bag.

I do this a lot in my Gladiator + Alu-Cab with factory remote start. I'm trying but can't figure out why someone would only think it possible in a Wrangler + Ursa

HopeOverLandandSea

I do this a lot in my Gladiator + Alu-Cab with factory remote start. I'm trying but can't figure out why someone would only think it possible in a Wrangler + Ursa

I suspect what they are saying is compared to my gladiator solution, the ursa you are sleeping "in" the vehicle so as it gets warm your sleeping area gets warm. In the Gladiator / Alu-Cab setup that area is not connected to the heat from the Jeep.

HopeOverLandandSea

Alucab. I had an Ursa top and the lack of room to really walk around is a pain. The upside of an Ursa is that you can remote start the truck and get the heat going before getting out of sleeping bag.
Personally the Alucab and Ursa cannot even be compared check out AT Overland stuff also

I am kinda digging the AT Overland Habitat for the sheer amount of room inside! There is a company called Skinny Guy that I really liked their setup at Overland Expo East too and the price points are similar for entry level. By flipping your sleeping space out of the way your entire bed is now living room space.

Clymber

Adventurer
Because all you have to do is open the hatches and the heat goes up into the tent. As far as I know there are no heat vents in the the bed of any pickup

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I would like to know how this is done fr future reference. I'd love to own a Gladiator some day.......

fourfa

Observer
OK, good answers all. What I do in my Glad is remote start to get the engine warming up, the electric HVAC pre-heat comes on, and if it's cold enough the seat and steering wheel heaters come on automatically. So when I get in, the cabin is nice and warm. But correct, it does nothing for the camper.

redruby

I had the Alucab Camper for 18 months on a 21 Gladiator Rubicon and I love it, I came from backpacking sleeping in tents roof top tent on my LJ Rubicon and the Alucab is the best solution in my opinion yes it’s heavy I’m at 7K lbs rides nice no complaints had to upgrade the suspension to Clayton’s HD Overlanding 2 1/2” lift and 35” tires. I do wish I could access the cab from the Alucab but I have to go outside and having that big door is a huge plus as far as heating I use a buddy heater for 15-30 minutes at night prior to crawling into bed and in the morning I hop out turn on the heater back into bed for 15-30 minutes and it’s comfortable in the Alucab I’m out of the bad weather when it’s around and I can stand up which is fantastic. I’m doing a 3-4 month trip to Tuk and Prudhoe Bay this summer and looking forward to a great adventure

Attachments

• F5645F5A-D1F1-4DB3-A9EF-065F079B4DF0.jpeg
    F5645F5A-D1F1-4DB3-A9EF-065F079B4DF0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32

dmulk

Because all you have to do is open the hatches and the heat goes up into the tent. As far as I know there are no heat vents in the the bed of any pickup
Remote start only works twice without inserting a key btw... (At least on a JK)

Jay61

Having done both before, with two people you will be happier with the Gladiator/Alu Cab Canopy Camper, if by yourself, the Wrangler set up is just fine. The space in the Wrangler really is an issue with two adults, not to mention getting up in the middle of the night to do your "business" with two in the J30 will create issues at some point in time. I have the Gladiator JTR with the ACCC and I am getting ready to order the J30 for my JKUR. I got to spend a week in a Wrangler with the set up that was a loaner from a friend to see if it was practical for me and my GF. However, I do travel alone at times and the J30 is ideal for that because I love to get in really out of the way places, however, I have been pleasantly surprised with where I could get my Gladiator setup.

JeepN3RD

Just an update, I had the JL 4xe Rubicon and towed 2 months, 8000 miles, my 12’ Aliner this summer with my nephew and I living in it. I came back and traded that Wrangler for a 2022 Gladiator Rubicon and still towing the Aliner!

I am watching deals on the $3700 new Alucab Contour Canopy (I always get name wrong, non Camper version just the shell / cap) as those are $4k or less and the plan currently is to use that for sleeping in the rear on occasion.

My wife and I have been living in the Aliner for the last month, it is 8’x12’ Scout version and we are getting pretty used to tiny house life. So this is a workable solution for sure, the only question is when we start traveling south of the border do we eventually drop the trailer and upgrade to the Canopy Camper system. (Aka #HourlessLife setup).

I don’t think we will really know until we start traveling down there, “paid for” is a strong motivator and something we have observed living in the camper 3 months so far this year is I really like having a “camp” and a vehicle that are not the same. We tend to run back to town and if we had to break camp every time with the canopy / camper solution it would be a PITA. At some point I may not have that luxury any longer but for now the truck + camper is working.

I have been messaging with a couple that pulled their 19’ travel trailer 60k miles, artic circle to panama and back and that has given me hope this is a workable model.

So.. the AluCab / Gladiator concept is where I am headed, but may take a bit of time with just the ‘contour canopy’ (just the cap) for now!IMG_5771.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne