Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Nearly a month after getting my top I noticed that the front drivers clasp was getting really loose. Popped the top and looked to find that nothing was on the other end of the bolts, checked the passenger side and found the same thing. If they had a nut on them it had come off but since all 4 were missing I doubt it ever had any. I happened to have some nylock nuts in my tool bag and it was an easy fix. Just pop the top and everything is easily accessible. I probably should have contacted John but just did the fix and moved on.

IMG_0207.JPG

Nearly a month after getting my top I noticed that the front drivers clasp was getting really loose. Popped the top and looked to find that nothing was on the other end of the bolts, checked the passenger side and found the same thing. If they had a nut on them it had come off but since all 4 were missing I doubt it ever had any. I happened to have some nylock nuts in my tool bag and it was an easy fix. Just pop the top and everything is easily accessible. I probably should have contacted John but just did the fix and moved on.

View attachment 487736
Yikes. Good heads up for the rest of us. Hope you were able to seal the cracks somehow?

It happened at the start of our TAT trip so I just used some caulking I had in my bag. I take care not to over tension it when snapping it down but I haven't rechecked it since being home so that needs to go on my to-do list.

I had to drive from Michigan to San Diego and John called the house but I'd already left so I didn't get the message that there was a delay. Because of that they busted a$$ to get it ready and this just got missed. I'm appreciative of them doing everything to get me going on a Friday so I didn't have to spring for a San Diego hotel all weekend. Overall I have nothing but good to say about my top in general in spite of this mistake. It could have been very serious but luckily was only a hiccup.

I don't love the ladder, because it advertises to people they should climb up there when you're asleep...

AEV now sell their rails that run along the tub, which would be a perfect step for climbing up the tire.

-Dan

I don't love the ladder, because it advertises to people they should climb up there when you're asleep...

AEV now sell their rails that run along the tub, which would be a perfect step for climbing up the tire.

-Dan
Been following your travels Dan, and I’ll freely admit I’d be shittin’ bricks in some of the places you find yourself solo. That being said, I’d imagine 99.9% of people sneaking into your camp at night just want to steal your stuff, and would rather not climb into your bed. And for that .1%.... well a ladder hardly seems part of the equation.

Did eye those AEV corners though. And actually thought a ladder could mount to the bottom bar. Maybe even make some clips at the awning mounting points and have the ladder removable...

Last edited:
Been following your travels Dan, and I’ll freely admit I’d be shittin’ bricks in some of the places you find yourself solo. That being said, I’d imagine 99.9% of people sneaking into your camp at night just want to steal your stuff, and would rather not climb into your bed. And for that .1%.... well a ladder hardly seems part of the equation.

Did eye those AEV corners though. And actually thought a ladder could mount to the bottom bar. Maybe even make some clips at the awning mounting points and have the ladder removable...
As for stealing stuff, I never, ever, ever leave anything outside at night :)

I think you'd be surprised how many people don't realize you can get into the J30 from the outside on the side of the Jeep.
Also, it's a lot harder than you think to get in there when the zip is closed.. there is nothing to hold onto.

So I think the ladder advertises that fact you're supposed to climb up like that, AND it gives people something to hold onto while they do it and explore whatever might be up there.

So for me, it's better not to advertise the fact that it's worth climbing up the side of the vehicle.

-Dan