Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Dang, I'm wordy tonight. Sorry fellas.

2 questions:

1. Anyone have a pic or info on the Navigator headliner organizer?

2. Can my rear glass with defrost and wiper be swapped over to the J30 or are they different? If so, I could swap the plain glass that comes with the J30 over to my hard top, which will probably collect dust until I sell the Jeep. $450 is $450.

Wow, just read your response and reread my question. What was I drinking that night? Obviously my momentary thought there won't work, as stated you can't put an awning on a pop top or you have no awning when raised. I'll be using plates.

In other news I called John and left a message and was pleasantly surprised that he returned my call with an hour or so. Great guy and looks like a shoe-in for great customer service. This too is probably covered many times in the 130 pages of this thread I haven't read.

Just putting this out there. I'm planning to drive my work truck out to pick up my top when it's ready (March-ish) I'm just about to order and I live in East Tn. If anyone anywhere across the southern US is interested in much cheaper shipping on a top I'm all ears. I own my own tractor trailer (53' dry van/box trailer) and could probably move 20 of them across if there was interest. My rate would certainly be cheaper than standard shipping, just trying to offset my cost coming back across. I'll pick up some LTL freight but likely still have room but glad to do the community here a solid if I'm able. I'll be in San Diego so I can probably also help some Aluminess customers and who knows who else. PM me.
Yeah it can be slightly frustrating to get in touch with them, but as you said John (and his crew in SD) are great guys. Just need to be persistent and you’ll eventually get through.

I know it’d be a heck of a long haul, but it’s pretty damn convenient to get your Jeep there and have them install it. The wiring etc aren’t rocket surgery, but they make quick work of it. And the bonus is you’d get to give your new J30 a great workout on the trek back. Easy for me to say as I’m only in LA, but I loved leaving there and heading straight to the desert for some adventure.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Dang, I'm wordy tonight. Sorry fellas.

2 questions:

1. Anyone have a pic or info on the Navigator headliner organizer?

2. Can my rear glass with defrost and wiper be swapped over to the J30 or are they different? If so, I could swap the plain glass that comes with the J30 over to my hard top, which will probably collect dust until I sell the Jeep. $450 is $450.
1. It's awesome. I highly, highly recommend it. This is the best photo I have of mine:

2. The J30 top is based on the pre-2011 hardtop, which has narrow rear glass compared to 2011+ hard tops.
If your top is 2011+, you can't use it.
If you have a pre-2011, you might be able to use your own rear glass.. but obviously John would know for sure.

-Dan

I got a very spartan top but glad I decided to add the headliner pockets, we get quite a lot of use out of them. You can always use another spot to put stuff within arms reach. Mine is all black and you can barely tell its there, I slide things like my iPad up there when I'm not in the Jeep to keep them out of eyesight.

Well, after many years of scheming about fixing up an old 80's Land Cruiser Troopie with a camper roof, I finally came to my senses and I bought a JK Sahara Chief Edition yesterday with the hope of picking up a used ursa J30 roof to camp in with my boys while they are still young. Now all I need to do is find an Ursa owner who actually is ready to pass his roof onto our family! (It seems that Ursa owners tend to consider selling, put it up for sale and then change their mind mid negotiation). :) East coast would be best, but we may be able to travel out to you! Please PM me if you come across one for sale in the 5k range. Thanks! Don

Well, after many years of scheming about fixing up an old 80's Land Cruiser Troopie with a camper roof, I finally came to my senses and I bought a JK Sahara Chief Edition yesterday with the hope of picking up a used ursa J30 roof to camp in with my boys while they are still young. Now all I need to do is find an Ursa owner who actually is ready to pass his roof onto our family! (It seems that Ursa owners tend to consider selling, put it up for sale and then change their mind mid negotiation). :) East coast would be best, but we may be able to travel out to you! Please PM me if you come across one for sale in the 5k range. Thanks! Don
There's a link from a couple months ago in the Midwest section in Detroit area: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/ursa-minor-j30-tent-pop-up-hard-top-for-sale.198706/ guy only has one post and didn't reply to the one response back in early December.

that sucks. Seems a common thing these days. I can read 20 great reviews but I read 1 or 2 negative ones and those are the ones I think about when purchasing something. The one ursa minor I looked at in person did not impress me as far as quality goes, i thought the finish (it was black) looked bad.

That does suck. IT just doesn't seem to me that that type of thing should cost 6500- 9000 . To me the whole overlanding thing needs to be much less expensive, o_O most of us are just working stiffs with famlies. I don't mean to single out ursa minor. i love the concept . but think about it aev stuff $$$$ to put a roof top tent on you got to have a rack $$ then your tent. then you look at the trailers around 15-20K for an off road trailer. not tomention stuff like earth roamer or any truck camper. For give the rant . I am working at my desk writing reports.

That does suck. IT just doesn't seem to me that that type of thing should cost 6500- 9000 . To me the whole overlanding thing needs to be much less expensive, o_O most of us are just working stiffs with famlies. I don't mean to single out ursa minor. i love the concept . but think about it aev stuff $$$$ to put a roof top tent on you got to have a rack $$ then your tent. then you look at the trailers around 15-20K for an off road trailer. not tomention stuff like earth roamer or any truck camper. For give the rant . I am working at my desk writing reports.
or you can do like we did for years and just slept in a tent.

Thats what i do but lets just at 65 years old with a few broken bones in years past som parts just dont wake up as fast as others plus there's the issue of creepy crawly critters and bugs just sayin it woukd be nicer if it werent so expensive

It really pains me to leave a negative review, especially for a company like Ursa Minor Vehicles as I understand the difficulties of company operations. I paid approximately $8000 to Ursa Minor to order a J30 for my Jeep. After about 10-12 months I received the shipment of my unit.

The absolute first time I popped the top of the J30 in my garage after the fresh install, the canvas fabric on the tent separated from the zipper on the bottom. I contacted Ursa Minor with a picture of the hole in the tent and received an apology and was told that they "do their best to catch those issues before they leave the shop." Having confidence in Ursa Minor I expected that they would work with me to fix the canvas as now it was completely useless as water would pour into the sleeping area.

I was told by Ursa Minor on the phone to bring my Jeep to an auto upholstery shop and have them fix the issue. Although disappointed with this answer, I did bring my Jeep to an auto upholstery shop and was informed that they could stitch the hole up but stated it would never be waterproof and would likely continue to tear. The upholster walked with me around the Jeep and pointed out the shotty sew job throughout the tent, he was able to point out all the places the bobbin ran out, the stitching went off the binding etc. I paid for the shop to hand stitch the hole.

A few weeks later another hole appeared in a different area along the same line of stitching near the bottom zipper. Keep in mind that I had never even had a chance to camp in the unit at this time. (try explaining this to the significant other after you convinced her how great this investment was going to be.)

I sent numerous emails to John at Ursa Minor and after about 1 year, yes you read that correctly, he responded to my email and admitted they were having manufacturing issues with their tent maker. He gave me two options, 1) He would ship me out a new tent "not problem" right away 2) I could wait longer as he was working with another tent company and when that was finalized he would send me out a new and improved version of the tent. I informed John I would choose option 1 as I needed to get the issues fixed immediately. I sent John my shipping address and advised I would even send the original tent back to Ursa Minor.

Today is January 19, 2019, that last email took place in May 2018 where John stated he would send out a replacement tent. I still have not received a replacement tent, nor have I received any response from John or Ursa Minor even after numerous attempts at contact.

I have waited so long fighting the urge to leave a negative review as I attempt to give the benefit of the doubt as long as I can, but I do feel I was ripped off!
If anyone is interested in a copy of the complete email chain you are more than welcome to message me.

Order Number:
WEB-198 3/1/2017
Sorry to hear about what your going through. Thanks for posting it though. After reading that Ursa Minor isn't a option for me any longer.

Thats what i do but lets just at 65 years old with a few broken bones in years past som parts just dont wake up as fast as others plus there's the issue of creepy crawly critters and bugs just sayin it woukd be nicer if it werent so expensive
I am 60 and lucky still limber enough to tent it. I have a Freespirit Journey offroad trailer/tent that I bought new for a great price as it was left over (actually bought 2) for $3500. It is possible to do it much cheaper than what some of these things are going for just have to keep an eye out for deals.

I hate the price as well but it is a niche market and from what I can see the mom and pop shops owners like ursa minor seem to do okay but aren't getting filthy rich either.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. John can be slow but I am surprised he screwed this one away so bad. Hopefully he sees this thread and makes it right immediately.

I hate the price as well but it is a niche market and from what I can see the mom and pop shops owners like ursa minor seem to do okay but aren't getting filthy rich either.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. John can be slow but I am surprised he screwed this one away so bad. Hopefully he sees this thread and makes it right immediately.
Thanks for the post, I will certainly update here if there is anything further.