Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

shays4me

Adventurer
I'm trying to prewire my JK for my top that's due to be finished next month. How much of the pigtail protrudes from the B pillar and what type of plug does Ursa Minor use? They're supposed to ship me a harness but it's yet to show up and it's getting cold here. I figured If I knew what plug is used I can source it myself and get the job done!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
For those who don't follow the Venture4WD YouTube series with Chris Schontz, and who may not have seen this weeks episode on YouTube ... as a testament to durability and construction quality of the Ursa Minor pop-top, Chris flipped his Jeep on its side while travelling at speed, and wound up at rest in a water filled ditch. Except for having to dry a bunch of sleeping items out and do some work on his fuse box (which was immersed in the water), the Ursa Minor top was tough enough to come out of the crash pretty much totally unscathed.

Shaken up, but determined to push on ... this weeks YouTube episode is worth a watch as a demo of the toughness of the Jeep, the toughness of the Ursa Minor pop-top, and of course the determination and toughness of Chris, who pressed on nonetheless, while still obviously very shaken up from the crash.
Wow, I had not seen that yet.

I also put mine on it's side, and it just barely chipped the fiberglass on the roof. The J30 is extremely tough!

-Dan

larock1971

I'm trying to prewire my JK for my top that's due to be finished next month. How much of the pigtail protrudes from the B pillar and what type of plug does Ursa Minor use? They're supposed to ship me a harness but it's yet to show up and it's getting cold here. I figured If I knew what plug is used I can source it myself and get the job done!

Here’s a couple pictures of the harness connector. If memory serves, the red went to positive on the battery, black went to ground, white went to the third brake light. I tucked the connector and extra wire into the B pillar.

0D12E82C-0AFD-415E-9E33-44522F4CC6F8.jpeg

F7D09A30-A806-4347-AC13-B1296C77BD80.jpeg

Last edited:

JB30

Looking at adding some KC Gravity Pro6 lights up top. Anyone have a light bar / windshield hoop that doesn't interfere with the opening of the J30?

JB30

Look at the one Chris has on his on venture 4wd

Yeah I’ve spent many hours watching Chris’ adventures. Seems like it may be the best choice for a hoop. Although not a huge fan how it attaches / how the bar just terminates straight.

The Rugged Ridge one looks a bit more elegant to me, but some bad reviews out there.

Part of me thinks I could even just mount the lights right to the top of the J30 roof, but probably makes a mess wiring wise.

JB30

Yeah I’ve spent many hours watching Chris’ adventures. Seems like it may be the best choice for a hoop. Although not a huge fan how it attaches / how the bar just terminates straight.

The Rugged Ridge one looks a bit more elegant to me, but some bad reviews out there.

Part of me thinks I could even just mount the lights right to the top of the J30 roof, but probably makes a mess wiring wise.
Well, I went and watched a bit of Venture4wd again and bit the bullet. Thanks for the poke in the right direction @ratled. More light (and a cool looking bar) en route!

ratled

Adventurer
Well, I went and watched a bit of Venture4wd again and bit the bullet. Thanks for the poke in the right direction @ratled. More light (and a cool looking bar) en route!
I saw this video of another one with lights on it for you JB30

Last edited:

JB30

I saw this video of another one with lights on it for you JB30

Hmm... already installed the Kargo master and a set of KC Pro6’s this weekend, but would love to know how he mounted his lights centered on that light bar. The mounts that I got from KC have them sitting way above the bar. Yet another piece of the puzzle to figure out!

83D15904-9319-48CA-888A-C56AEFDFAEF3.jpeg

ratled

Adventurer
Hmm... already installed the Kargo master and a set of KC Pro6’s this weekend, but would love to know how he mounted his lights centered on that light bar. The mounts that I got from KC have them sitting way above the bar. Yet another piece of the puzzle to figure out!

View attachment 549902
That came out nice! Better than mounting them to the J30.

JB30

Anyone have recommendations for roof rack rails? Looking fro something that runs the entire length of the J30 roof, the main use being a maxtrax and solar panels mount. Although would also look to have a couple removable cross bars if I ever need to lug extra gear.