Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

ExploringJeeps

I created a video for anyone curious about how to install an Ursa Minor J30. It was a lot of work, there was some expense in the shipping charges and trailer rental, but it was a great experience. Felt great to get it all done myself.

I hope it helps someone.

Tom

goin camping

Explorer
I love all those awnings but out here in the Mojave. It would take too long and probably be a failure to set them up with the winds we get here.

Nothing to do but keep parking the jeep on a East/West axis and hide in the shade of the jeep.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
I created a video for anyone curious about how to install an Ursa Minor J30. It was a lot of work, there was some expense in the shipping charges and trailer rental, but it was a great experience. Felt great to get it all done myself.

I hope it helps someone.

Tom

Nice work! My top was installed by UM in Portland, Oregon... and your video answered a couple "I wonder how" questions I've had about the top. Specifically the wiring. Thanks for sharing.

UtahGuido

Has anyone removed their J30 for maintenance, etc? Mine's been on a year and it's getting a little creaky. Rather than snugging up the mounting bolts (which it probably could use and would help the creaking) I'm thinking of taking it off and checking out the seals, maybe put a little restorative dressing on them, and generally giving it the once over. Is this recommended maintenance? Any issue with getting it re-seated should the seals have taken a "set". John, what think you?

Gratuitous pic. Camping in Moab, by dawn's early light:IMG_0277 (2).JPG:

UtahGuido

Took the top off - no drama. Found the perfect spot to do the job under my deck. A sturdy anchor, a couple of pulleys, some rigging hardware and a come-along and voile, she’s off. Nothing amiss but it’s kinda nice to have the Jeep relieved of its load. The top ought to go back on without a problem. In the meantime it safe and sound on sawhorses under the deck and I’m driving around with a bikini top on the Jeep. What a versatile little rig - camper one day, convertible runabout the next, I’ll say this though, it’s certainly a cooler and quieter ride with the J30 installed.

6961ECDD-94AE-4C31-AD14-68A8DAFAE3CA.jpegAAA0E0B2-AC04-46DD-A5C8-E1765B50602D.jpeg

Last edited:

Gmr213

I have a couple questions for those that have the Ursa Minor side awning brackets mounted to their camper:

-What size hardware is used? Alternatively, what is the diameter of the hole drilled into the side of the camper?
-How far apart are the two holes drilled into the camper? (center to center)
-How far up is the center of the lower hole from the bottom (flat) surface of the camper?

The heat is really cranking up here in Colorado and my ARB 2000 is collecting dust in my garage as I wait for these brackets to return to stock. I can fab up something quick to get my awning back into action, however, my goal is to drill into the camper in such a way that I can swap out whatever I make and use the Ursa Minor brackets in the future.

Any help is appreciated!

JARunning

I have a couple questions for those that have the Ursa Minor side awning brackets mounted to their camper:

-What size hardware is used? Alternatively, what is the diameter of the hole drilled into the side of the camper?
-How far apart are the two holes drilled into the camper? (center to center)
-How far up is the center of the lower hole from the bottom (flat) surface of the camper?

1” center to center

1/4” bolts

18.5mm from center of lower bolt to bottom of the cutout in the camper (give or take a tiny bit if I wasn’t quite square when measuring)

700658f9af4dfa59c2c71f58c4510ced.jpg
0df0f432de34d2ce2de6112850c6e717.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles